Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tracking an oil leak

Old 09-09-2010, 11:25 PM
150ford
Post Fiend
150ford is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.150ford is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
tracking an oil leak

I am having an oil leak on the back off my motor just behind the oil filter in the steel valley. Just curious if anybody else has had an oil leak that is common to these engines. I am going to try an tackle it here in the next few days. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks for any help.

Old 09-09-2010, 11:52 PM
150ford
Post Fiend
150ford is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.150ford is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
This a 2003 7.3 PSD truck. Any input would be appreciated.

Old 09-10-2010, 12:12 AM
binuya
Posting Guru
binuya has a great reputation on FTE.binuya has a great reputation on FTE.binuya has a great reputation on FTE.binuya has a great reputation on FTE.binuya has a great reputation on FTE.binuya has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by 150ford View Post
I am having an oil leak on the back off my motor just behind the oil filter in the steel valley.
Do you mean behind the fuel filter? If so, leaks in the valley area are very common. HPOP and turbo pedestal leaks usually. Clean it up, start engine, and get in there with a flashlight, inspection mirrors, and paper towels.

Old 09-10-2010, 12:15 AM
150ford
Post Fiend
Just curious if these are easy fixes? Have you had these issues with your truck? Just want to know what i am getting in to. Thanks for the input.

Old 09-10-2010, 12:35 AM
binuya
Posting Guru
binuya has a great reputation on FTE.binuya has a great reputation on FTE.binuya has a great reputation on FTE.binuya has a great reputation on FTE.binuya has a great reputation on FTE.binuya has a great reputation on FTE.
I had a plug on my HPOP blow an o-ring. It spewed quarts of oil within a few miles. I wound up getting the correct o-ring from a
Ford dealership parts counter. That particular one requires Loctite, which came with the o-ring. Other potential leaks are the HPOP lines or the turbo pedestal. They're all relatively easy to fix, and if you do some searches on this forum, you'll find they are quite common.

Old 09-10-2010, 05:24 AM
JonathanN
Posting Guru
JonathanN has a great reputation on FTE.JonathanN has a great reputation on FTE.JonathanN has a great reputation on FTE.JonathanN has a great reputation on FTE.JonathanN has a great reputation on FTE.
Yeah, it's simple... just be meticulous and clean about how you take it apart and put it together. I had my HPOP output line O-rings go and MAN did it make a mess... I had oil all over the bottom of my truck! But the guy above is right... sop up all the oil and then watch which end of the valley pan the oil starts filling from (there are horizontal lobes in the pan that look like ribs that will collect oil). If it starts filling from the front, it's HPOP-related. If it starts filling from the rear, it's turbo pedestal-related. I haven't done the turbo so if that's your problem, then you're gonna have to get some input from others on here.

Old 09-11-2010, 11:18 PM
mgrove1983
Junior User
mgrove1983 is starting off with a positive reputation.
When the hpop leaks it drips into the valley then down the back of the motor and makes it appear to be a rear main or something of that nature. There are many good threads telling how to fix these issues but i doo suggest that while your in there to replace all the o rings and the non servicable plug. you can ussually pickup everything you need in a kit.

Old 09-12-2010, 04:58 PM
150ford
Post Fiend
Thanks guys

Ok one more thing anybody on here sell the O rings to fix this.Or a kit for this. Im guessing its the HPOP pump the way the leak looks. Ill tear in to this in a couple off days.

Old 09-12-2010, 06:05 PM
binuya
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 150ford View Post
Ok one more thing anybody on here sell the O rings to fix this.Or a kit for this. Im guessing its the HPOP pump the way the leak looks. Ill tear in to this in a couple off days.
Here's the best place I've heard of around here:Replacement O-rings for Ford Diesel Engines

Old 09-13-2010, 09:32 AM
JonathanN
Posting Guru
JonathanN has a great reputation on FTE.JonathanN has a great reputation on FTE.JonathanN has a great reputation on FTE.JonathanN has a great reputation on FTE.JonathanN has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by binuya View Post
Here's the best place I've heard of around here:Replacement O-rings for Ford Diesel Engines
I was gonna post that, but you beat me to it... he's the guy top get 'em from!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.