Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Electrical Guides
Print Wikipost

Spark Plug thread repair. With Photos

Old 07-11-2011, 09:27 PM
SuperDutyKing
Junior User
SuperDutyKing is starting off with a positive reputation.
Since my 06 only has 37K miles, I'm going to hold off a bit on the plugs! Great info to say the least!

Old 07-16-2011, 07:32 AM
JWA
Post Fiend
JWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputation
This thread should be a sticky or maybe included in the tech folder???

Old 12-02-2011, 06:58 PM
tmehrkam
Senior User
tmehrkam is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Well another year went by.

No new plug problems. I checked the torque this summer and all was ok.

Truck still going strong. I think it is time to do another plug change. The MPG is dropping a bit.

I will do it before summer. Merry Christmas you app.

Old 12-02-2011, 07:30 PM
dkf
Post Fiend
dkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to behold
Thanks for reporting back.

Merry Xmas to you as well.

Old 01-08-2012, 08:05 AM
jackmanmachine
New User
jackmanmachine is starting off with a positive reputation.
4.6 5.4 6.8 sparkplug blowout repair

FYI to all, the Helicoil option will work on the engines, I dont put a lot weight on the fitness of this light duty insert. When my #8 blew in dec/11 I already had new injectors and intake gaskets to install I decided to reinsert all 8 cylinders.
I didnt like the thinwall inserts and have looked for options. MAC tools SP389FC Ford Cylinder Repair Kit fits the bill nicely, a heavy , thick walled insert. When installed with JB weld as directed is a perm repair that requires no further work and will take plugs being replaced multiple times without issue.
List for the kit is over 300$ I found mine second hand at a pawn shop for 125$, I will be redoing all 8 cylinders later this summer with the more resilient bushings as well as some other work on the heads(remove and inspect the cam/guides and take corrective measures accordingly) for a dealer to shrug and say that after the Helicoil fails its unrepairable is B%$#^**!!!
Tell the shop foreman to order the above mentioned kit from Mac, or order it from the website/or truck you see and follow the directions yourself. If you can handle tools well and follow the instructions....1hr to repair cylinder, twice that if your less experienced and can handle tools and directions.....

Additionally, IF this happens while your on the road, dont forget to unplug your injector AND COIL to drive home....will keep you from having a fire on the engine!!!!

Old 01-08-2012, 10:29 AM
Ricohman
Posting Guru
Ricohman has a good reputation on FTE.Ricohman has a good reputation on FTE.
Nice write up. I can't see the pics for some reason.
Oh well.

Old 01-09-2012, 05:34 AM
JWA
Post Fiend
JWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Ricohman View Post
Nice write up. I can't see the pics for some reason.
Oh well.
The photos don't seem to be displayed within in the post but the links do open a new window where they're easily seen-----Ricohman do those links work for you?

Old 05-10-2012, 07:35 PM
tmehrkam
Senior User
Update on timesert repair

It has been a little less than two years and 26,000 miles.

I am going on a 5,000 mile RV trip and needed a plug change.

I changed the plugs and inspected the threads with a bore scope.

All is well and the timesert repair is doing well. I am not sure I could tell which cylinder was repaired if not for the new coil in that cylinder.

All is well. The plug looked like all the others and the truck is running great.

I will report back in 100,000 miles.

Old 12-02-2012, 01:55 PM
tmehrkam
Senior User
Back from my Summer vacation. Pulled my 30 ft trailer over the high passes in Colorado.

No problems. Still going strong.

Looking for a motor home. A V10 is high on the requirments.

Assuming my wife does not force me to something so big that a Diesal is the only option.

Old 12-08-2012, 04:53 AM
raceit17
New User
raceit17 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I had always worried this would happen to mine some day...then one day, pulling a trailer up a hill, the truck down shifted and pow...pop, pop, pop, pop. I couldn't figure out what the noise was but it didn't sound good. My first thought was that I blew my exhaust off. I was only a mile from the house, the truck was still running so I drove it home. When I lifted the hood, there it was, the spark plug and coil laying on top of the engine. My heart sunk to the bottom of my stomach, I could see the repair bills being over the value of the truck. Would it be a rebuilt engine or a new head, I had no idea these could be fixed. So I decided to get on the internet and look around a bit to see how bad this was going to punch me in the wallet. Another site talked about removing the head and having a dealership repair it so I started feeling a little better. I wasn't done looking yet...then I found this site and this thread. Suddenly it seemed as if the good Karma was finally starting to pay off. I looked at all the kits he had listed in the origianl post and had decided to buy the one for $400.
I needed to get repair done quickly, I was trying to get to the Indianapolis World of Wheels Car Show with my Rat Rods. In the meantime, my wife had mentioned what had happened to the truck to her father. My father-in-law was a mechanic at Navastar in Indy, he had told me that he had repair hundreds of Ford aluminum heads and proceeded to ease my frustration with detailed instructions on how to repair it, to top it off, he had a kit for me to use. The kit was similar to the ones listed but it had the tap and reamer built into one peice. The insert had teeth that when tapped with a punch, would lock the insert into the head holding it place permenatly. It took me about an hour to fix, I coundn't believe how quick and easy the repair was. I owe a lot to this tread and my father-in-law for making a great weekend for the me and my wife.
I did notice one key thing, before the repair my truck would occasionally make a noise at certain rpms that sound like a loose heat shroud vibrating, after the repair I have not heard that noise again. The Truck has been running strong since the repair was made in Feb of 2012. Thanks again for this thread, it helped me a lot.

~Mike B

Old 12-08-2012, 07:42 AM
tmehrkam
Senior User
I think my plug backed out.

I could hear what sounded like an exaust leak weeks before it blew.

I speck of crud on the seal and many hot and cold cycles and eventualy it backs out.

THere was one thread left in mine so I was able to reinstall the plug finger tight and drive 60 miles home.

I retorque mine every 30,000 miles now just in case.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:51 PM
bigzirb
Elder User
bigzirb has much to be proud ofbigzirb has much to be proud ofbigzirb has much to be proud ofbigzirb has much to be proud ofbigzirb has much to be proud ofbigzirb has much to be proud ofbigzirb has much to be proud ofbigzirb has much to be proud ofbigzirb has much to be proud ofbigzirb has much to be proud of
Glad the search feature brought this thread up. I was driving my Excursion and blew out my #9 plug on Christmas Eve. Only 141k on the V10 but I have no idea how she was treated before I got her so I expect problems to pop up from time to time. I finally got the Time Sert repair set from Amazon yesterday so I hope to have it repaired this weekend.
Thanks for the detailed write up!!

Old 01-06-2013, 06:49 AM
captchas
captchas has a great reputation on FTE.captchas has a great reputation on FTE.captchas has a great reputation on FTE.captchas has a great reputation on FTE.
art and few others in here most likily remember i worked vw for 45 years before retireing, 2 companies making plug thread repair kits that work are these. and work i do mean,i do ford motors left and right at home and use both kits. useing this one for alloy heads as the kit keeps the proper heat transfer back to the head.
Spark Plug Thread Repair Inserts
the time sert ++ TIME-SERT Threaded inserts for stripped threads, threaded inserts, thread repair stripped sparkplug's, Ford sparkplug blowouts, threaded inserts threaded, repair stripped threads, stripped threads, inserts threaded inserts, Ford spark plug repair, has been around for at least 40 years and also works great, never use a helicoil for a spark plug,only use a solid insert .

Old 01-06-2013, 11:08 PM
bakon
Elder User
bakon is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.bakon is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I have had the MAC insert in mine for over a year now with no problem.

Old 01-07-2013, 05:32 AM
JWA
Post Fiend
This is a great thread to subscribe to---the updates by tmehrkam well worth the reading.

Even though I drive an E250 with the 5.4 V8 this is interesting.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Spark Plug thread repair. With Photos

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.