Notices
1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines

Setting truck up for Slide in Camper

Old 09-07-2010, 03:24 PM
jonsk
Senior User
jonsk is starting off with a positive reputation.
Setting truck up for Slide in Camper

My plan is to get a slide in camper either over the winter or in the spring so im starting to reserch what i will need to set up the truck. I found the the torklift frame mounted tie downs. They look pretty well made and also you can break them down when not in use. What are the eyelets that i see sticking out between the bed and cab on some trucks?? is this an older way/place of attaching the turnbuckles? the other thing im going to need is the turnbuckles. I have looked at the quikloads and the seem to work pretty well but they are damn expensive, are there any other brands that anyone would recommend??
........Oh, the truck is a 2006 f250 6.0. It has the plow package and the camper package installed from the factory so it has the heavier springs all around.
thanks all

Old 09-07-2010, 03:39 PM
gkas
Freshman User
gkas is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'm also looking at a TC when my F250 gets here. The other 'ears' you see is the HappiJac tie-down system. The rear tie-down mounts to a hole drilled in the rear bumper. I've come to the conclusion that Torklift is what is going on my truck. It's all frame mounted, with no holes required for Ford setup.. I especially don't like the Happijac mounting to the rear bumper.

Old 09-07-2010, 04:23 PM
kdv
Junior User
kdv is starting off with a positive reputation.
We had Torklifts on our other truck for the slide in camper. They worked great. Never a problem.

We had chains and turnbuckles first. I started using boat tie downs. Pull tight and snap them over. I never had a problem with them over the few years we had it.

The camper was a 1999 9.5' Shadow Cruiser hard side in a 2500 Silverado box.

Old 09-09-2010, 12:22 PM
jonsk
Senior User
***bump*** anyone?

Old 09-09-2010, 12:48 PM
dchamberlain
Post Fiend
dchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputation
I had a 9.5' Lance slide in that weighed in at about 3000 pounds. I had the Happi-jack tie downs. They did the job, but I would have been happier with the TorkLift ones. The Happi-Jack tie downs rely entirely on the bed in the front, and the bumper in the rear. I never did feel comfortable with that. The TorkLift tie downs are attached to the frame at the front and the rear.

I believe if you use the TorkLift ones, you need the spring loaded turnbuckles. Because there is little to no "give" like there is with the Happi-Jack system, you need the spring loaded turnbuckles to allow the camper to move a little and not pull out the eye bolts.

I would be wary of anything other than a turnbucke or something designed specifically for a slide in camper. A camper can weight a lot more than a boat and they are very top heavy. A rocking camper can put a lot of load on the tie downs.

Also, a in bed 7-way plug can be an advantage. My camper had about a 3' pigtail connector at the front left of the camper. I put a plug there in the inside of my bed, just ahead of the fuel filler spout. It allowed a easy and convenient connection for the camper lights.

Old 09-09-2010, 01:05 PM
99powerstrokedF250
Senior User
99powerstrokedF250 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I believe the Torklifts are what my dad uses on his truck. Awesome system, and pretty much completely out of the way when the camper is off the truck.

He did have to make some slight modifications to the rear mounts, however, as he didn't feel they provided enough rigidity (they mount in the ends of the receiver hitch). He did NOT add a plugin in the box, but made up a long cord to plug into the rear of the truck.

Also, I agree that the system basically requires the spring loaded turnbuckles. He had solid turnbuckles before and tried using them, and the eyebolts pulled out of the front of the camper. He had it repaired and switched to the spring-loaded ones and has not had a problem since.

Old 09-09-2010, 01:36 PM
kdv
Junior User
We had tork lift spring loads on the front.

The tie downs were Boat Buckle brand. 5500 lb straps and 2500 lb hooks. The camper dry was around 2400 lbs. But use what you are comfortable with.

I had my camper sitting on a rubber bed mat. Never had any movement from it.

The one thing i wanted to change most on our camper was the manual legs. If buying i highly recommend finding a camper with electric, remote operated legs.

Good luck, Ken

Old 09-09-2010, 01:40 PM
dchamberlain
Post Fiend
dchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputation
2500 lb hooks an a 2400 lb camper are grossly insufficient. You've left yourself a 100 lb margin of error. Campers are very top heavy. I would guess that loads on the tie downs are significantly higher than the weight of the camper because of the sway.

Old 09-09-2010, 02:10 PM
kdv
Junior User
ok..........

Old 09-09-2010, 02:14 PM
jonsk
Senior User
Thanks for the info guys. Now were gettin somewhere !!!

Old 09-09-2010, 05:20 PM
kdv
Junior User
Their is a forum on www.rv.net for a lot of camping info, including a truck camper section.

Old 09-09-2010, 05:26 PM
gkas
Freshman User
gkas is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by kdv View Post
Their is a forum on www.rv.net for a lot of camping info, including a truck camper section.
If you want to talk about Dodge trucks......

Old 09-09-2010, 08:23 PM
jeep.hauler
Junior User
jeep.hauler is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have a 2005 F450, when I secured the camper to the rear bumper the ends started to bend up. The rear bumper is not all steel the top flat area is plastic, so I ended up installing torklift system. No problems after that. If you use happi jack mounts in the front any shifting of the camper will flex the mounts and bend the edge of your bed. I highly recommend frame mounted tie downs. Check the truck camper sites for additional info. I see you have a SRW truck, stay away from the bigger campers. They are very top heavy and are recommend for a DRW. I have a artic fox 1150 and it is close to 4500lbs fully loaded.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:36 PM
Mr Hanky
Junior User
Mr Hanky is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have used both but was happier when I had the Torklift on my truck. The lance camper I had didn't seem to dolphin (Move up and down while driving) at all when mounted to the frame type tie-downs which it did quite a bit with the happijack system....besides who wants to have a triangular bracket permanently mounted between the cab and bed of the truck that after a few uses has the powder-coating start coming off and begin to rust....

Old 09-10-2010, 09:27 AM
kdv
Junior User
Originally Posted by gkas View Post
If you want to talk about Dodge trucks......
I havent been to the truck camper part since we got the fifth wheel a couple years ago.

I know sometimes the site can get a little......carried away...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Setting truck up for Slide in Camper

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.