1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Time to kick it up a gear

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 08:59 AM
rodeojunky
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Time to kick it up a gear

Get your head medicine out. I am gonna start taking alot of pictures and bugging the crap out of you all for info. Especially on the engine. I was told it came from a 53 merc, but who really knows if it actually was the original motor for that one. I need to atleast narrow it down so when I need part I get the right ones. So first question is: Are there any markings anywhere on the motor to help narrow down my quest? Next one is: My speedometer does not work. It was off but I reinstalled it (witch was less than easy due to the drive tran E-brake in the way) and it seamed to seat well but still not working. Could the gear in the tranny be broken?

Old 09-05-2010, 12:48 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
More likely the speedometer cable is broken. Get a power drill and hook it up to the transmission end of the cable and spinn it slowly. If the speedometer moves then it might be the driven gear on the end of the cable. If it doesn't, it's probably the cable or the speedometer itself.