1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1999 F250 4x4 problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 10:35 AM
blk88notch
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 F250 4x4 problem

4x4 Does not work i started off checking the **** on dash has no power can someone tell me where this **** wiring leads to

Old 09-20-2010, 10:54 AM
Federal Mogul Dave
New User
I am interested in talking with anyone who has a problem with the ESOF. I am redesigning the hub seal, which is a cronic problem with the ESOF system. if you have any information, email me at david.rupp@federalmogul.com and I can try to help you

Old 09-20-2010, 11:08 AM
jaytoro7
New User
To the GEM I believe, behind the fuse box. I am having a similiar problem, but I have approx 6v at the switch. I have a diagram, but will have to find the link when I get home. But if memory serves me, Switch goes to GEM, GEM goes to Relays under hood, relays go to Transfer case motor and vacuum soleniod. And the switch seems to be create resistance not necassarily power to the GEM.

Old 09-20-2010, 01:17 PM
Federal Mogul Dave
New User
I have a diagnostic diagram information and instructions procedure I can email to you, let me know if this would help.

Old 09-20-2010, 02:52 PM
blk88notch
Junior User
If anyone know what wire has to have power behind the **** let me know or post up pics or a site for the wiring schamtics for this truck.

Old 09-20-2010, 03:15 PM
Federal Mogul Dave
New User
What is your email address, I can send you what I got off of Alldata

Old 09-20-2010, 05:48 PM
blk88notch
Junior User
Originally Posted by Federal Mogul Dave
What is your email address, I can send you what I got off of Alldata
Blc88notch@yahoo.com

Old 09-20-2010, 06:28 PM
jaytoro7
New User
Dark blue!

DB and white/lt blue go to the GEM. What you need to test the Switch is test the middle two connectors resistance on the switch unplugged. For 2wd it should have 3900 ohm, 4wd 1100 ohm, 4lo 360 ohm. This is the middle two connectors on the switch. Outside two go to illumination on switch and dash.

Old 09-20-2010, 08:28 PM
blk88notch
Junior User
Originally Posted by jaytoro7
Dark blue!

DB and white/lt blue go to the GEM. What you need to test the Switch is test the middle two connectors resistance on the switch unplugged. For 2wd it should have 3900 ohm, 4wd 1100 ohm, 4lo 360 ohm. This is the middle two connectors on the switch. Outside two go to illumination on switch and dash.
Well I tried with my test light and got nothing I need a diagram to show me where power starts
I also can't find the GEM in my truck. But what else does the GEM run beside 4x4 if it does would that other stuff work fine or would it not

Old 09-21-2010, 12:40 PM
jaytoro7
New User
You will have to ground to someplace other than the switch to test for power.

The GEM controls a lot: power locks, wipers, 4x4, headlamp, more. It is on the back, attached and behind, of the fuse box in mine.

I am having a very similar problem. Nothing happens when I switch the dash ****. I have power to the switch, and corect resistance from the switch. I tested the fuses, all are ok. I have power at the relays and all wires are connected. The transfer case motor does not get power, but will run on direct power, and with direct power I can change to 4hi or lo, and the dash indicates this switch. All other functions from the GEM are working.

I either have a code coming from the transfer case position sensor or the transmission sensor that is not allowing the 4x4 to engage via the GEM, or the GEM is just shot. I am taking mine to the dealership this week to have codes read, $87 just to read. I will let you know my outcome.

Doing the math though, I figure the GEM will run me about $500 to repair. $87 for the diagnosis, a discount from partsguyed, another $100 for the dealership to program new GEM.

Unless it is a broken wire I am figuring for a big ticket expense.

Wiring diagrams here: EBSCOhost - world?s foremost premium research database service

login marshall
ps public

goto auto repair reference center....from there its just picking your vehicle.

Old 09-21-2010, 05:06 PM
blk88notch
Junior User
Originally Posted by jaytoro7
You will have to ground to someplace other than the switch to test for power.

The GEM controls a lot: power locks, wipers, 4x4, headlamp, more. It is on the back, attached and behind, of the fuse box in mine.

I am having a very similar problem. Nothing happens when I switch the dash ****. I have power to the switch, and corect resistance from the switch. I tested the fuses, all are ok. I have power at the relays and all wires are connected. The transfer case motor does not get power, but will run on direct power, and with direct power I can change to 4hi or lo, and the dash indicates this switch. All other functions from the GEM are working.

I either have a code coming from the transfer case position sensor or the transmission sensor that is not allowing the 4x4 to engage via the GEM, or the GEM is just shot. I am taking mine to the dealership this week to have codes read, $87 just to read. I will let you know my outcome.

Doing the math though, I figure the GEM will run me about $500 to repair. $87 for the diagnosis, a discount from partsguyed, another $100 for the dealership to program new GEM.

Unless it is a broken wire I am figuring for a big ticket expense.

Wiring diagrams here: EBSCOhost - world?s foremost premium research database service

login marshall
ps public

goto auto repair reference center....from there its just picking your vehicle.
Cool thanks for the info I get no power at all to the switch. So i am goona start there. But i had autozone run a test and the came up with something for the transfer case motor not getting power so i have to start with the switch first. Thanks for all the info.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:20 AM
blk88notch
Junior User
Does anybody know what fuse/relay is for the 4x4 switch on the dash

Old 09-22-2010, 02:37 PM
jaytoro7
New User
from what I understand it goes through the GEM, that is fuse 15 i think.

Old 09-23-2010, 08:23 PM
blk88notch
Junior User
So I tired to trace back the line to the gem but didn't feel like ripping tape of. But when I put the test light on the gem where the white blue line goes to get nothing. But when I put test light to solid blue I get test light going on and off. So my guess is its the GEM bad is t common for only the 4x4 to go out on the GEM and everything else alright. I also do have a problem with my lock button not enough power to unlock and lock could this also be the GEM looking for opoions. Should I replace GEM and if so to it have to be reprogramed by ford.

Old 09-24-2010, 02:01 PM
jaytoro7
New User
The lock problem is covered in other forums, I just fixed mine. It is a resistor inside the actuator.

Before I did the GEM I would take it in for diagnostic. I was shocked to learn my problem was the transfer motor.

Quick Reply: 1999 F250 4x4 problem