Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Mid Fifty One Piece Windows question for 1955

Old 02-23-2011, 11:53 AM
superman64011
Senior User
superman64011 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by sdetweil View Post
Shaving tempered glass doesn't sound too easy!

Sam
No. You're right Sam. I figured it would be an easy fix. But it's not. It can be done but it's a huge process

So I took the door off(blah) and found some more off. Ran some sticks through the felt again. Seems pretty good. Still a hair tight but thats prob cause it's new felts. Anyway.

Rolla up great. Rolls down not great. A little resistance and the extended window bar pops off the window. Talked to Mid Fifty and asked about gluing it with a little silicone. They said people do that too. So hopefully prob solved. Just have to do the pass side. Haha

Thanks for all the replies and help. Appreciate it.

Patrick

Old 02-23-2011, 12:01 PM
sdetweil
Post Fiend
sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by superman64011 View Post
No. You're right Sam. I figured it would be an easy fix. But it's not. It can be done but it's a huge process

So I took the door off(blah) and found some more off. Ran some sticks through the felt again. Seems pretty good. Still a hair tight but thats prob cause it's new felts. Anyway.

Rolla up great. Rolls down not great. A little resistance and the extended window bar pops off the window. Talked to Mid Fifty and asked about gluing it with a little silicone. They said people do that too. So hopefully prob solved. Just have to do the pass side. Haha

Thanks for all the replies and help. Appreciate it.

Patrick
yes, I glued the track rubbers to the glass.. forgot that..
I used weatherstrip adhesive..

Sam

Old 02-23-2011, 06:00 PM
superman64011
Senior User
yes, I glued the track rubbers to the glass.. forgot that..
I used weatherstrip adhesive..

Sam
Ohhhhh. You forgot......

Old 02-23-2011, 06:54 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
arctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputation
Weather strip adhesive is damn good stuff. It's way better than dencher (sp) cream. But taste really bad.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:11 PM
sdetweil
Post Fiend
sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by arctic y block View Post
Weather strip adhesive is damn good stuff. It's way better than dencher (sp) cream. But taste really bad.
and the buildup between your teeth is really unsightly!

Sam

Old 03-05-2011, 05:18 PM
superman64011
Senior User
Another Update on the Window.

I put some pics up with the stock regulator, I know Sam hadnt seen one before.

The window rolls up and down fine with the window adhesive/silicone on the extended track, window doesnt pop out when it feels some resistance from the felts.

I did however put one metal roller in the track. Mid Fifty recommends not using steel in the catalog but when I rolled it up about 10 times in a row(prob cause I couldnt believe it finally worked ) the nylon roller closet to the hinge would kinda get tweeked and twist out. So I sanded the dirt off a metal one and oiled it a little and put it in. Works great!

Wndow doesnt go up true and level, gets kinda caddywompus a hair, but not bad. Its working just fine. Yeah!!!! Not sure this is because its not exactly a true track or the window regulator is possibly 50 years old. I also put small 6/32 inch screws at the ends of the track to stop the roller from rolling out. It was rolling out on me initially. Ive always had probs with the drivers door though. Just my luck

Patrick

Old 03-05-2011, 07:30 PM
sdetweil
Post Fiend
congrats.. nice to know info on the rollers..

but the window doesn't go up true.. thats what the extended track is supposed to cure.. how did you know where to mount the track on the glass? did they give you some measurements?

sam

Old 03-05-2011, 09:14 PM
superman64011
Senior User
congrats.. nice to know info on the rollers..

but the window doesn't go up true.. thats what the extended track is supposed to cure.. how did you know where to mount the track on the glass? did they give you some measurements?

sam
Nah, of course no measurements, ha ha. It is just shy an 1/2 to 3/4 inch prob on each side. So I split the difference, but I think thats why my rollers were falling off, so when I put the silicone in the channel it allowed the channel on the window to slide a little, so I rolled it up and down a couple times to let it align itself. So who knows for sure. Its not that far off, but you can tell when you watch it close. Im just glad they are working.