1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Newbie that Need help with 2 Issues - Tranny ID and Engine Dies

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 11:24 AM
Big.Dave
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie that Need help with 2 Issues - Tranny ID and Engine Dies

Hey Guys I am newbie to this site and new to Ford Trucks... I inherited this old ford truck from my Father-in-law. He bought the truck used not sure about much of anything on this old truck... 1981, F-100 Custom, 4x2, 300 six, with 1 barrel carb, 4 spd with Reverse Left and UP and First Gear is up beside reverse. The VIN# 1FTCF10E8BNB03833, Trans Code B and Axel Code 07 is from the door jam. When I decoded the VIN it says that it is a 4x4 chassis with a 4.0 EFI-SOHC v6. My father-in-law bought the truck as is and has never made any mods, so I am not sure really how to explain this truck. Anyway I have 2 issues that I need help with. fficeffice" /><O></O>
<O></O>
1. I need help identifying the Transmission so I can possibly rebuild it (I like to tinker) or find a used one. The transmission pops out of gear, not sure as to what gears yet. Below is some info that I found on the transmission and tailpiece either casted or on plates. Any help would be appreciated.<O></O>
<O></O>
1B2-180, RF-D9BR-7006-AB, C-2604194, RF-EOTR-7F306-AB, C-260430?(?2?)FA1, RUG-DBCA1, EO-TRAB-0213<O></O>
<O></O>
2. Since the transmission pops out of gear the truck has set for about 4 years and has not been run for at least 2yr. I got the truck running sort of.... I can go get in it and crank it up and it will run for about a minute or so and then just dies. I can pump the pedal about 5 times and turn the key and it will hit a lick but not start, I can do that process about 5 or 6 times and it will crank and run for another minute or so and die again. If I let it sit for any kind of time say about an hour or so it will crank and run for a minute or so and then die. Things that I have replaced: Fuel Pump, Fuel Filter, Rotor Cap and button, Coil, Pickup Coil. The ignition module test fine at Auto Zone, but I had a buddy who had a working module and changed it and still did the same thing. I am not sure how much gas is in the truck but I put 5gal of fresh 87 octane in along with some STP complete fuel system cleaner (in grey bottle) and a bottle of NOS octane boost. When the truck dies I can look in the carb and move the throttle linkage and I can see gas squirt in the carb. Does anyone have any suggestions? <O></O>

Old 09-09-2010, 07:49 PM
Stangrcr1
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vin decode:
1FT - ford truck (complete)
C - 4k-5k GVWR
F10 - F100 4x2
E - 300 straight six 1bbl carb
8 - check digit
B - 1981
N - Norfolk Assembly plant
B03833 - Build serial number

Trans code B - Manual - 4spd
Axle code 07 - Ford 2800lb capacity axle with 2.47 gears.

The trans is called an SROD. Single Rail Overdrive Trans.
The tag on the trans with RUG is the ID tag.

RUG - Model
DB - Suffix
CA1 - Service Identification code
EO-TRAB - Assembly number
0213 - Serial number

There should be more info on that trans tag. The build date code is missing and the serial number is one digit short. After thinking about it, C could be the service Identification Code and A1 the build date but that would have meant it was built in the first week of January 1981. Could they build 213 transmissions in the week following New Years 1981?

As for how it runs, it sounds like a clogged filter. but since you already changed it, maybe the sock on the fuel suction tube in the tank. I don't know much about those 1bbl carbs, but it doesn't seem like there would be much to em?

Old 10-06-2010, 09:23 AM
Big.Dave
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stangrcr1,

I just notice the you are a retired Navy Vet. Just want to say a BIG THANK YOU for your service.

There was no sock on the suction tube. The tube was so cloged that a piece of pencil lead would not even fit in, I guess because of rust. I got it all cleaned out and the tank too, thanks to a bunch of rocks. I got it all put back together and put some fresh gas in the tank and it started running but then it die again this time it was the carb. It started leaking real bad so i rebuilt the carb and now the old truck is running ok. I drove it around some and put some more gas in it and realized that there is a small hole in the gas tank. If its not one thing its another. Now i am going to have to drop the tank again, so I can replace it.

Now that it is running i found out that it pops out of 1st durning take off or under load, unless you hold the shifter. It is tricky going into 2nd if it will even go, double clutching works some times. 3rd is nice and 4th gear is way out there. 4th seems to be a gear that will only get used when you can get over 55 mph.

I didnt realize that that rebuild kits didnt come with new gears, just bearings and seals. So i guess i need to look for a used tranny.