1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

oil leak - dammit man! Louisiana/TX shops??

Old 09-15-2010, 02:50 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,888 Likes on 1,140 Posts
oil leak - dammit man! Louisiana/TX shops??

I've got about 10k miles on new engine and I had an annoying oil leak at the dipstick for awhile, but I finally just RTV'd the hell out of it and stopped it from leaking THERE.

Now I am 100% certain the front main seal or oil pump or whatever is behind the crank pulley has a very minor leak - its kinda sweaty with oil after 1000mi drive. This may be from when my Gatorback belt was shredded by water temp sender wire (popped out of holder and rubbed belt until it failed). I just found peices of belt 'strings' wrapped around front of crank - maybe when belt failed and these strings wrapped around crank they compromised seal??

The disturbing thing for me now is the drip from ZF6 bottom 'vents'. I had seen minor puddling there, but thought it was just being blown back and dripping down front of trans, but after a VERY thorough cleaning - it kinda looks like maybe its coming out of bellhousing?? I pulled inspection cover off and it was wet with oil on inside, but no indication of oil on backside of the flywheel...

I'd like to find a shop nearby to do the front seal and evaluate if there is STILL a leak. I'm working near Sulphur, LA but may go visit friends in Houston next week (wed-sat). Can someone recommend a reputable shop or extremely generous enthusiast who can help me????? I have enough tools on-board to do about anything - but I am absolutely MISERABLE in this damn HEAT and HUMIDITY!!! I'd be happy to pay someone to work on my junk! (there is a first time for everything - I guess...)

Thanks!

Old 09-15-2010, 04:27 PM
N V US Lawn Care
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no help, but subscribing...have you made sure this is not HPOP related???

Old 09-15-2010, 04:37 PM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
Rick (Millerfeed) is only a few miles from you on the backwaters of Lake Charles.

Been to Sulphur a couple of times delivering trailers for FEMA, after Rita hit. Gotta love the Bayou.

Old 09-15-2010, 07:42 PM
megawatt00
Hotshot
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Roland is in Damon TX a well he is close by as well.

Old 09-15-2010, 08:00 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
And if you don't find any volunteers, call David Lott in Houston and see if he can get you in. Diesel Innovations - Contact Us

Old 09-16-2010, 07:24 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Thanks y'all. I'd be happy to buy Rick and/or Roland dinner for an opinion!

Yeah, I'm sure the leak is down low - the top of the motor is squeaky clean. Since EVERYTHING was squeaky clean, its pretty easy to clean fresh oil off and see where it comes back... Right now, the front of the oil pan gets wet after 100mi - but the only other place I see oil is a drip from bottom of trans. I'm hoping some oil from dipstick and front seal leak got in bottom of bellhousing and is still working its way out.

I do love the bayou! Well, not the heat, humidity, skeeters and lovebugs (right now...) - but I do like the FOOD! Gumbo, jambalaya, all the cajun cookin'.

Old 09-16-2010, 08:01 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SkySkiJason

Yeah, I'm sure the leak is down low - the top of the motor is squeaky clean. Since EVERYTHING was squeaky clean, its pretty easy to clean fresh oil off and see where it comes back... Right now, the front of the oil pan gets wet after 100mi - but the only other place I see oil is a drip from bottom of trans. I'm hoping some oil from dipstick and front seal leak got in bottom of bellhousing and is still working its way out.

I do love the bayou! Well, not the heat, humidity, skeeters and lovebugs (right now...) - but I do like the FOOD! Gumbo, jambalaya, all the cajun cookin'.
PM sent Jason. Been wanting to get a GTG with Roland and others for a while now. You are less then 10 miles from me as the crow flies. lol.

Old 09-16-2010, 08:08 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Thanks Rick! Looking forward to meeting y'all!

Its not a mission-critical issue, just a nuisance at this point. I really, really appreciate your help narrowing down whats up!

Old 09-16-2010, 08:42 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Thanks Rick! Looking forward to meeting y'all!

Its not a mission-critical issue, just a nuisance at this point. I really, really appreciate your help narrowing down whats up!
Was the rear seal changed on the new engine? Hopefully it's not that and we only have to change an o-ring or two.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:04 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Originally Posted by miller_feed
Was the rear seal changed on the new engine? Hopefully it's not that and we only have to change an o-ring or two.
Theoretically... I bought this longblock with about 2500mi on it. Beans had alot to do with putting it together - the owner had over $12k invested and dyno'ed over 550HP with big oil, Stage 3's and a huge turbo. They didn't really cut any corners on the build - but, I wasn't there either............

When I get a minute later, I'm gonna go thru my pics and see what rear seal looked like. From the little reading I've done, it looks like rear seal can easily be installed wrong?? I cannot say it hasn't leaked since day 1.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:13 AM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Have you removed the oil filler cap and did the test for crankcase pressure (blow-by)? I know you have a fairly new engine, but was the CCV (dog house) element cleaned while the VC's were off. Just thinking you could have a CCV problem that is causing the seal leakage due to the increased pressure inside. Trying to get a little more info to help with the diagnosis.
I just talked with Rick and we can probably coordinate a GTG for next weekend, to do the repairs. Maybe you and he can get together, beforehand, and determine the cause of the leaks.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:20 AM
'00RedSD
Freshman User
subscribing, I am on the East side fo the state and the Humidity is bad, and you never get use to it.

Old 09-16-2010, 10:07 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Originally Posted by '00RedSD
supscribing, I am on the East side fo the state and the Humidity is bad, and you never get use to it.
You are welcome to come west, young man, lol, to help us if we need to change the rear and front seals.

Old 09-16-2010, 10:37 AM
'00RedSD
Freshman User
If you make it out towards me I have a big shed with all the tools. Sulphur is around a 4 hour trip from here.
If you make any runs to Fourchon or Venice let me know, I am not far off Hwy 90.

Old 09-16-2010, 11:10 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Originally Posted by '00RedSD
If you make it out towards me I have a big shed with all the tools. Sulphur is around a 4 hour trip from here.
If you make any runs to Fourchon or Venice let me know, I am not far off Hwy 90.
I retired from Halliburton in '06. I worked offshore for 25 years, so you know I know Fourchon and Venice very well. lol.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: oil leak - dammit man! Louisiana/TX shops??