Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Electrical Guides
Print Wikipost

Spark Plug thread repair. With Photos

Old 11-27-2017, 06:43 AM
tmehrkam
Senior User
tmehrkam is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
No I have nothing to add except to check torque of the plugs about 10,000 miles after a plug change.

My truck is still going strong after 17 years and 250k+ miles. The only other part changed on the engine had been a PVC elbow this summer. No hoses, water pump, egr valve, hoses NOTHING.

I still have my timesert kit just in case another plug goes but after this much time I do not expect to have problems.

Take your time, install a timesert insert and keep on trucking. Good luck.

Old 11-28-2017, 02:41 PM
Deagle12
Senior User
Deagle12 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Would you happen to have a part number for the pcv elbow hose?

Old 11-28-2017, 03:31 PM
tmehrkam
Senior User
No the counter man at OReilly or Autozone went behind the counter and matched it.

I was in a hurry and did not want to pay $50 to get it from the ford dealer. Looks like it might last longer than the original. Time will tell. The old one only lasted 17 years.

Old 11-28-2017, 05:08 PM
Wolfboro
Elder User
Wolfboro is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by tmehrkam View Post
No I have nothing to add except to check torque of the plugs about 10,000 miles after a plug change.

My truck is still going strong after 17 years and 250k+ miles. The only other part changed on the engine had been a PVC elbow this summer. No hoses, water pump, egr valve, hoses NOTHING.

I still have my timesert kit just in case another plug goes but after this much time I do not expect to have problems.

Take your time, install a timesert insert and keep on trucking. Good luck.

Thanks for reporting back . Your step-by-step procedure on how to "Timesert" has been in V-10 TECH FOLDER.
All the best,

Old 12-03-2017, 10:00 PM
Dgilling
New User
Dgilling is starting off with a positive reputation.
I thought this was a great thread. Blew #4 on 97 V10 E350 @ 148k. I had replaced the plugs and most of the COPs for (apparently) the first time about 3500 miles ago. Good chance this was an inadequately torqued plug. I considered trying the Timesert repair, but after the trauma of replacing the plugs and COPs recently (my van has to be a WAY worse exercise than a truck), I wasn't anxious to try it. Turns out one of the Blownoutsparkplug guys is only about 18 miles away, so I had the van towed to his place, and he repaired it today - a Sunday. He installed the insert, a new COP, all new plugs, and torqued all the plugs to 32 ftlbs, for $600. I was pleased. Really appreciate the guidance from tmehrkam!

Old 12-04-2017, 04:37 AM
JWA
Post Fiend
JWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Dgilling View Post
I thought this was a great thread. Blew #4 on 97 V10 E350 @ 148k. I had replaced the plugs and most of the COPs for (apparently) the first time about 3500 miles ago. Good chance this was an inadequately torqued plug. I considered trying the Timesert repair, but after the trauma of replacing the plugs and COPs recently (my van has to be a WAY worse exercise than a truck), I wasn't anxious to try it. Turns out one of the Blownoutsparkplug guys is only about 18 miles away, so I had the van towed to his place, and he repaired it today - a Sunday. He installed the insert, a new COP, all new plugs, and torqued all the plugs to 32 ftlbs, for $600. I was pleased. Really appreciate the guidance from tmehrkam!
Just curious what torque you'd used during your plug replacement Dgilling? Interesting that the Blownsparkplug guy went to 32 ft/lbs---I use nickel-based anti-seize and 22-23 ft/lbs myself--over 3 different E250's in 8 years I've so far not had any issues. Of course I do change plugs at 50K miles.

And yes the E-Series are some kind of stupid to change. Removing at least one of the front seats makes this so much easier.

TIA

Old 12-04-2017, 08:51 AM
projectSHO89
Post Fiend
projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.
Interesting that the Blownsparkplug guy went to 32 ft/lbs
Particularly interesting since his website says 28.

Old 12-04-2017, 02:53 PM
JWA
Post Fiend
JWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by projectSHO89 View Post
Particularly interesting since his website says 28.

Good gravy I swear there ain't two people who agree what torque should be used.

Every time this comes up for discussion I'm reminded of this thread: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ead-heads.html

Old 10-16-2018, 09:52 AM
tmehrkam
Senior User
Well update. I am still driving the 2001 F250 4x4. No engine work except for a vacuum elbow and recently I had to locktite two bolts on the shifter. Thread in the SuperDuty forum. I retired from engineering and I am developing 50 acres of my grandfathers farm. Moved a house on the place, well, septic etc. This truck will end up being a farm truck at that time. Simi Retired. I will be traveling in a Diesel Motor home and returning to the farm in the winter.

About time for the 300,000 mile plug change. I will let you all know if there are any issues with the spark plug holes and timesert repair.

Old 10-16-2018, 04:32 PM
pfrye2007
New User
pfrye2007 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thank you so much for this write up! This is very informative to a novice like me! I haven't blown a plug yet but I dread the day. I have 115k on my 99 and the last time I changed the plugs (earlier this year) I noticed one plug was only finger tight. Had I not done that preventative maintenance I am sure I would be here already. I will try keep an eye on them and keep my fingers crossed. About the only thing I can do at this point! cheers!

Old 10-17-2018, 04:23 AM
JWA
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by pfrye2007 View Post
I have 115k on my 99 and the last time I changed the plugs (earlier this year) I noticed one plug was only finger tight. Had I not done that preventative maintenance I am sure I would be here already. I will try keep an eye on them and keep my fingers crossed.
If that one plug could be properly re-torqued to spec it shouldn't be a problem. With the lower settings of 7-14 ft/lbs its not uncommon for plugs to loosen up over time. Of course I'm hoping for your sake there's no potential blown plug in your future!

Originally Posted by tmehrkam View Post
About time for the 300,000 mile plug change. I will let you all know if there are any issues with the spark plug holes and timesert repair.
I'm sure many of us will be very interested in how this turns out. I'll have to dig your original post up in the other forum to review and remind myself what you did.