2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mothers "Back to Black" usage - grey FX4 fender flares

Old 09-19-2010, 06:58 PM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Mothers "Back to Black" usage - grey FX4 fender flares

Hey guys. I was given an opportunity to use the Mothers "Back to Black" product this weekend on my truck. I was looking for a way to "restore" the faded grey fender flares that are on my FX4.
Upon first use, and day one, I can say that I'm pretty happy with the product. It went on nicely, didn't streak when I got a little on the paint, and soaked into the faded plastic nicely. I had to do a few coats in some areas, but overall I'm pleased thus far.
Here are some pictures:

1. Rear passenger flare. Before

2. Rear passenger flare. 1/2 coverage

3. Front passenger flare. Before

4. Front passenger flare. 1/2 coverage

5. Front passenger flare. Full coverage

6. Entire truck. Passenger side. Full coverage

I'll take more pics as the week progresses to see the lasting power of this product.

I also did the plastic cowl cover (it looked horrible "before") but I could not get a good picture of it as the sun was going down, and had set by the time I finished.

Stay tuned....

Old 09-19-2010, 07:08 PM
bridge
Sick 'n Tired
Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts
Looks good. Post a pic every week so we can see how long it lasts. I use Turtle Wax Ice and it generally lasts about a month in the heat in humidity.

Old 09-19-2010, 07:15 PM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Thanks bridge!

We certainly don't have the heat/humidty here in Central VA that you do in Houston. We have some, but it just doesn't compare.

I'll be sure to make weekly updates on this. We're in a bit of a drought right now, so I don't know if it'll get rained on anytime soon, but we'll see.

Old 09-19-2010, 09:24 PM
fx4pitrone
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd be very interested in the lasting results update on this as well... My flares on my 05 FX4 are practically white!!

Old 09-20-2010, 06:41 AM
jpcjguy
Senior User
Looks great! Time will tell.... I have pretty much resolved that no matter what you use, prepare to re-apply often..

Old 09-20-2010, 06:49 AM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Let's just say that the Back to Black bottle is in a place where I can get to it easily.

I only did the flares and the cowl. I did not do the bed rails as they are just that, bed rails. It's a truck and they're already a little beat up, and they will only get worse. Honestly the bed rails are less noticeable in my eyes anyhow. The flares and cowl were an eye-sore

I used between 1 and 2 ounces of the 8 ounce bottle. I would like to have this last 3-4 weeks per application, and hopefully more depending upon weather.

We'll see.

Old 09-20-2010, 06:52 AM
shotgunz
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A lot of owners have had success with a heat gun.

YouTube - Using a heat gun to restore automotive plastics

Old 09-20-2010, 07:21 AM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Thanks Charlie. I'll have to check that out tonight at home. Corporate has cut access to all video on our network. Apparently watching vid's all day takes up too much bandwidth...go figure

Old 09-20-2010, 07:31 AM
Matt983
Senior User
Thats pretty cool stuff!! Nice looking truck too!

Old 09-20-2010, 10:18 AM
Coskid
Postmaster
I did my cowl over a month ago now with the Back to Black and it still looks great. The flares I have had to reapply more often but it still works just be careful to wipe off excess.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:03 AM
93MARKIII
Senior User
Originally Posted by shotgunz
A lot of owners have had success with a heat gun.

YouTube - Using a heat gun to restore automotive plastics

just so you guys know.....
the heat gun works wonders....and it gets the job done with no chemicals, and it will last as long as the original condition did the first time.....

heat gun trivia......you are not melting the trim as some might think, although you could if you staid in one spot too long.....IMO, if you do that, you were trying to do it......you will get color back long before you melt anything....

what you are actually doing, is pulling the pigment back up into the top layer of oxidized material.....
the key to a perfect job is over lapping(just like spray painting) and attention to detail....

have fun and impress the misses !....it works great !!

some of us live in harsher environments then others, so results will vary....but as a rule of thumb, if your plastics went south in 2 years with little to no protection, then you can expect around 2 years or so after using a heat gun.....chemical protection afterwards will increase that time im sure......
im not sure how many times you can do this, i have not had a need to do it again to the same plastics so that i cant speak on....

Old 09-20-2010, 12:40 PM
MCDavis
Hotshot
So the heat gun intrigues me and has me thinking even further. Could one heat the plastic AND apply a product like BtoB? Would it open the pores and allow further penetration of the product? Just brainstorming here...instead of working.

Old 09-20-2010, 12:52 PM
shotgunz
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by MCDavis
So the heat gun intrigues me and has me thinking even further. Could one heat the plastic AND apply a product like BtoB? Would it open the pores and allow further penetration of the product? Just brainstorming here...instead of working.
You probably could, but it won't help or accomplish anything. If you get the plastic hot enough to get anything into the molecular struture, you're likely going to have a real mess (and maybe even damage).

All the products do is sit on the surface of the plastic. Some adhere better than others. Some provide better UV protection than others.

My personal favorite is 303 Protectant.

And FWIW and IMHO, Armor All is worthless.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:58 PM
evilwayz7
Senior User
I also use the Back to Black but it just doesn't last long. I found this stuff and it seems to be a more permanent fix. I am going to try it next. Its called Wurth Stone Guard. Here is a website showing some results http://www.properautocare.com/howcanirefao.html.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:24 PM
93MARKIII
Senior User
Originally Posted by MCDavis
i think that would be a waste of time and material....and could possibly lead to a real mess.....

the heat from the gun is pulling the pigment back up to the surface, so there wouldnt be anywhere for the BtoB to soak into.....it might "soak" in on a nano scale level, but your still going to make a mess.....

plastics look the best when there is nothing on them and they are fresh and new looking......thats what the heat gun will give you!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mothers "Back to Black" usage - grey FX4 fender flares