Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Mid Fifty One Piece Windows question for 1955

Old 09-04-2010, 09:52 AM
CdnWillyG
Senior User
CdnWillyG is starting off with a positive reputation.
Sam please keep this info flowing , I'm getting some good stuff hear! I will be doing this to on my truck soon just not today.

Old 09-04-2010, 04:07 PM
superman64011
Senior User
superman64011 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Well got one door cut out. Took the Vent strip out. Used what Sam did and used a weld drill bit remover, that was slick. Unfortunately on my drivers side I didnt see all the welds so I chipped a lot of paint on that one. Pass side. Easy. Drilled about 5. Trial and errors. Ugh. That hinge part was a bear. Got the drivers side done. Cut the easy part out with a air cutter. Used a sawsall with a metal bit cutting the hinge/inner shell out. Banged my door 3 times with it and not I got little nipples in my door. Ugh. What a pain. Thank God I did it before paint. Not the easiest thing to do. Thanks guys.

Old 09-04-2010, 04:28 PM
sdetweil
Post Fiend
sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.
you can always fix before paint.. really hard sometimes after..

sam

Old 09-04-2010, 07:35 PM
superman64011
Senior User
Yeah, im gonna slide a small sheet of 1/4 inch plywood before I do the pass side. Sawsall's are awesome, but when it jerks ya, it jacked me a little bit.

Old 09-07-2010, 02:57 PM
superman64011
Senior User
Well. Talked to our friends at Mid Fifty about that little strip of metal below the vent strip in the slanted part of te window channel. They are fairly confident it has to be taken out. That thing is gonna be a *****. Oh well.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:39 PM
royleexx
New User
royleexx is starting off with a positive reputation.
1 piece curved glass

i started this project about 2 weeks ago i followed the instruction i got with the 1 piece curved glass kit from midfifty ford i am having problems getting the glass to go up the channels any info will help thanks roy

Old 02-07-2011, 06:30 AM
sdetweil
Post Fiend
sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.
can u explain more on your troubles? If you look at my gallery there is a step by step to my install.

Sam

Old 02-07-2011, 09:38 AM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
arctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputation
Wow! I'll keep my vent windows. Thank you. It makes for a great ash tray.

Old 02-07-2011, 11:07 PM
royleexx
New User
royleexx is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by sdetweil View Post
can u explain more on your troubles? If you look at my gallery there is a step by step to my install.

Sam
i did everything u did i installed a elect window kit when i try to run the glass up it want go up the front channel it hit the metal on the outside of the channel and want go in the channel

Old 02-07-2011, 11:15 PM
sdetweil
Post Fiend
Sounds like the power window kit is not lined up properly. I had this trouble too. I needed to move the motor more inside the door to lift the glass more in line with the track. I also had to move the bottom of the motor back a little to keep the rear edge of the glass in the rear track.

also note that I swapped the rear channels, left door to right door, and vice versa, to be able to line the track up with the front track and keep the glass in the channel.

here is a picture inside the door which shows the back channel position..

Sam

Attached Images  
Old 02-08-2011, 06:23 AM
Drewski 2
Elder User
Drewski 2 has much to be proud ofDrewski 2 has much to be proud ofDrewski 2 has much to be proud ofDrewski 2 has much to be proud ofDrewski 2 has much to be proud ofDrewski 2 has much to be proud ofDrewski 2 has much to be proud ofDrewski 2 has much to be proud ofDrewski 2 has much to be proud ofDrewski 2 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by thepitshop View Post
which kit do you have? for the angled window or perfectly straight window kit with the door opening straighteners, i`ve installed their straight window kit and i`ll tell you one thing their instructions SUCK!the weld in chanels are not long enough and have to be reworked, the side and top have a brace you have to remove as Sam is showing one of the braces, i just found the spot welds and drilled them out, used a small chisel to finish removal,same for the top,have fun!!!
Did you make any pics of the modifications to the door for the straight glass. I'm going to do the same as you have, but thought I could probably make all the stuff needed myself. As I recall there was an article done in some detail of this mod by one of the better known rod shops several years ago. It's too bad we don't live close since we seem to be traveling down the same roads on our builds. It would be nice to compare notes with a fellow darksider.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:53 AM
thepitshop
Posting Guru
thepitshop has much to be proud ofthepitshop has much to be proud ofthepitshop has much to be proud ofthepitshop has much to be proud ofthepitshop has much to be proud ofthepitshop has much to be proud ofthepitshop has much to be proud ofthepitshop has much to be proud of
Andrew,make a list of what specs you need, pics ect, if i knew what the kit consisted of i would of built it myself, the only thing thats installed on mine right now is the window straightener 90 degree plate the rest is still off so i can easily measure it up tonight.

Old 02-09-2011, 03:06 AM
superman64011
Senior User
Well. I still don't have my windows in for you all that care. I wish I woulda stuck to the Vent windows now

Getting my truck painted. So I asked the paint/body shop to finish the install. Just had to drill the hinge hole and install felts and put the glass in. Truck is all painted but...... They said the glass wouldn't roll all the way up. Dang!!!

Haven't picked my truck up with all the snow we have had. I just hope whoever put it in didn't put the correct window bar in right or tried the wrong side of the glass. Right side in left side or vice versa. I got my fingers crossed.

Old 02-09-2011, 07:01 AM
Drewski 2
Elder User
Drewski 2 has much to be proud ofDrewski 2 has much to be proud ofDrewski 2 has much to be proud ofDrewski 2 has much to be proud ofDrewski 2 has much to be proud ofDrewski 2 has much to be proud ofDrewski 2 has much to be proud ofDrewski 2 has much to be proud ofDrewski 2 has much to be proud ofDrewski 2 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by thepitshop View Post
Andrew,make a list of what specs you need, pics ect, if i knew what the kit consisted of i would of built it myself, the only thing thats installed on mine right now is the window straightener 90 degree plate the rest is still off so i can easily measure it up tonight.
Gil, a few pictures would suffice. I was curious what they sent you in a kit form. I wasn't even aware that anyone offered a kit. I guess I figured that when you went the modified route, you were on your own.

Darksiders seem to be very quiet on this site lately. Have the purist beat them down or are they in their garages thinking up new mods?

Old 02-09-2011, 07:37 AM
sdetweil
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by superman64011 View Post
Well. I still don't have my windows in for you all that care. I wish I woulda stuck to the Vent windows now

Getting my truck painted. So I asked the paint/body shop to finish the install. Just had to drill the hinge hole and install felts and put the glass in. Truck is all painted but...... They said the glass wouldn't roll all the way up. Dang!!!

Haven't picked my truck up with all the snow we have had. I just hope whoever put it in didn't put the correct window bar in right or tried the wrong side of the glass. Right side in left side or vice versa. I got my fingers crossed.
what mechanism are you using to raise/lower the glass? manual or power?

I had a problem with the electric lift getting stuck partway up.. I had to make spacers between the door shell inner and the lift mount. also had to shorten the lift track at the top to get it to fit under the window lip on the inside.. tricky fitting it all in.

and the felts are new, so they are tight.. I used a couple little metal scraps held with a pair of vicegrips to ride up & down the felt to open it up a little.

Sam

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mid Fifty One Piece Windows question for 1955

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.