6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

New CS and Temps are Horrible what now?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 05:03 PM
wolffee
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New CS and Temps are Horrible what now?

OK well I have some problems and questions. I got my new CS to be able to tell me EOT after getting some help from EDGE today with new firmware's. Here are my numbers and they arent good. In stop and go traffic for 20 min my temps were bad. Max ECT was 180 and EOT was 198. Cruise on at 70 for 15min and things just got worse from there. ECT hit 184 and EOT hit 214. Wanted to cry... When I got off the highway I did a couple short WOT's max ECT 192 and EOT hit 216. Not good at all. I know I need an oil cooler but my question is should I still drive it or park it. I wont be able to drop it off till Sat. What harm comes from having more of a difference then 15deg? What does it affect. Havent noticed any changes in driving condition. Thanks.

Ryan
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Old 08-25-2010, 05:30 PM
sammy77
Postmaster
Well its definetly time for coolers(EGR & OIL) If its only till this weekend you'll probably be ok. Continue to monitor things and any indication of problems shut it down. If its gonna be more than a week I wouldn't push it, you never know what can happen...

Old 08-25-2010, 05:38 PM
sammy77
Postmaster
I might add if you are towing with your truck, now would not be a great time.

Old 08-25-2010, 05:42 PM
Striderwv
More Turbo
Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts
Ryan: Sorry to hear about your readings. I know what you mean about crying. I got very similar ones when I installed my cts. I've got all my parts and I'm in the process of a two week flush to clean the cooling system for an oil cooler r&r/egr delete over Labor Day weekend. I would suggest cleaning your cooling system with VC-9 and distilled water prior to the repairs. Here's some reading to start off with:

VC-9 Before and after; Worth the money - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

As for driving, I am still driving mine, but I did set bismic's alarms in the following thread:

Recommended readings - Temperature and Pressure - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Never triggered any, even with a load of slabs on a long haul from the mill. I'm just keeping a close eye on things until the repairs.

I appears you are going to have someone else do the repairs. However, I would suggest doing the flush yurself until the distilled water comes out clear. That may help your new cooler last longer from what I have read. I see you have a coolant filter. Put a new one on after the repairs. Good Luck, and remember, you are not alone. Some have been there, some are there, and some will be there.

Old 08-25-2010, 06:22 PM
wolffee
Elder User
Would you think that I need the VC-9 before doing the change. I did a full coolant fluch at 100k and Im only at 108k now? I am going to have someone do it. I COULD do it but for the time and money I have to much going on right now. Shop is only going to charge me 6 hours at 75 and hour so 450$ in labor. If it takes the shop 6 it would probably take me 8 or 9. As for the cooler I can get the kit for basically a little more than cost because of my job. I am worried about driving it but then again if my gauge hadnt come in who knows how long I probably would have gone. Can you all think of anything else preventative to get done while I am in there I already have an EGR by-pass and an Amsoil by-pass.

Old 08-25-2010, 06:37 PM
rsmarcil
Freshman User
Just a thought. Why not try changing your thermostat first. Your ECT numbers look low to me.The thermostat starts opening around 195 degrees. It could be stuck open giving you the wider spead readings. EOT readings look like mine. I wouldn't go by the WOT readings. That's what I would try anyway.

Old 08-25-2010, 06:41 PM
Striderwv
More Turbo
Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts
Code:
Would you think that I need the VC-9 before doing the change. I did a full coolant fluch at 100k and Im only at 108k now?
Depends on how well the flush was done at 100k I would think. IMHO: VC-9 for an hour on the highway, rinse with distilled water until clear.

Code:
Can you all think of anything else preventative to get done while I am in there I already have an EGR by-pass and an Amsoil by-pass.
IIRC Benchwrench had some good threads along this line recently.

Old 08-25-2010, 06:44 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by rsmarcil
Just a thought. Why not try changing your thermostat first. Your ECT numbers look low to me.The thermostat starts opening around 195 degrees. It could be stuck open giving you the wider spead readings. EOT readings look like mine. I wouldn't go by the WOT readings. That's what I would try anyway.
I agree with the above and will add, don't take the readings too serious till you have about 20 miles hiwy. unloaded driving about 55 to 65 mph. It takes this long for all the temps. to start equalizing. Also if you didn't use VC-9 when you did the flush then you need to do it over. The VC-9 is an iron cleaner that lets the coolant cling to the cylinder liners to prevent heating cavitation.

Old 08-25-2010, 06:53 PM
wolffee
Elder User
Ok im conviced on the VC-9. Now with the thermostat. Is there a chart around about normal readings of temps. I have yet to see the temp get over 192 or so in the last week. High way and all. So maybe it is stuck open. I am sure its not to tough to change on this. Instructions on that though would be good as well...Thanks..

Ryan

Old 08-25-2010, 06:57 PM
w_huisman
Elder User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I second the notion that you should start with a new stat. Those ects look low to me, like your stat is stuck open.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:20 PM
wolffee
Elder User
What would a normal ECT be? It normally stays in the 178-186. I was doing 30min of high way yesturday 75-80pmh entire time and never went abover 185 or so. I thought someone had a table going around at some point of all the temps. Trans and stuff. Does the EOT look high in general?

Old 08-25-2010, 07:24 PM
w_huisman
Elder User

The stock thermostats are calibrated to 195, IIRC.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:32 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Once everything is equalized, key word, I usually run 195 to 204. Normal according to my tech. 70 degrees or 110 degrees out, ambient, which it was today that is the spread that I run.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:05 PM
wolffee
Elder User
Wow ok well that makes me feel a little bit better. The only time I ever saw over 190 is after like 3 WOT;s with about 2 min between each. Taking each WOT to about 50mph so not to harsh. Even then only saw 192. When I did my flush I didnt do the VC-9 only flushed with water. Tap at that. Did fill it with 50/50. I read the instuctions posted about VC-9 and it all seems staright forward except for one stupid question what is the ACL?

Old 08-25-2010, 08:10 PM
w_huisman
Elder User

Anterior cruciate ligament.

Quick Reply: New CS and Temps are Horrible what now?