1950 Ford truck rebuild? - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1950 Ford truck rebuild?

Old 05-01-2017, 10:58 PM
FortyNiner
Postmaster
FortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud of
Wow. Back from the past. The truck looks really straight and complete - the perfect starting point. Enjoy the journey.

Old 05-02-2017, 01:05 PM
Silver54
Elder User
Silver54 has much to be proud ofSilver54 has much to be proud ofSilver54 has much to be proud ofSilver54 has much to be proud ofSilver54 has much to be proud ofSilver54 has much to be proud ofSilver54 has much to be proud ofSilver54 has much to be proud ofSilver54 has much to be proud of
Glad to see that you are now in a position to give the old truck some loving. Looks good!

Old 05-02-2017, 01:20 PM
tip49
Posting Guru
tip49 is a splendid one to beholdtip49 is a splendid one to beholdtip49 is a splendid one to beholdtip49 is a splendid one to beholdtip49 is a splendid one to beholdtip49 is a splendid one to beholdtip49 is a splendid one to beholdtip49 is a splendid one to behold
Points for keeping the truck and getting back at it !

Nice to see you still have the truck, and now the ambition to get it rolling again.

Should be a nice project to share with your son.

Is you plan still to get the stock engine running. if so kudos.

Tom

Old 05-02-2017, 03:05 PM
yosemite98
Senior User
yosemite98 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by tip49 View Post

Is you plan still to get the stock engine running. if so kudos.

Tom
Yep, at this point it's got all the stock parts and I'm replacing with "new" original. Got a 6 volt battery, replaced wiring with harness online (factory wiring was still on so it was an easy switch out), still has generator, gauges look good, 2 barrel carb, oil bath, etc. I can move crankshaft by hand (moving pulley wheel) with all the new belts connected. Points and distributor look good ( cap and wires and plugs replaced 30 years ago by my dad). It was out of the rain, and looks like it did 25 years ago... with no more (or less!) rust. Also good, the oil bath had oil in it still, so it kept bugs and dust out of the carb intake from what i can tell.

I'll be cranking it up in a week or two. Then i'll know if i have more work to do.

Old 05-02-2017, 06:21 PM
Larryjr03
Junior User
Larryjr03 is starting off with a positive reputation.
[QUOTE=yosemite98;619977]Actually I'm in Texas, yosemite is short for Yosemite Sam(Warner Bros cartoon character). But I can't wait to get to Yosemite National Park again!

As far as I know, everything is stock. I don't know what rear end or gears it has. I'm somewhat of a purist, although really only in the way it looks. If it comes to it I have no problem dropping in a 351w and a newer tranny though.

Anybody ever give their older trucks a 4"-6" lift? I'd like to do that to my Bronco and would like to see what that looks like on an older truck(1950's) as well.

Everyone and his brother runs a Ford or Chev small block.If you want to stand out from the crowd, keep the Flathead !

Old 05-02-2017, 06:24 PM
Larryjr03
Junior User
Larryjr03 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by yosemite View Post
I agree utvol1984. I talked to someone who said they could do it b/c the metal is so thick on older trucks that it wouldn't hurt it and would turn out pretty good. If someone has had a bad experience doing this please let us know!

Brian
Years back I had a so called " Knowledgeable" shop sand blast and warp the **** out of my '48 F-1 hood, and thats 18 ga. steel. Find another method !!!!

Old 05-02-2017, 07:29 PM
acl9865
Senior User
acl9865 is starting off with a positive reputation.
If you end up blasting the body (and I may have jumped in too late here) definitely check out crushed glass, walnut shell, or even glass bead blasting. Just bought a Brut 99H blaster for $460 shipped and after a few months of research with body resto shops and blasting companies that seems to be the best for the money and the best media options for paint/rust/grime removal.

Old 05-03-2017, 05:26 PM
sere0501
Senior User
sere0501 has a very good reputation on FTE.sere0501 has a very good reputation on FTE.sere0501 has a very good reputation on FTE.sere0501 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Brian,
Lots of great advice about sand/media blasting. However, I hope you don't use any of it because that truck looks awesome the way it is! You said you are a bit of a purest when it comes to looks...... Keep it man, it looks great. Either way, enjoy that truck and teach your kids to drive in it someday. Just had my 15 year old driving mine for the first time last weekend. Great memories.

Old 05-03-2017, 07:40 PM
yosemite98
Senior User
I agree, 14 years ago when I posted the first post in this thread I was thinking about it, but I really like the way it looks too. Some have suggested Eastwood's Patina Preserver... sticky clear coat from what i can tell that stays on a few years.

I am going to make the inside look nice. I think that would be a cool contrast, rusty old truck with a nice interior (stock though).

Old 05-06-2017, 08:51 PM
KirkF
Senior User
KirkF is starting off with a positive reputation.
Wow this is quite the thread. Proof that once something is on the internet it's there forever.

That's a good looking truck. In my opinion a truck that complete deserves to stay as original as possible with its flathead 8.

Good luck, and please don't make us wait 14 years for another update.

Kirk

Old 05-07-2017, 12:39 AM
ben73058
Postmaster
ben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to behold
Hey Brian,
You had me going there for a bit. You said you were in Texas but that picture of your
truck in the driveway has some beautiful mountains in the background. Texas has everything
of course but ... we don't have snow covered mountains. Keep us posted... I love seeing another '50 get
brought back to life.

Good luck over there. Post any questions as you go.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Old 05-08-2017, 10:33 PM
Brian1950F4
Junior User
Brian1950F4 is starting off with a positive reputation.
This posting is very encouraging one for me. I got my 50 in 1987. It was parked in 1995. With the help of some knowledgeable friends we just got it running again recently. I am anxious to get started working on it again. Amazing how life tends to get in the way.

Old 05-08-2017, 11:24 PM
yosemite98
Senior User
Originally Posted by ben73058 View Post
Hey Brian,
You had me going there for a bit. You said you were in Texas but that picture of your
truck in the driveway has some beautiful mountains in the background. Texas has everything
of course but ... we don't have snow covered mountains. Keep us posted... I love seeing another '50 get
brought back to life.

Good luck over there. Post any questions as you go.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1
I was in Texas when I started this thread. About 6 months later I moved to Colorado... and got into outdoor hobbies (hiking, skiing, 4 wheelin). Then life happened and it was 14 years later. But, I'm about 2 weeks away from first startup now after working on it for 1.5 months when i could find time.

I have a carb rebuild kit but have no idea what to clean with or anything. It leaks at the base when I put carb cleaner in it so it's probably good to at the very least replace that gasket if it's all i do before trying to start it up.

I'll take pictures when i get it running outside where lighting is better than the garage.

Old 05-08-2017, 11:57 PM
FortyNiner
Postmaster
FortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud of
Best advice I got was to buy a bucket of Berryman Chem-Dip Carb Cleaner. Comes in a gallon bucket that allows for full imersion. Available at most any car parts house. And it works!

Old 05-23-2017, 10:02 PM
yosemite98
Senior User
Originally Posted by FortyNiner View Post
Best advice I got was to buy a bucket of Berryman Chem-Dip Carb Cleaner. Comes in a gallon bucket that allows for full imersion. Available at most any car parts house. And it works!
Advice taken and i have some Berryman...

The brakes work after bleeding and all new lines/cylinders... So that was cool, and we tried starting last weekend with no luck. Cranks well, moves fluid on both sides (and both pumps leak... lol), lights on dash work, temperature sender goes to Cold (at Hot when off), oil pressure sender works as I crank (increases). But, the new fuel pump wasn't sucking, and when i took it off I realized I didn't have it seated correctly. Fixed that issue, but we weren't getting any spark either. Power was at coil, but no resistance on coil... so i replaced the coil now.

So, I'm ready to try again, maybe tomorrow, for sure this weekend. Wish me luck! My plan is to start, set carb, check radiator for bubbles or blow out when revved (for a head gasket issue), check temp on gauge and both sides by hand, then stop... check oil, check for leaks everywhere, then start it up again and let it get to operating temp. I'm really hoping the engine is fine (as it was when we parked it).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1950 Ford truck rebuild?

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.