Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dual tank to 38 gallon conversion

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 11:44 PM
Music4Life
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dual tank to 38 gallon conversion

Hey everyone i'm new to this forum so first off i'd like to say hi to everyone. I bought a 1989 ford f-150 custom, 5.0, 5-speed about 6 months ago and ever since then i'v been working on it replacing nearly everything. I recently have become fed up with the dual tank system in this thing. I'v replaced all 3 fuel pumps, dash mounted switch, and relay and im STILL having issues with the front tank fuel pump not coming on. I'v been stranded at least 4 times on the side of the road since i'v bought this truck because it "runs out of gas" when the damn tank is completely full . Anyways, I'm at the point now where i just want to bypass the front tank and just put one big tank in the back and be done with it. I found online from AutoZone this company Spectra Premium that makes a 38 gallon tank that fits where the smaller 19 gallon back tank goes with a few alterations to the sending unit. My question is has anybody done this conversion, what exactly is involved, and is this a big job or a pain in the ***? My bother fortunately has a lift at his place and can get there on a weekend but i don't want to buy this thing and not be able to do this.

Old 09-13-2010, 11:49 PM
DIYiT
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know if it's specific to the Spectra tank, but all extended tanks I've read about require you to remove the spare tire. I'm not sure what you need to do about the sending unit or pump, so I can't help you there.

Old 09-14-2010, 12:00 AM
Music4Life
New User
yeah, i looked under there today and realized that i would have to ditch the spare tire. I also realized I would have to bypass the dual function reservoir as well since it would be only running one tank so i'm sure i have to use some sort of connector to connect the hoses from the back tank to the hose from the front fuel pump. I mean, It sounds pretty straight forward but I don't know anybody that did the conversion before so i don't want to open a can of worms before talking to somebody about it doing it first.

Old 09-14-2010, 12:07 AM
ford005
Senior User
Get a bronco tank, sender/fuel pump assembly and the related straps and skid plates...plug and play as long as it is the same year (87-89 in your case). It's 32 gal, but usually you can find them locally cheap and complete...even new they are affordable.

Old 09-14-2010, 12:15 AM
Music4Life
New User
ok i looked it up and yeah it would be a lot cheaper to go that route. tank is only $114 new. will i still need two fuel pumps? or can i just use a high pressure fuel pump to replace the external? the bronco fuel pump looks like its a high flow and do i use the straps and skid plate for the bronco?

Old 09-14-2010, 01:08 AM
ford005
Senior User
I haven't looked at a bronco tank lately (got a frame out back I can look at tomorrow), but you may be able to space down the original straps/skid to make up the difference.

You should be able to stick with your current pump setup or you can convert to the single pump...I think that would be up to you and how much work you want to do. If you find a used tank complete with the single intank pump, I would use it. If you are buying new stuff, use the dual pump setup seeing as you said you put new pumps in already.

87-89 are dual and 90-96 are single.

Old 09-14-2010, 01:25 AM
Music4Life
New User
ahhhh ok, it all makes sense now lol. I get the bronco tank with the bronco fuel pump. the 89 bronco used 2 pumps like the setup in my truck. I need the bronco fuel pump cause its longer then the f-150 unless i cut and modify my fuel pump which might be a hassle. Just need some bolts to extend the straps like you said just need to know what size for the bolts. sounds like its should be an easy swap. let me know if you get a look at that tank.

Old 09-14-2010, 01:35 AM
ford005
Senior User
Just to clarify, the pumps are the same from 89 bronco and 89 F150...it is the pick up/level sending unit that is longer. Your pump will fit into it.

Now, I am not sure if the single in-tank pump is the same size or larger than the dual pump in-tank pump (I don't know if I have ever compared them). BUT, in theory, you should be able to put your pump in the single in-tank pump pick-up/sending unit and then it shouldn't matter which tank and pick-up you use.

Old 09-14-2010, 01:45 AM
Music4Life
New User
yeah, i just looked and they are different. actually the kit that comes with that spectra premium tank modifies the fuel pump to make it longer so it will be able to pick up all the fuel

http://www.jcwhitney.com/jcwhitney/s...ctions_852.pdf

So im guessing if i used the bronco tank id have to do the same thing or my old fuel pump wont be long enough to pick up all the fuel. That or see if the bronco fuel pump would be able to replace my current fuel pump. I Found that specta tank for 188 bucks online with the kit and everything included with the extension bolts for the straps. I'm starting to think it might be a better option then trying to swap out fuel pumps.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:47 AM
sufferingant
Senior User
Removing the midship tank on 91 F150 4.9 inline6

this may help with converting to the single tank setup

Old 09-14-2010, 11:19 AM
robprime
Senior User
Hey Music,

I recently installed a '93 Bronco tank into my FlareSide. I think I have a couple pics around here somewhere.

A couple things that might make it a bit easier for you.

The width between the frame rails is the same,or was on my '92 and the Bronco, so that's ok.

I got mine at the local junkyard. $50 for the tank, skidplate, straps and such. Removing everything myself.

The Bronco tanks are supported by the skid plate and the straps are used to hold the tank down onto it instead of holding the tank up against the frame like a regular F-150.

This will all be much easier if the bed is removed.

Locating the tank F/R is pretty simple. I started where the factory crossmember above the rear end is, making sure I had clearance there, for the front part of the tank and then worked back. At the rear I cut a piece of stout angle iron, about 2 1/2" x 3/16" min. to fit between the rails and rest on the inside frame lips. Drilled and bolted that down where the back edge of the skidplate could be bolted to it.

This initial fab work can be done using the skidplate alone. Just make sure you don't squeeze or distort the skidplate out of shape, so that the tank will fit inside properly.

Once I had that set, I found that I needed to spacer the skidplate down a bit for clearance with the bed. I found that some 1 1/4" square tubing was perfect and I cut that to fit between the frame rail lips and throughbolted everything together, the skidplate, spacer tubing, and angle iron/frame member.

The tank strap holes in the factory crossmember will accept the Bronco straps, you just have to drill some holes at the angle iron end to catch the strap bolts.

If this sounds like something you want to do, just say so and I'll describe the rest of the install details and take a few pics for you.

Rob

Old 09-14-2010, 12:22 PM
robprime
Senior User
While I'm thinking about it, tho, let me mention a couple other things.

I don't know what lengths you want to go to. Personally, I removed the whole dual tank fuel system from the engine fuel rails back and trashed it, except for the wiring.

I bought 25' of 3/8" alum fuel line from Summit and cut that into two pieces for the pressure and return lines, and 10' of braided steel hose, also 3/8", which I cut into 4 pieces and used on the ends of the alum tubing to provide a bit of flexibility at the engine and tank. This was plenty for my short wheelbase FlareSide.

Doing it like this requires a number of alum. fittings to join the tubing to the hose but they are readily available. I used the black Summit brand and they worked fine.

One other thing I did was place a canister type Fram fuel filter in the pressure line and bolted it to the frame, so I wouldn't have to hassle with Fords 'quick disconnect', haha, fuel line fittings whenever I change my fuel filter.

There are also fittings out there (Earles, I believe) that will mate the SS hose to the factory fuel pump and fuel rail connectors.

My truck only had a pump in each tank and a selector switch on the dash. So I don't know what kind of wiring you have to deal with, the 3 pump thing and all.

I just bought a new pump and went to NPD and bought a sending unit, because for some reason I wasn't able to find a setup already together. It was no biggie putting that together tho, just followed the instuctions.

Wiring wise, I only had 4 wires to each pump, 2 to power the pump and 2 for the sending unit, in the factory harness. I just taped up the front connector and wire-tied it securely out of the way.

I searched the junkyards until I found a dash bezel that was made for a single tank truck, no switch, and used that. You just gotta figure out which wires run the rear tank.
I discovered that by cutting off the little locator nub on the wiring harness connector at the dash and turning the connector upside down when plugging it into the bezel, it ran the rear pump wires perfectly.

Damn, this has become a long post.

I'm taking a break.

Rob

Old 09-14-2010, 04:16 PM
Music4Life
New User
thank you guys for all this information its really useful. I ordered that spectra tank today cause i found one on Ebay none the less for 100 bucks, never used, with all the hardware. Yeah, i have the 3 pump set up robprime. If i remove the reservoir your saying i can use some fittings to just connect the back tank to the factory fuel pump and fuel rail connectors and bypass the front tank system completely? have you done this? I think thats the route i want to go just remove the front tank and sender unit all together and just mate the fuel lines bypassing the reservoir. I like that fuel filter idea too. All i need to know is what fittings to use to mate the 2 lines from the rear tank to the lines to the external fuel pump. any idea? seems like if i do that, remove the front tank and fuel pump sending unit, ill be good to go. Also leaves room for dual exhaust setup now too

Old 09-14-2010, 05:30 PM
Music4Life
New User
2 - 3/8" barb fitting both sides. but them in between pressure and return lines from back tank to pressure and fuel return line from external fuel pump hence bypassing reservoir.

that sound right?

Old 09-14-2010, 07:50 PM
robprime
Senior User
Yeah, everything is much more open and cleaner looking with the front tank removed and plenty of room for dual exhaust.

Using that aftermarket tank sounds much easier to do than what I did. It probably is shaped to directly replace the original one and will only need longer straps to install.

Did you say you're using an external pump? Mine were internal and I went with that when I redid things. I looked in my manual about the 3 pump thing. Looks like a real mess. I'd be wanting to get rid of as much of that as I could.

I don't know if I'd use barbed fittings on the pressure line. Ford fuel injection system pressure is about 43.5 psi on the pressure line. They might be ok for the return line, which doesn't have much pressure. And I think the lines might be 5/16 inside diameter. It should be printed on the line. 7.9 mm if I remember right. I'd try to find some compression type fittings for the pressure side if you have to do any splicing.

The metal ends of the lines were two different sizes on mine. 3/8" for the pressure line and 5/16" for the return.