6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Wont sell spartan tuner.......

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 05:16 PM
patwhite_01
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wont sell spartan tuner.......

I live in red deer alberta, and I talked to a guy at a custom shop (Canada custom vehicles) about getting a tuner. I was interested in getting info on the spartan tuner, he said that they dont sell them because they are too aggressive. I wasn't really sure what he meant but he quickly tried to sell me on an edge package. ($1880 installed) He said they have done 150 of the edge packages on the 6.4's. I am thinking that they get a really good deal on the edge tuners because they sell so many of them and they can buy them in bulk and thats why he wanted to sell me on it. Anyone have any thoughts on this?? Not sure if I should just go with the edge evolution or if I should just order the spartan.... I am mostly after better mileage because I drive a lot (60000 km/year)

I am curious if there is any truth to what the salesman said about the spartan tuner.

Old 09-11-2010, 06:37 PM
nomorecummins
Senior User
I don't even have a Spartan Tuner, and I can tell you to go with Spartan. Lots of guys are getting well over 20 mpg with the 275 tune. Its extremely reliable, and safe as long as you use it correctly.

Too aggressive? That is the whole point of getting a tuner right. You want the truck to be more aggressive.

Old 09-11-2010, 09:00 PM
Biggziff
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by nomorecummins
Too aggressive? That is the whole point of getting a tuner right. You want the truck to be more aggressive.
Many of us tune trucks to make them more efficient, shift better and haul loads better. More aggressive is for those that probably ought to have bought a sports car.

Old 09-11-2010, 10:50 PM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
Received 2,566 Likes on 731 Posts
I had an Edge Evolution in my 2006 6.0L. I never once turned it up to the higher horsepower. I used it to change tire sizes, I used it to read Engine Codes, I used it to reset engine codes, and I used it mainly for the EGT temps. Which I could still max out in stock programing when towing my Gooseneck Horse trailer.

The point being that maybe you will use it to soup up your truck, Maybe it's just a display to help you manage a stock truck. I found Edge to be super helpful when I called. More than once I called them and had them look up a trouble code that the Edge product had pulled from the truck.

You personally will need to look at what your reasons are for buying the product and see who services those needs best.

Old 09-12-2010, 01:05 AM
headerman
New User
tuner

patwhiteo1 you might want to give NADP in Edmonton a call at 780-456-4498, they gave me a pretty decent quote for and Edge tuner and DPF delete/ exhaust replacement, less than the quote given you by the local people, just a thought not promoting any product or dealer

Old 09-13-2010, 12:05 PM
patwhite_01
Freshman User
thanks headerman ill give them a call. I am still leaning towards the spartan tuner. From what I have read it is less detectable by dealerships. I just need to find out why CCV here in red deer wouldn't install that tuner. I have a feeling it is just because they make a lot more money doing the edge. By the sounds of it they do so many of those so I would think that they are buying them in bulk and that would make their profits much higher.

Old 09-13-2010, 02:45 PM
LaxPlaya21
Posting Guru
I think the truth here is that the shop is a vendor of the Edge programmers and makes a lot more money on them, than if he were to sell Spartan tuning. Edge has plenty of extremely aggessive tunes, so he is blatently lying to you to try to convince you to run Edge. With Edge you are going to get generic canned tunes. With Spartan you get custom made tunes, that are routinely upgraded. Not to mention the Dashdaq is way more inforative than the Edge module. I think with the Edge you can view at most 6 or 8 parameters at one time... with the Dashdaq you can view like 30-40 haha. Not to mention you can pretty much monitor anything the OBDII shoots out.
Good luck with your decision. Do some more research before you make up your mind.

Old 09-13-2010, 03:21 PM
oucontractor
New User
Originally Posted by patwhite_01
thanks headerman ill give them a call. I am still leaning towards the spartan tuner. From what I have read it is less detectable by dealerships. I just need to find out why CCV here in red deer wouldn't install that tuner. I have a feeling it is just because they make a lot more money doing the edge. By the sounds of it they do so many of those so I would think that they are buying them in bulk and that would make their profits much higher.
I might recommend ordering the Spartan and doing the tune yourself. They say the DPF/ Cat delete is easy to install but I paid the local muffler shop for that portion, I installed the air intake and the tunes were not difficult to load.

I paid $100 for the 4" turbo back exhaust system install. He told me it would have been $50 for the DFP delete only install.

Old 09-16-2010, 01:38 AM
Brandon D
Lead Foot User
Do the smart thing and go with the Spartan. I have dealt with CCV and they are decent to deal with on other products but don't listen to their BS when it comes to tuners. Do it right the first time and you won't look back. PM me if you want info on where to get one and if you have any other troubles.