6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Good news, then bad news, then worse news - Re: Clogged DPF and leaking radiator

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 07:32 PM
dwilliamsceg
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good news, then bad news, then worse news - Re: Clogged DPF and leaking radiator

2008 Job 1 Manual tranny - 60000 miles

I am starting a new thread to discuss my recent issues with regens. In summary, every 20miles the truck was going into regen and staying in for a long time.

I took the truck to Phil Long Motor City yesterday. They looked at it and scanned the computer and ran a PSI test on the exhaust. They said that the DPF was clogged because, as the computer showed, I kept shutting it off in the middle of regens. I explained that this started on a trip west to CO from VA about halfway and I went over a thousand miles when this started. They said that the repeated shut offs during regen eventually clogged the DPF and all but pointed the finger directly at my driving style. I asked what I should do when it takes the thing 40 miles to regen.

Anyways, they forced a manual regen, said the DPF was cleared out, and everything was okay. They also found a very small leak on the drivers side of the rail frame where coolant was leaking out. They quote me $1300 to fix it I told them that I would figure something else out.

So, on my drive home back to Woodland Park, I got about 15 miles from teh dealership when she goes into regen. I call my service manager, Clayton, and he says to watch it when it comes out. I asked him how many miles I should keep driving and he said that if it is over 10 or so, to bring it back in. Instead oh heading home, I took 67 North to Deckers and it took 30 miles for the regen process to stop. I recorded all of this on my blackberry, called Clayton and he said to bring it back in immediatley (tomorrow).

So, here's where I stand - My truck is in regen more than half the time and whatevery they did to it did not work. Plus, now I find that my radiator is leaking and, according to Clayton, it is a complex job to replace it on my own,.

I really want to ditch the damned DPF but I don't want to void the warranty.

I am taking the truck back tomorrow. Is there anything that I should bring up with them?

BTW - overall, Clayton and the folks there have been very friendly and helpful. I asked him a ton of questions and he even crawled under the truck with me to show me the leak.

Dave.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:57 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
They need to go further with the DPF issue. Check the turbos to see if they are leaking, check injectors to see if they are leaking as well.

Probably need to check the DOC as well.

As for the radiator issue, they need to test EOT/ECT split to see if you have hyperextended or sticking thermostats. If so then radiator will be covered because the true cause is thermostats.

Also suggest a pressure test to check the EGR coolers. If there is an issue there that could possible effect the DPF.

What do your tail pipes look like? Any moisture?

Old 09-21-2010, 08:29 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
as Scott says they need to investigate more.. here is another tale of trouble from insufficient diagnostics

and ps.. it is NOT YOU.. or your driving..

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...ml#post9311236

DPF is in regen cause something ELSE is causing it to fill up.

there is a TSB (Tech Service Bulletin) on how to test the pressure for the rads to determine if the thermostats are at fault.

Sam

Old 09-21-2010, 10:08 PM
dwilliamsceg
Senior User
Originally Posted by senix
They need to go further with the DPF issue. Check the turbos to see if they are leaking, check injectors to see if they are leaking as well.

Probably need to check the DOC as well.

As for the radiator issue, they need to test EOT/ECT split to see if you have hyperextended or sticking thermostats. If so then radiator will be covered because the true cause is thermostats.

Also suggest a pressure test to check the EGR coolers. If there is an issue there that could possible effect the DPF.

What do your tail pipes look like? Any moisture?
No moisture or soot on the tailpipes. Does that rule out any of what you wrote above?

Old 09-21-2010, 10:11 PM
dwilliamsceg
Senior User
Originally Posted by sdetweil
as Scott says they need to investigate more.. here is another tale of trouble from insufficient diagnostics

and ps.. it is NOT YOU.. or your driving..

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...ml#post9311236

DPF is in regen cause something ELSE is causing it to fill up.

there is a TSB (Tech Service Bulletin) on how to test the pressure for the rads to determine if the thermostats are at fault.

Sam
I am aware of the need to drive while regening but if it takes 50 miles for my regen to clear, am I supposed to do that? That's what I asked them today and they did not have an answer.

They seem genuinely desirous to help. I will drop it off tomorrow, ask some of the questions posted here and see what happens. I am ready to drop the DPF off alltogether but am concerned that it may be another issue causing the regens.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:55 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

at SOME point you have to drive to clean it.. and it should display a message.. 'drive to clean exhaust system' I've seen it once in a year.
and it MIGHT take 20 miles. never had mine go longer than 20.

here is the link to the rad tsb info
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...ml#post8341110

on the cleaning here is the op manual text
DRIVE TO CLEAN EXHAUST SYSTEM (Diesel engine only).
Displayed when the engine control module detects the Diesel particulate filter (DPF) is full of particulates and that the vehicle is not being operated in a manner to allow automatic cleaning. The vehicle operator has to drive the vehicle above 30 mph (48 km/h) for at least 20 minutes to clean the DPF. This will continue to be displayed until an adequate drive cycle is completed. This message is NORMAL.

Old 09-22-2010, 05:04 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by dwilliamsceg
No moisture or soot on the tailpipes. Does that rule out any of what you wrote above?
No does not completely rule it out, but an indication would make your case for the investigation easier.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:28 AM
dwilliamsceg
Senior User
Ok, here is another question, how long (many miles), should I go between regens? Is 15-20 normal?

Old 09-22-2010, 08:37 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Well, just reviewed the owners manual suppliments. Does not really say.

But 10-15 miles to me would be a normal event.

Just a thought, if you have fuel reciepts you may want to round them up and have them on hand. Be able to prove that you are using ULSD vs LSD or bio-fuels.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:09 AM
dwilliamsceg
Senior User
Originally Posted by senix
Well, just reviewed the owners manual suppliments. Does not really say.

But 10-15 miles to me would be a normal event.

Just a thought, if you have fuel reciepts you may want to round them up and have them on hand. Be able to prove that you are using ULSD vs LSD or bio-fuels.
I do not have fuel receipts.

Could they try and blame this on bad/incorrect fuel?

Old 09-22-2010, 09:22 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Would not think they would try to pull that, just thinking ahead. They would have to test the fuel.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:40 AM
fireman28
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your question ask how many miles should you go between regens. 20 miles between regens is way to often. Even towing heavy you should be around 70 miles between. Under normal driving with dood fuel 200-300 isn't out of the question.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:52 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

I would guess that if they take off the DPF they will get some oil smoke which is causing the DPF problem..

sam

Old 09-22-2010, 05:00 PM
whporwil
Senior User
Two weeks ago I left Tucson. heading towards Minnesota. The first day across Arizona and New Mexico my 450 started to regen often, mine happens to have the 4.88 rear end. I was getting 30 miles between regen, with the regens taking 15 to 20 miles to clear. The temp outside was 100+ degrees, I had a slight head wind and was driving 65 to 70 mph pulling a 39 ft 5th wheel. We spent the night in Las Vegas New Mexico and the next morning the temp was in the high 50tys and our first regen came at 157 miles. I have never had that towing it's usually about 100 miles and the rest of the day was normal. I also saw some thing else that morning from L.V. into Colorado I got 13 mpg on my first tank. I slowed down that day and tried to stay at 60mph had cooler temps, had the wind behind me and it was down hill a lot. Do your traveling condition compare to this? My truck seems to be acting normal now.

Old 09-22-2010, 05:13 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by whporwil
Two weeks ago I left Tucson. heading towards Minnesota. The first day across Arizona and New Mexico my 450 started to regen often, mine happens to have the 4.88 rear end. I was getting 30 miles between regen, with the regens taking 15 to 20 miles to clear. The temp outside was 100+ degrees, I had a slight head wind and was driving 65 to 70 mph pulling a 39 ft 5th wheel. We spent the night in Las Vegas New Mexico and the next morning the temp was in the high 50tys and our first regen came at 157 miles. I have never had that towing it's usually about 100 miles and the rest of the day was normal. I also saw some thing else that morning from L.V. into Colorado I got 13 mpg on my first tank. I slowed down that day and tried to stay at 60mph had cooler temps, had the wind behind me and it was down hill a lot. Do your traveling condition compare to this? My truck seems to be acting normal now.
I think you had some bad fuel and that caused the regens. Even when I was out West in July in 100+ my regens were normal.

Quick Reply: Good news, then bad news, then worse news - Re: Clogged DPF and leaking radiator