1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

8BA FLATTIE SMOKING A BIT

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 07:13 AM
john smith jr
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
8BA FLATTIE SMOKING A BIT

I pulled a real bone head move a couple weeks ago when doing an oil change. I didn t get the top of the oil filter canister down tight enough. When I took it for a spin around the block ( 2 miles ) I noticed real low oil pressure and some noise when accelerating. The noise would be best described as the rattle from a deisel moter. I drove at 3MPR on the shoulder for a mile and got it home. It lost 2.5 quarts of oil. I got the top to the oil filter top down tight and added more oil.
Now it smokes a bit at random. It seem like its always up hill, and more if going uphill AFTER coming down a hill. It does not puff between gears or standing still, reving the motor. I have driven it almost 400 mile since so any oil that may have got on exhaust should be gone. I have always used a 30w oil but had a batch of 20w-50w around so... thats whats in it. Could the oil weight be part of it? I need to have some one follow me on a ride, but based on the smoke getting into my leaky old cab, it may be smoking out the breather tube.. The truck sat in a chicken coupe for 10+ years before the PO got hold of it.He did mostly body work. I got the fuel ignition and all thing for safety clean up and have been running it for 2.5 years/10,000 miles with not any noticable smoke. Its not like a smoke screen and it is random but there are times when I think the folks in the car following me may be less than thrilled. Any thoughts???

Last edited by john smith jr; 09-05-2010 at 09:37 AM. Reason: editing..... DUH added a coma
Old 09-05-2010, 08:23 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
don't be too concerned yet . one all the bad stuff that a pcv valve sucks up and burns again in a new motor is pouring out your draft tube , mine does it too . mine sat for much longer than youra and was frozen up , got it going and she smoked for a week or so before we got the rings to seat again . done a lil trick my gramps had tought me . took some comet cleaner , mixed a little in saome gas in a 1 litre bottle once a day for a few days and ran the engine off that . the conet is fine enough not too hurt your motor but course enough too clean the cylinder walls ....................

Old 09-05-2010, 08:39 AM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Put some MMO in the pan and run it for a hundred miles or so (Not in 1-10 mile spurts), change the oil back to 30 wt.
At least you know that the oil is getting circulated.

Old 09-05-2010, 09:55 AM
john smith jr
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been thinking about looking into the PVC valve kit they have for Flatties. I know a couple guys here have them. Dont know much about them and/or if or how much burning oil they can process.
I just got back from a 60 mile run and it was not bad at all today, except on a 3 mile run on I 95 at 55 to 65 mph. The smoke was as noticable as ever during that turnpike spurt.
Thanks for the tricks I may give them a go.
Its bugging me that I have never noticed any oil burn until after the nit wit move with the filter cap. Who knows,....I have been so preoccupied with gas tanks, fuel pumps, drag links,tie rods,springs, carbs,dizzy's,shocks,wiring, ...that I never noticed.
Any thoughts on the PVC kits?

Old 09-05-2010, 09:56 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
See if the plugs are showing any sign of oil burning or wet. Is your fuel mix too rich, washing oil off the cylinders? 20w50 should be fine. If you putt SeaFoam or MMO in it, be wary of a plugged screen from all the stuff it might knock loose.