Browse all: Electrical Guides
Print Wikipost

Spark Plug thread repair. With Photos

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 08:59 AM
raceit17
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blew another plug on my way camping on the 4th of July this weekend. However, I had everything handy to make a quick repair and continue camping. I found humor in my mishap as a bicycle rider was right next to the truck when the plug blew. He probably thought I was throwing firecrakers at him.

Old 07-08-2013, 09:34 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
Originally Posted by raceit17
Blew another plug on my way camping on the 4th of July this weekend. However, I had everything handy to make a quick repair and continue camping. I found it humor in my mishap as a bicycle rider was right next to the truck when the plug blew. He probably thought I was throwing firecrakers at him.
Reminds me of the Bobby Bare tune about "those good ole joggers........"!

Old 07-08-2013, 10:04 AM
tmehrkam
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I believe most of these blow outs are caused by the plug backing out and then wearing out the threads.

I have taken to torquing mine every 30 thousand miles or so. So far no more blow outs.

Sorry you blew another but glad you were prepared. I wouldn't have been. I did not take my timesert kit this weekends trip to the east Texas lakes.

Old 07-08-2013, 11:49 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by captchas
art and few others in here most likily remember i worked vw for 45 years before retireing, 2 companies making plug thread repair kits that work are these. and work i do mean,i do ford motors left and right at home and use both kits. useing this one for alloy heads as the kit keeps the proper heat transfer back to the head.
Spark Plug Thread Repair Inserts
the time sert ++ TIME-SERT Threaded inserts for stripped threads, threaded inserts, thread repair stripped sparkplug's, Ford sparkplug blowouts, threaded inserts threaded, repair stripped threads, stripped threads, inserts threaded inserts, Ford spark plug repair, has been around for at least 40 years and also works great, never use a helicoil for a spark plug,only use a solid insert .
Fascinating-----thanks for your input and experience---very valuable indeed! The fact Ford itself authorizes the Lock N Stitch process should speak volumes about this subject.

Old 08-07-2013, 05:15 PM
CookseyPH
New User
2000 Excursion V10 blown plug

When the #3 plug blew out on my 2000 Excursion V10, the local dealership repaired the plug opening with helicoil. That was two years ago. Recently, when I replaced all the spark plugs, the #3 plug would begin to loosen as I turned it counter-clockwise. Then it would tighten up while I continued to turn the plug counter-clockwise. I returned to the dealer and was told they could not help unless I wanted to have them replace the head. Otherwise I have to live with the plug as it is. I was able to tighten it up.

Any thoughts on removing this plug? Or should I live with it until it fails to work?

Old 08-07-2013, 09:17 PM
Wolfboro
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think you need to spend some time @timesert.com and learn about how to repair Triton spark plug threads without removing the head . Here is the link;

++ BIG-SERT Oversized Spark plug thread repair kits ++ spark plug thread repair for oversized holes previously repaired spark plug holes threads stripped

Everything you need to know is here .

Good luck,

Old 08-08-2013, 08:59 PM
captchas
Originally Posted by JWA
Fascinating-----thanks for your input and experience---very valuable indeed! The fact Ford itself authorizes the Lock N Stitch process should speak volumes about this subject.
vw air cooled were blowing plugs out back in the late 1950's by around 1965 we started using the worth sold timesert kits and never had more problems
blowing plugs from alloy heads is age old problem with new tech from time sert and locknstich which I prefer that makes repairs a dream.

Old 10-16-2014, 07:26 PM
tmehrkam
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well it is 2014 and my V10 is still going strong. The Timesert is still holding and I did my second spark plug replacement some time ago. Time Timesert was still perfect and did not show any sign of getting loose.

I have 220,000 miles on the clock and the only repairs have been a fuel pump and I replaced the AC clutch because it was worn out. Still working but worn completely out.

Burn or leak about 1 quart of oil every 3000 miles. Yes the front seal leaks a little. That started about a year ago. It is not bad enough for me to mess with fixing it.

I wounder what 300,000 miles will look at. I have at least one more trip over the Rockies planned before that. The truck has made the trip about 10 times so far.

Next truck. Echo Boost? Likely not a Diesel since the EPA ruined Diesel. Or retire in my Motor Home and switch to a Jeep TOAD?

Old 04-30-2016, 08:21 PM
GetaHandleOnit
New User
Hello FTE Guys!

I need to change my #1, 4, 9 Coils (Based on The code reader) and being a newbie for the 2003 F-350 Triton V-10, I have no clue which cylinder is which.

Can anyone send me a link to a diagram or a picture. Thank you!
Pointing me in any direction is better than staring at the wall, THANKS!

ROB
GetaHandleOnit

Old 04-30-2016, 10:04 PM
Earlthegoat2
Junior User
Originally Posted by GetaHandleOnit
Hello FTE Guys!

I need to change my #1, 4, 9 Coils (Based on The code reader) and being a newbie for the 2003 F-350 Triton V-10, I have no clue which cylinder is which.

Can anyone send me a link to a diagram or a picture. Thank you!
Pointing me in any direction is better than staring at the wall, THANKS!

ROB
GetaHandleOnit
Passenger side is 1-5 with one being closest to the radiator. Driver side is 6-10 with 6 being closest to the radiator.

Might want to think about a full on plug job while your at it. Search around for some tutorials on it. The modulars have what I would call a complicated process for spark plug changing. Not hard. Just time consuming and picky about order of operations.

Check out a few tutorials.

Old 05-01-2016, 08:23 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by GetaHandleOnit
Hello FTE Guys!

ROB
GetaHandleOnit
Originally Posted by Earlthegoat2
Passenger side is 1-5 with one being closest to the radiator. Driver side is 6-10 with 6 being closest to the radiator.

Might want to think about a full on plug job while your at it. Search around for some tutorials on it. The modulars have what I would call a complicated process for spark plug changing. Not hard. Just time consuming and picky about order of operations.

Check out a few tutorials.

Without offense youse toose are jumping onto a thread that completely is NOT about your issues. Spark plug (threaded hole) repair and COP and/or spark plug replacement are vastly different issues.

Typically you'll find the fastest and best advice by posting a separate thread.

BTW changing plugs on Modular Motors is not that complicated but does require careful attention to a few details. Those are readily available here too.

Old 05-01-2016, 03:45 PM
Earlthegoat2
Junior User
Sorry. I did notice it was a hijack but figured that was the only way the fella was gonna get an answer. I guess I'll PM next time......but probably just ignore it

Old 05-05-2016, 09:36 PM
GetaHandleOnit
New User
Thumbs up Step-By-Step Pictorials

THANK YOU GUYS
for the Step-by-step Pictorials with detailed instructions!
YOU ROCK!

After reading many threads to find a similar problem to mine, I actually stumbled upon other tutorials that were extremely helpful!

So Hats-off to those who take the time to "Lay-it-all-out" for us newbies.

And thank you to those Moderators who reply to us that don't know how to find the appropriate thread to post into, AND don't Hammer us about it!

THANKS
From the Newbie

ROB
GetaHandleOnit

Old 05-06-2016, 06:21 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
See one, do one, teach one is a great way to pass knowledge along---glad you were able to learn something useful here!

Old 11-26-2017, 07:25 PM
Dgilling
Freshman User
Wow! Just experienced my first blown plug - fortunately only a couple miles from home. (97 E350 6.8L @ 148,000 mi). Found your comprehensive post. Very impressive! Thanks! Any updates in the last 7 years?

Quick Reply: Spark Plug thread repair. With Photos