Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Strange tire wear, any thoughts? (Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 10:03 PM
Visseroth
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Strange tire wear, any thoughts? (Pics)

So I got new tires today but my driver's side front tire is wearing decently fast on the inside.
Here are some pics, what are your thoughts?
Driver's Side...

Driver's Side...

Passenger's Side...

Edit: Fixed Pictures

Old 09-07-2010, 10:07 PM
Deluxe06
4000 rounds a min
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pictures didn't make it in your post.

Old 09-07-2010, 10:08 PM
7.3 Rocket
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No pictures but if it's wearing on the inside on both sides it may be time for balljoints and an alignment.

Jack up the tire that's wearing funny and grab it at the 12 and 6 positions if it was a clock and try to wiggle it back and forth. If it moves much you're in need of ball joints.

Old 09-07-2010, 10:19 PM
Visseroth
Posting Guru
Well I just went out, jacked it up, grabbed it at the 12 and 6 position and it will not wiggle, funny thing is though that if it is an alignment issue it still drives straight as an arrow, I can let go of the wheel on a flat surface and it'll drive straight.

Old 09-07-2010, 10:57 PM
Stangrcr1
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Two causes of inner tire wear:

1. camber issues. This is usually due to worn balljoints.
2. Toe out. This means your fron tires are not pointed forward, they are pointed out like a cone.

And thats about it.

Take it in and have an alignment done to see where the slop is. Just because it drives straight does not make it right. Your tire wear proves that.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:24 PM
Visseroth
Posting Guru
Yea, have an appointment tomorrow to have it at least looked at to see where the problem is. I'll let you guys know what is found.

Old 09-08-2010, 06:20 AM
hammer65
Posting Guru
I am going to jump on, since I am having the same problem. I would like to know what you find out. Jim

Old 09-08-2010, 07:13 AM
X JBM X
Junior User
I'm not ragging on anyone in here, but I'm confused why we continuously have posts regarding inner tire wear...

The answer is ALWAYS ball joints, wheel bearings, ALIGNMENT. That's the key here.

All of those should be checked out at an alignment shop when they do an alignment (which should most definitely be done at the time of buying new tires, in order to prevent wear issues like this, and also to align the truck properly for the tires you're running)

Old 09-08-2010, 07:22 AM
riverrat41
Postmaster

Originally Posted by X JBM X
I'm not ragging on anyone in here, but I'm confused why we continuously have posts regarding inner tire wear...

The answer is ALWAYS ball joints, wheel bearings, ALIGNMENT. That's the key here.

All of those should be checked out at an alignment shop when they do an alignment (which should most definitely be done at the time of buying new tires, in order to prevent wear issues like this, and also to align the truck properly for the tires you're running)
Same reason we have questions on UVCH,In Tank Mods,ESOF,Fuel Mileage,4R100,NO START,ECT,ECT....These questions come up all the time.This is a helping forum NO MATTER how many times the same question is asked....Yes,there is a search option but when folks are broke down or having trouble they find it easier to just ask....That is one of the reason's I love the folks here because.....''There are NO dumb questions''

Old 09-08-2010, 09:12 AM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
FWIW my SD always did the same thing... alignment was fine and ball joints were fine. ROTATE THEM, every 3k or just live with the wear.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:33 AM
ghig1967
Elder User
Originally Posted by riverrat41
Same reason we have questions on UVCH,In Tank Mods,ESOF,Fuel Mileage,4R100,NO START,ECT,ECT....These questions come up all the time.This is a helping forum NO MATTER how many times the same question is asked....Yes,there is a search option but when folks are broke down or having trouble they find it easier to just ask....That is one of the reason's I love the folks here because.....''There are NO dumb questions''
Well put !! I agree 100%.. I have sometimes spent hours doing searches & still haven't found the answer to my questions.. But post a new thread & usually get answers pretty quick. I'm no mechanic, but if I can find some good advice & a write up (pics are a bonus !!) I can usually tackle most jobs. I've noticed quite a bit lately ( in the last day) people throwing smart *** comments out there in the forums & its sad.. Lets face it, we all aren't experts in everything & its awesome to have the GREAT people at FTE there when you need help solving an issue !!

Ok, sorry for the Hi-jack Back to your regularly scheduled program !!

Old 09-08-2010, 12:42 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by ghig1967
I've noticed quite a bit lately ( in the last day) people throwing smart *** comments out there in the forums & its sad.
You mean like this?

Or this?

Oh wait, mine are humorous, so it doesn't apply!

Vis, sorry for the temporary thread hijack, my funny bone is acting up this morning!

Stewart

Old 09-08-2010, 12:49 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Stewart never fails to have a photo for every occasion

Old 09-08-2010, 01:15 PM
lhud
Elder User
You might be surprised at what worn shocks will do to tires.
New shocks appeared to solve my tire wear issues a couple of years back.

Good luck,

Old 09-08-2010, 03:46 PM
megawatt00
Hotshot
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by riverrat41
I agree with you 100% Barry

Originally Posted by ghig1967
Well put !! I agree 100%.. I have sometimes spent hours doing searches & still haven't found the answer to my questions.. But post a new thread & usually get answers pretty quick. I'm no mechanic, but if I can find some good advice & a write up (pics are a bonus !!) I can usually tackle most jobs. I've noticed quite a bit lately ( in the last day) people throwing smart *** comments out there in the forums & its sad.. Lets face it, we all aren't experts in everything & its awesome to have the GREAT people at FTE there when you need help solving an issue !!

Ok, sorry for the Hi-jack Back to your regularly scheduled program !!
I try to read every post on every thread but I do miss some especially now that I am back to work. If you feel that something is not proper for the forum either report the post or PM me a link to it and I will take a look-care of it. I will not tolerate any of that type of behavior here.

Quick Reply: Strange tire wear, any thoughts? (Pics)