6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

I took my new flash for a ride today

Old 09-04-2010, 10:10 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I took my new flash for a ride today

Guys,

I took my truck with it's new programming for a ride through the countryside today. I posted the following on the RV forum:

I have over 9000 miles on my new truck. This has been accumulated in just 68 days. 3500 of the miles have been pulling my 13000# Big Horn. I have not towed with the new tune. Today I went up to Frankenmuth and out through the countryside for a 167 mile trip. 60 miles of 75 to 80 mph freeway and most of the the balance on two lane rural roads. Several stops in small towns for Debbie to look around the antique shops. There were 20 miles or so of city driving. The original programming would have averaged 18.5 mpg. The new programming averaged 19.3. I am comfortable stating the new tuning will get a little more than 1/2 mpg more in fuel mileage. The power increase is quite noticeable. It is a 9% increase in torque. It pulls harder through the mid-range. It will get rubber in the first 3 gears. The smoothness of the new trans program is the real difference. The original programming was quite smooth unless you really got on it. At times, it would shift like it was slightly confused. The shifts did not seem mushy to me at that time but compared to the new programming it was.. The new trans programming is silky smooth from hole shot to 95 mph. Deb even commented on it from the passenger seat. I ran some 20mph to 75 mph acceleration tests using my phones stopwatch. Non-scientific but 4 runs showed around a half second quicker to 75. It is not a dyno but bears out the seat of pants feelings. It will be interesting to see the real numbers. This upgrade has made an outstanding truck perform even better. More time has passed and the reliability is still in the phenomenal range. After the trials and tribulations of the last 2 IH/Navistar joint ventures Ford needed grand slam home run. It looks like they have hit one. Time will tell all.

I am sure the Dodge guys enjoyed it.

Regards

Old 09-04-2010, 10:24 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,445 Likes on 891 Posts
Good right up Rictatic... Sounds like the love affair with International and the 6.0psd is in the past!

I've yet to drive a 6.7psd but I've bumped into a few owners already and all of them love the power and fuel economy and no problems.

Old 09-04-2010, 11:39 PM
rdenis
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep, the butt dyno knows best - always! I'm getting my tune on Wednesday - can't wait.

Old 09-05-2010, 12:11 PM
Nipperdog
Elder User
Has anyone got a letter from Ford advising of the reflash. I haven't recieved anything yet.

Old 09-05-2010, 01:12 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Cmon Troy,

I never had a love affair with the 6.0. It was much more like staying married for the kids type of deal. You do what you have to do to make it work. BTDT on both counts. You might be doing yourself a favor by not driving a 2011 6.7 truck. I hear it is called the $50000 test drive.

Nipperdog

I did not wait for my dealer to call. I was ahead of them on that front. Powerstroke HD and others have posted that the upgrade appears when your dealer requests an OASIS report on your vin. They then use that information to validate the procedure. Call your dealer. They have the flash or need to download it to IDS.

Regards

Old 09-05-2010, 01:17 PM
My08F250FX4
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rickatic
I hear it is called the $50000 test drive.

I'll vouch for the price of the test drive , traded my '08 in for my 2011.

Old 09-05-2010, 01:31 PM
rdenis
Tuned
When I got to go for my test drive, dealer let me take it out buy myself - bad idea or good depending on your perspective. I put the truck thorugh its paces including but not limited to, 0 to 80 to 0 testing on a remote straight stretch under the following settings:

1) T/C on
2) T/C off
3) Full auto with T/C
4) Full auto no T/C
5) Manual shift wih T/C
6) Manual shift no T/C

That was the best test drive I ever had and really what sold me on the truck to a large degreee. This was of course on a pre-flash unit back in July. Less than a week later I had my new truck in the driveway.

I am so glad Ford has offered this upgrade to pre-flash owners. New buyers after Aug. 3 production dates will never know how good of an upgrade this is.

BTW - I just walked into my dealer yesterday to schedule the upgrade - they had no idea what I was talking about until i edumacted them and they finally found the info in their computer system. I know I'm in Canada but seriously WTF? This dealer has several 2011's on the lot that are liekly pre-flash and the service gal didn't know if they were going to flash them now or after they were sold - not to mention who knows how many salesman are advising the customers to get the flash done...

In anycase you don't need a letter from Ford, just a truck! If the dealer hassles them send them to ford.com -it's all over the webernets.

Old 09-05-2010, 01:53 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Troy knows how much fun I have with the Dodge boys over at RVnet. I posted the same writeup over there yesterday. It was attacked so many times, defended too, that unfortunately they closed the thread. They closed it with no explanation as to why.

Old 09-05-2010, 01:55 PM
rdenis
Tuned
Hah that is PRICELESS!

Old 09-05-2010, 06:52 PM
builttoughf350
Mountain Pass
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Rickatic- im curious what gears you have in your rear differential ?

i have the 3.55 gears, and have been averaging 15-16 MPG, but with only a couple hundred miles on my truck im sure it will get better !

Old 09-05-2010, 07:42 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
I have the 3.55's as well. Mine started getting better after 1000 miles.

Old 09-05-2010, 07:46 PM
PowerStrokeHD
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Nipperdog
Has anyone got a letter from Ford advising of the reflash. I haven't recieved anything yet.
Last word is that they would start mailing the owner letters on September 10th. Dealers have also been informed that they should offer the upgrade to any affected vehicle owners that arrive at their dealerships, whether or not the customer has received a letter...

Old 09-05-2010, 08:54 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Troy knows how much fun I have with the Dodge boys over at RVnet. I posted the same writeup over there yesterday. It was attacked so many times, defended too, that unfortunately they closed the thread. They closed it with no explanation as to why.
Sure can... Every 6.0 psd thread is guaranteed to get locked , but I didn't know the latest 6.7 psd thread got locked also since I haven't been there since Thursday.

Anyways it appears that the Dodge boys there are not sure how to attack the new 6.7 and now with its great fuel economy, 800 ft/lbs of torque, and no major issues being reported; these Dodge boys are scrambling. Great job Rickatic and be persistant over there . I don't believe the Dodge boys are sleeping too well in their RV's behind their Dodge trucks.

Old 09-05-2010, 08:59 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Cmon Troy,

I hear it is called the $50000 test drive.
I almost pulled the $50,000 trigger this year and talked myself out of it. I'll continue the 6.0 psd love affair for now since the kids are out of the house so to speak (aka truck is paid for and doesn't cost me too much $$$).

Old 09-06-2010, 12:10 AM
rickatic
Postmaster
It is getting desperate over there. I was told today I needed counseling for wearing my Ford emotions on my sleeve. I had joked about the continuing successes of the Ford making the Dodge boys unhappy because they had no one to bash. One of the biggest bashers over there is driving a 15 year old gas Dodge truck but knows it all. It is beginning to look like the old adage abut having a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent... The only reason I keep up the rebuttals is to help get the guys with a 6.0 that need help better information than to 'ship it to China".

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I took my new flash for a ride today