6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

I took my new flash for a ride today

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 07:03 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Hey Ricatic, can I throw something at you? Kinda hijacking the thread, sorry.

I really have never taken a position on trying to justify the superiority of a Ford diesel over the Cummins simply because I don't know enough. I don't think I could say that a Cummins is an inferior motor, but I will say that I would never own a Dodge product these days as the truck is not up to par with our SD's.

My question is, an inline 6 engine seems to me as a great design, either gas or diesel. A V8 is great but the inline 6 just has a more refined power delivery and I don't really understand why it's not used more. I am kinda interested in your opinion.

Old 09-06-2010, 09:16 AM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am not anti Cummins at all. It has proven to be a very good product. It is, however, not perfect. The new 6.7 Cummins has had it's fair share of issues. I am also not a Dodge truck basher. One will never find a post by me bashing the truck. I would say that the chance of me ever owning one is very slight. My battle over at RVnet is never about the OB trucks. It is about keeping factual information about the Ford 6.0 in front of sometimes bewildered owners who have not found this site. The RV world is full of blissfully happy campers that have bought 6.0 trucks and now are faced with it's quirks. There are an equal amount of OB zealot's that have no answers but plenty of 6.0 vitriol to spew. Most only have anecdotal and often irrelevant stories to tell. One guy likes to bring up the warranty costs and the powerstokehelp site as his sources. A few have owned problem child 6.0 trucks and have some anger. I can understand that. I have had a bad 6.0. That does not change the facts that there are many avenues to travel that will make the 6.0 tolerable to own. I post the information for the benefit of those that have asked. When attacked, I fight back with facts. Now to answer your V8 or I6 question, I have never thought much about it. I have owned both. Cummins and Cat I6's in diesel motorhomes. IH in a dump truck. A 7.3, 6.0 and now a 6.7 V8 in Ford trucks. Oh, I also had a 5.7 Olds diesel. I think I'll have a V8...

Regards

Old 09-06-2010, 10:02 AM
boertje
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rickatic
Cmon Troy,

I never had a love affair with the 6.0. It was much more like staying married for the kids type of deal. You do what you have to do to make it work. BTDT on both counts. You might be doing yourself a favor by not driving a 2011 6.7 truck. I hear it is called the $50000 test drive.

Nipperdog

I did not wait for my dealer to call. I was ahead of them on that front. Powerstroke HD and others have posted that the upgrade appears when your dealer requests an OASIS report on your vin. They then use that information to validate the procedure. Call your dealer. They have the flash or need to download it to IDS.

Regards
Thats exactly why I have not driven one yet. I know if I do, I'll trade off my old Dmax in a heart beat. Reason my Dmax is still here is that it has 185 K miles, gets 20mpg at 75 and the best part is that it is paid for.

Old 09-06-2010, 07:00 PM
Rafiki2cu
Senior User
I talked to my service manager about my flash update, and he said there was a updated flash in a couple of weeks. He thinks it will cover more concerns than the one out now. He has suggested that I hold out for this flash instead. Has anyone any info on this higher flash?

Old 09-06-2010, 08:19 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
You get the scoop prize on that one. If there is another one coming, it has not been posted anywhere I have seen. PowerstrokeHD is on top of all this and he has not said anything about it nor was it on the listing of the scheduled Job 2 changes into 2012 he posted here. I am betting your dealer is wrong.

Regards

Old 09-06-2010, 09:52 PM
PowerStrokeHD
Postmaster
You get the scoop prize on that one. If there is another one coming, it has not been posted anywhere I have seen. PowerstrokeHD is on top of all this and he has not said anything about it nor was it on the listing of the scheduled Job 2 changes into 2012 he posted here. I am betting your dealer is wrong.

Regards
Well I sure have not heard anything and would be very suprised too at this point as it seems they would have just waited another 2 weeks to start 10B17. The only other calibration update that I know of at this time for the 6.7L is for the chassis cabs and it will give them most of the updates the pickups get with the exception of the power...

Old 09-07-2010, 04:49 AM
Rafiki2cu
Senior User

Regards
I have a service appointment this morning and I will try to get more info. I bet your right and he is reading something wrong.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:32 AM
frt2599
Senior User
Originally Posted by Rafiki2cu
I have a service appointment this morning and I will try to get more info. I bet your right and he is reading something wrong.
Mine is scheduled to go in tomorrow for the flash. Of course when I called them they had not idea what I was talking about until I insisted they look it up.. Gives you a warm and fuzzy.....

Old 09-07-2010, 10:04 AM
Rafiki2cu
Senior User
Originally Posted by PowerStrokeHD
Well I sure have not heard anything and would be very suprised too at this point as it seems they would have just waited another 2 weeks to start 10B17. The only other calibration update that I know of at this time for the 6.7L is for the chassis cabs and it will give them most of the updates the pickups get with the exception of the power...
PowerStrokeHD. My dealer said that program 10B17 had a IDS release 69.01 and higher, but that he could only do a 68.08 now. He thought that I should wait until he could reprogam with the higher version. Do you know what he is talking about?

Old 09-07-2010, 10:20 AM
frt2599
Senior User
PowerStrokeHD. My dealer said that program 10B17 had a IDS release 69.01 and higher, but that he could only do a 68.08 now. He thought that I should wait until he could reprogam with the higher version. Do you know what he is talking about?
Called my dealer and he said the IDS release is the release of the software they use to download the flash. So the software release on their computer. Still doesn't make sense...

Old 09-07-2010, 11:06 AM
cummins cowboy
Elder User
since I have been a dodge guy, I will offer my opinion. dodge IMO is behind they are not using urea injection to regain the mileage they lost with all the emissions regulations. they are stubborn about not wanting to use DEF. why I don't know, when they do I think the cummins platform will be back to getting the best mileage out of any of the trucks. the public knows full well what has happened to diesels since 2007, we don't want soutty engine oil, we don't want sucky mileage and we don't want a bunch of issues. with DEF you are addressing the first 2 concerns, the engines just don't run how we want them to without DEF. dodge does not offer DEF for their engines, which BTW is cheaper than having to change your oil at much shorter intervals.

dodge has a very weak ball joint design on the 4x4's they did nothing to change it on the 2010 and up trucks. dodge has been known as having a weak front end since the beginning of time, why in the world don't they kill that with a sledghammer. the steering is however much improved and IMO better than ford, my 95k mile 06 dodge had more responsive steering than the 2011 ford I drove.

the reason I am buying a ford is because it uses DEF to run better and because I am hoping the ball joints and u joints will last to 100k miles, with dodge I am already needing a 3rd set by 100k miles. I wonder why ford didn't make an Inline 6 engine. to me its a much simpler engine to get right, it will have fewer parts more room under the hood. I wonder if its more trouble to get big HP out of an inline 6.

Old 09-07-2010, 12:13 PM
skylinekw
Senior User
I went to my dealership today to pick up some parts. I asked service about the flash. He had no idea. After looking and talking to the tech. He said they need the 68.08 and the 69.01. He only had the 68.08. They were trying to get the other one. I am bringing the truck on Thursday.
E

Old 09-07-2010, 01:54 PM
PowerStrokeHD
Postmaster
If you look at the link below you will see that 10B17 is covered under IDS 68.08 and higher OR 69.01 and higher. No need to wait for anything as nothing is planned to change at this time. Granted, if you choose to wait that is up to you and you have plenty of time as 10B17 does not expire until 8/31/11...

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/a...2&d=1283466947

Old 09-07-2010, 02:17 PM
Rafiki2cu
Senior User
Originally Posted by PowerStrokeHD
If you look at the link below you will see that 10B17 is covered under IDS 68.08 and higher OR 69.01 and higher. No need to wait for anything as nothing is planned to change at this time. Granted, if you choose to wait that is up to you and you have plenty of time as 10B17 does not expire until 8/31/11..

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/a...2&d=1283466947
Thanks for the info. I don't why dealer thought there was something else.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:07 PM
crowex
Freshman User
Phoned my dealer and they said they did not know of any flash. called my salesman and he went and talked to the diesel foreman who then went and straightend out the service manager!!!!! my truck goes in at 8 am tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can't wait to see the difference in towing my trailer.

Quick Reply: I took my new flash for a ride today