2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Fully-Boxed Frame on SuperDuty: Your Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 06:21 AM
Super08
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The biggest think I hate about Chevys is the dang transmission mount hangs so low it drags over everything. That is the biggest cause of us getting stuck at work with them. The shop has a non-stop supply of them coming in as they are replacing them steady.

Old 05-29-2011, 09:56 AM
Furian
You Keep What You Kill
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Furian
The Ford Super Duty uses the Open-C-frame to support the mutiple OEM configurations and the 2nd-unit aftermarket. See video for details.

YouTube - Video 2008 Ford SuperDuty - Frame Strength
Note: Ford uses the boxed frame in the front of the truck... the Open-C-frame is only used in the back for reasons stated above. IMO, Ford recognizes the benefits of the boxed frame by the fact that it is used in the front of the frame.

Old 05-29-2011, 10:48 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
The boxed frame deal is just a marketing ploy. Just wait after a few years when people start having problems. I foresee not only rust problems with the frame (toyota recall) but also bent/tweeked frames and/or cracked/broken frames. Pretty much everything "new" sounds great until it is real world tested like the 6.0.

Old 05-29-2011, 10:48 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Originally Posted by Furian
Note: Ford uses the boxed frame in the front of the truck... the Open-C-frame is only used in the back for reasons stated above. IMO, Ford recognizes the benefits of the boxed frame by the fact that it is used in the front of the frame.
The '97-03 F150s had a fully boxed front frame as well. I wonder why they changed it...

Old 05-29-2011, 10:51 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Snowseeker
The boxed frame deal is just a marketing ploy. Just wait after a few years when people start having problems. I foresee not only rust problems with the frame (toyota recall) but also bent/tweeked frames and/or cracked/broken frames. Pretty much everything "new" sounds great until it is real world tested like the 6.0.
Fully boxed frames aren't in any way, shape, or form new. They've been around for a long time; my '95 Blazer had a fully boxed frame! And it wasn't rusted through!!!

Old 05-29-2011, 11:04 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Crazy001
Fully boxed frames aren't in any way, shape, or form new. They've been around for a long time; my '95 Blazer had a fully boxed frame! And it wasn't rusted through!!!

Yes I know but they aren't used in heavy trucks.

Old 05-29-2011, 11:06 AM
bucci
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Crazy001
I've never really understood why this is such a hotly debated topic.

And now we're doing the same thing. Dodge and Chevy have something we don't have, and so we try endlessly to convince ourselves that what we have is better. I believe this to be basic human nature, as we all like to think that our choice is better in every way, but this is rarely the case.

...but nobody can be best at everything!
Very true! We have proof of this right here in the never ending thread V10 vs PSD.

Old 05-29-2011, 11:16 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
And for the purposes of this discussion it's a good thing we aren't on a heavy truck forum! Heck, we're not even discussing heavy trucks!

Comparing a 10,000 lb GVWR pickup truck to a 52,000 LB GVWR road tractor makes about sense as it would comparing my Mustang to your Excursion.

Fully boxed frames have been around for years in light trucks. I'm still waiting on someone to prove me wrong about their unsuitability for a truck.

Old 05-29-2011, 11:24 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,219 Likes on 802 Posts
Do heavy trucks attract more rust?

Old 05-29-2011, 11:47 AM
mlminor
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boxed versus open C frames...

My 32 year old IH Scout has a boxed frame with no rot and it's still running strong with (original 345 4 speed) who knows how many miles - of course it was a California Scout, they're not quite known to be rust impervious vehicles.

I think there are advantages to each design.

The boxed frame is a stronger basic design and if properly designed (with water drain holes and rustproofing spray) it should be a more rigid platform that should perform better on a normal road surface. The stable platform allows the suspension to work consistently on a firm surface.

I think the advantage of the open C is moderate flex which allows the high torque semi's to flex the chassis (to prevent weld cracks in a boxed frame), and to allow off road excursions the ability to flex a bit over rough terrain (to keep the tires in contact with the ground) to give better traction. I knew of a few ranchers out West who loved the old diesel Isuzu PU's, they covered long distances on little fuel and were rarely stuck - they commented on how the chassis flexed to keep contact with the ground over irregular terrain.

Old 05-29-2011, 12:52 PM
LSchicago2
Fleet Mechanic
Boxed frame isn't needed and can only cause problems. It holds dirt, moister, salt, etc. it will rot out like the toyota trucks do guarantied. Also like mentioned it takes away a place to mount brake lines and wire harness's exposing them even more to debris and possible road shrapnel.

A boxed in frame can be smaller and have the same strength as a bigger C-channel but the downfalls aren't worth it.
Very true! That's how I feel.

Old 10-07-2011, 09:01 AM
Fullsized-Fan
Mountain Pass
Hi,

does anyone know something about the next HD Model? Would be interesting to know wheather or not ford is going boxed in the HD segment in the next years.

Since Dodge and Chevy HD are both boxed now and the F-150 as well, i guess it's just a matter of time.

And it would be interesting, how mich thinner the material will be i it gets boxed.

Greetings

Old 10-07-2011, 11:39 AM
BIGTRUCKBIGRV
Posting Guru
I like the comparison FourWheeler Magazine did the best showcasing some of the downsides of a fully boxed frame on such a heavy pickup.

2011 Pickup Truck Of The Year - Four Wheeler Magazine

So if the Raptor was an undisputed joy to drive in the dirt, the Chevy Silverado HD was our penalty box. With a punishing ride and stunning lack of flex, the Silverado spent much of its time watching the other trucks at play.

When it was on the trail, the street-tuned suspension and limited travel was unrelenting in the way it jiggled our guts and made our backs long for the next available chiropractic appointment. At any speeds over a crawl, testers could be heard wondering aloud where all those IFS benefits we've heard all about were.

One concern was the poorly protected undercarriage, with nothing more than a sheet of Rubbermaid protecting some vital components. And although we never hit it, the 5.8-gallon urea tank is hung without protection in a vulnerable location that had us cringing every time we encountered rocks. Steel skidplates should be the bare minimum to any truck that has any pretenses about leaving the pavement.

Thankfully, it wasn't all bad for the Silverado in the dirt. It did master the hill climb, where it easily walked up the rock-strewn slope, thanks to a mix of wheelbase, traction control, and the Eaton G80 rear locker. A very well-engineered exhaust brake somewhat made up for the lack of HDC.

This brings us to the surprise of the test, the Super Duty, which seemed to surpass everyone's expectations. Not only was the solid-axle truck compliant in the dirt, but it did well just about everywhere, except for deep sand and undulating rollers.

The selectable rear locker similar to that of the Raptor and newfound suspension tuning helped push the Super Duty as close as it has ever been to Power Wagon territory. The F-250 walked up the hill climb with comparable ease as the Chevy, but was then able to use HDC on the way down for a drama free descent.

Read more: 2011 Pickup Truck Of The Year - Four Wheeler Magazine

Old 10-07-2011, 06:01 PM
RZAR
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here is some serious frame flex!
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/pUVEH7AoEnw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Old 10-07-2011, 06:46 PM
SDTriton250
Senior User
Never seen drag racing lumber trucks before but that was just cool!

I owned Dodge HD pickups when they went from a C channel chassis to their hydroformed box chassis. It's rigid no doubt. But it vibrates like a tuning fork. The ride went jittery and any driveline vibrations can't be ignored. My F250 rides ever bit as stiff as my HD Dodges rode but, the F250 feels much better with it's less rigid chassis. The Ford and previous C channel Dodges were easier to install my 5th wheel hitch than the box frame of the later Dodges.

The following users liked this post:

Quick Reply: Fully-Boxed Frame on SuperDuty: Your Opinions