Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

steering gear box change now im fubar

Old 09-10-2010, 07:36 PM
billcollector
Freshman User
billcollector is starting off with a positive reputation.
steering gear box change now im fubar

I changed out my steering gear box yesterday in hopes it would cure my hard turning, and steering wheel slop, but all I have now is a wheel that is 45 degrees off center when trying to drive straight, and a firm pull to the left.

I put the pitman arm on exactly how it came off, and same with the wheel shaft.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Also what type of atf should I be using for the power steering?

Old 09-10-2010, 07:56 PM
SpringerPop
Too old to be too smart
SpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputation
There's an adjustment in the steering linkage to adjust for "straight ahead".

However, I'm a bit loathe to suggest doing anything with it to anyone who can't figure out what it is just by looking at it.

HINT: Those bolts get torqued to 41 ft/lbs after you make that adjustment.

If you don't have a torque wrench, just make like you didn't see this post.

ATF is any Dexron/Mercon compatible stuff, but a lot of us like the Mobil-1 synthetic. Kinda' pricey, but worthwhile.

Pop

Old 09-10-2010, 08:30 PM
billcollector
Freshman User
Thanks for the info on the atf......

But all the rest of the post is pretty cryptic, condescending, and useless.

Can anyone help a Guy out?

Old 09-10-2010, 09:03 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
F350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by billcollector View Post
But all the rest of the post is pretty cryptic, condescending, and useless.
I think that's the old guy way of trying to politely say you're going to kill yourself or someone else, or if you're lucky, just have a wreck if you're not careful.

Just changing the gear box should not cause a hard pull to the left, and as mentioned cryptically, there are adjustments to keep the wheel straight (that when left loose will "un-adjust" the wheel).

Of course sometimes the best way to learn is to make mistakes so you better understand how to go about things (or that's just wishful thinking based on some recent experiences with my soon to be son in law). The good news is you're here asking for help since you realize something is wrong and you don't understand what.

Now back on topic, we'll need more info than what you have provided so far. Be sure to include as much info about how you did the swap as possible. Some pictures of the front end might also be useful if you can manage that.

Old 09-10-2010, 09:35 PM
dgalway
Freshman User
dgalway is starting off with a positive reputation.
Check your front u-joints! I almost replaced my steering box a few weeks back because of some hard steering and pull issues. Long story short, I put the front end up on jack stands and locked the hubs. Turned the wheel full turn in each direction and manually turned the tires...my left side was just fine, right side was bound up tight as a drum. Turns out the u-joint was rusted up solid! No slop in the joint which is more typical. Might be worth a check.
Also, sounds like your new steering box got played with prior to install and the shaft was turned in one direction a half turn or so. Can you turn you tires straight ahead, remove pitman arm,straighteb wheel and reinstall. Pretty sure it is clocked in 4 different ways that it will fit on the shaft??? Good luck!

Old 09-10-2010, 09:44 PM
Waynenap
Elder User
Waynenap has a good reputation on FTE.Waynenap has a good reputation on FTE.
I think you should take it to a good alignment shop tomorrow morning, which by the sound of your description, you should probably do anyway. My
Incidentally, no sarcasm intended, just yours and everyones' safety.

Old 09-10-2010, 11:22 PM
puller45
Seasoned User
puller45 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by SpringerPop View Post
There's an adjustment in the steering linkage to adjust for "straight ahead".

However, I'm a bit loathe to suggest doing anything with it to anyone who can't figure out what it is just by looking at it.

HINT: Those bolts get torqued to 41 ft/lbs after you make that adjustment.

If you don't have a torque wrench, just make like you didn't see this post.

ATF is any Dexron/Mercon compatible stuff, but a lot of us like the Mobil-1 synthetic. Kinda' pricey, but worthwhile.

Pop
Cryptic: possibly, Condescending: not really, Useless: ABSOLUTELY NOT
Old guy way of saying: Ya got lever A and ya got lever B, if ya don't know what lever A does, lever be.

Old 09-11-2010, 12:20 AM
Deluxe06
4000 rounds a min
Deluxe06 is a splendid one to beholdDeluxe06 is a splendid one to beholdDeluxe06 is a splendid one to beholdDeluxe06 is a splendid one to beholdDeluxe06 is a splendid one to beholdDeluxe06 is a splendid one to beholdDeluxe06 is a splendid one to behold
Quote: Cryptic: possibly, Condescending: not really, Useless: ABSOLUTELY NOT Old guy way of saying: Ya got lever A and ya got lever B, if ya don't know what lever A does, lever be.

Well said Don.

Old 09-11-2010, 09:00 AM
farmdad
Posting Guru
farmdad has a great reputation on FTE.farmdad has a great reputation on FTE.farmdad has a great reputation on FTE.farmdad has a great reputation on FTE.farmdad has a great reputation on FTE.
The adjustment linkage that Pop was talking about does center the wheel but if done incorrectly, can limit the degrees of turn to one side because the steering arm won't be centered in the travel of the steering box. Good advice, Pop.

Old 09-11-2010, 09:36 AM
billcollector
Freshman User
Thanks for the replies guys. It is at the shop right now. Let me make one thing clear though, it was in no way dangerous to drive. The firm pull to the left I referred to was not enough to make it unsafe. The Guy at the shop told me there is some kind of "return to center" function in the gear box which could be causing my pull. So hopefully after they adjust the drag link it will straighten everything out.

I used type 3 fluid, but afterwards read a write up where the Guy suggested type f .

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.