1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

OT Pics of my 'new' diesel DD. Now I can bogart my Superduty miles!

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 06:15 PM
binuya
Fleet Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
OT Pics of my 'new' diesel DD. Now I can bogart my Superduty miles!

Actually I've been needing a daily driver due to the short distances I drive frequently. Mainly dropping off the kids at school and my work commute. I knew I wanted another diesel, and I wanted one as tough as my truck. The 3 litre Mercedes Benz 5 cylinder turbodiesel is one of those engines. All cast iron, rugged IP, simple like a tractor, and powerful enough for spirited driving. I found this one which fits the bill. An '83 300D. It has only 114k miles on it. It does have a salvage/rebuilt title, which is fine with me in light of the low miles.(Evidently spent a long time sitting in storage before it was repaired) It was rear ended, with crash damage limited to aft of the rear axle. (All new sheetmetal; trunk, rear clip, etc.) Mechanicals are all excellent with the exception of a few vacuum issues I need to track down. Cosmetically it's in nice shape, but not so I nice I fret about it. Perfect DD material.

Old 09-20-2010, 06:31 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Awesome Alvin, those motors run forever. Nice find and good luck..

Old 09-20-2010, 07:10 PM
kccatpower
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
good looking car, i have also been thinking about replacing the dd for a diesel car almost forgot about the benzes. let us know how you like it.

Old 09-20-2010, 08:47 PM
Blackbeltdually
Cross-Country

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
With such a great find it is clear that pretty soon you will have to find some mods to do. It's my experience that we can't help ourselves. Have fun!

Old 09-20-2010, 10:05 PM
binuya
Fleet Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by big poppa
Awesome Alvin, those motors run forever. Nice find and good luck..
Thanks Mike. Like our 7.3's these 5 cylinder engines easily reach 3k-5k with no major issues.
Originally Posted by kccatpower
good looking car, i have also been thinking about replacing the dd for a diesel car almost forgot about the benzes. let us know how you like it.
Of all the diesel sedans out there in the $2k-$7k price bracket, the 1976-1985 W123 models are hard to beat. The production run was over 2.5 million, and parts are plentiful and relatively cheap. And they are wonderful to drive. For a basic Mercedes model, the build quality is top notch,and quite amazing how well they have held up for being over 20 years old.
Originally Posted by Blackbeltdually
With such a great find it is clear that pretty soon you will have to find some mods to do. It's my experience that we can't help ourselves. Have fun!
...........I've already started.........

Old 09-21-2010, 07:33 AM
RFD_Truckie
Senior User
Very nice... Hard to beat a Benz.....

My DD is a 2000 VW Golf Tdi.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:55 AM
papadelogan
Snowboard season cometh..

My DD is still my F250, but I have a 96 Passat TDI that gets ~50mpg highway and looks crappy enough that I will park it *ALMOST* anywhere (but I'm not stupid!)

Old 09-21-2010, 08:51 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
Congrats on the find.
The only "weak spot" that I can recall about those MB cruisers is the steering box mounts tend to loosen up.
Then the frame get's cracked, so keep a sharp eye on the mounting bolts for the steering box.
Double roller timing chain IIRC so it should go a LONG way.
And my DD is a '99 Jetta TDI as well. Just as reliable except it has a timing belt that must be changed periodically.

Old 09-21-2010, 08:58 AM
DieselOrings
SPONSOR

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by papadelogan
My DD is still my F250, but I have a 96 Passat TDI that gets ~50mpg highway and looks crappy enough that I will park it *ALMOST* anywhere (but I'm not stupid!)
Come on Brendan, I've seen your Passat and I didn't think it looked all that bad!

Specializing in Viton® o-rings and leak repair kits for the 7.3L and 6.0L diesels
(970) 368-4455 aka guzzle
guzzle's Mods & Maintenance website