1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

New Owner - 1951 F2

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 09:05 PM
lobsterbak
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Owner - 1951 F2

Hi guys,

We just brought home our first old Ford, a 1951 Ford F2. We've restored quite a few cars (1971 Camaro, 1978 Trans Am, 1981 Chevy C10 and a 1987 Buick Grand National), so these trucks are new to us.

It's in pretty decent shape, not too much rust...but it could benefit from new wiring, brakes, fenders and glass. The 6 actually fired right up once my brother got some gas in her

I understand parts for F2's are harder to find, but are there any sources for brake shoes, fenders (fiberglass or steel) and wiring? I hate wiring - So I'd like a plug and play deal but I can't seem to find one. Look's simple enough to wire with a generic kit if we have too. Plan on picking up a Shop manual soon.

Thanks in Advance, Ill get some pics up soon

Old 09-01-2010, 09:11 PM
lvin4jc
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi there, welcome. You have come to the right spot, everything you will ever need to know about your truck is right here Sounds like you're ready to wipe that GM (generally mediocre) stuff off your hands and work on a real vehicle, a Ford Where are you from?

Old 09-01-2010, 09:24 PM
lobsterbak
New User
I was pointed here by someone over at NastyZ28.com We are both still GM guys thru and thru, but this thing looked too cool to pass up.

Don't hate on GM's

Old 09-01-2010, 09:45 PM
POS-F500
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lobsterbak
I was pointed here by someone over at NastyZ28.com We are both still GM guys thru and thru, but this thing looked too cool to pass up.

Don't hate on GM's
haha... that's true, and I'm that 'someone'... My Camaro and 57 Chevy aren't going anywhere.. but now I own two Fords...
Welcome to the site Lobster!
And I happen to know; that you know better... so let's see the pics.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:58 PM
canadian_diesel1964
Senior User
I also just bought a 1951 F1 in Pieces...yes a project and will need lots o help!!!!

Old 09-01-2010, 10:47 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,422 Likes on 1,378 Posts

I understand parts for F2's are harder to find, but are there any sources for brake shoes, fenders (fiberglass or steel) and wiring? I hate wiring - So I'd like a plug and play deal but I can't seem to find one. Look's simple enough to wire with a generic kit if we have too. Plan on picking up a Shop manual soon.

Parts for the F-2 aren't as difficult to find as you might think. But that might depend on exactly what you're looking for. For general mechanical parts, engine, brakes, etc., your local NAPA store will be great help. If you've restored other cars, you know you need to order every parts catalog from about every source you can come up with and study them. Other than the unique heavy duty chassis components and a few select body pieces, everything from the more popular F-1 will interchange.

Fenders will be used steel only. You could probably use the F-1 fiberglass if you wanted to (they will physically fit), but the wheel openings are smaller. Beds are the hardest part, as those on the F-2 and 3 are longer and wider than the half ton and the parts are not reproduced.

Wiring shouldn't be too difficult. If you want plug and play, and you plan on keeping your truck stock, there are reproduction harnesses that duplicate the original, so you take one out and replace it with the other. No fuss-no muss. You can find these in the catalogs you're going to order. ;-)

Good luck with your project, and welcome to the forum. We're looking forward to seeing your pics!

Old 09-02-2010, 02:39 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Hi guys,

We just brought home our first old Ford, a 1951 Ford F2. We've restored quite a few cars (1971 Camaro, 1978 Trans Am, 1981 Chevy C10 and a 1987 Buick Grand National), so these trucks are new to us.

It's in pretty decent shape, not too much rust...but it could benefit from new wiring, brakes, fenders and glass. The 6 actually fired right up once my brother got some gas in her

Originally Posted by canadian_diesel1964
I also just bought a 1951 F1 in Pieces...yes a project and will need lots o help!!!!
Hello and welcome to you both!

Canadian D! You might want to start a thread of your own just to introduce your self!

Old 09-02-2010, 05:14 AM
lobsterbak
New User
Originally Posted by POS-F500
haha... that's true, and I'm that 'someone'... My Camaro and 57 Chevy aren't going anywhere.. but now I own two Fords...
Welcome to the site Lobster!
And I happen to know; that you know better... so let's see the pics.
everything you own is a POS eh? Our cars are going nowhere But I might have to light the Buick on fire if it decides to not cooperate today!

I just ordered catalogs from NPD and Mac's.

Will the wheel openings work with 16" wheels and look hideous? The front fenders are dented, and have some rust thru...but could probably be fixed, same with the backs. Someone must have taken a baseball bat to this thing.

What vendor sells wiring? I don't see anything in NPD or Mac's?

Old 09-02-2010, 05:25 AM
lobsterbak
New User
interesting writing on the doors...

No idea why those are upside down lol. Rust really looks worse than it is. We've brought back worse

Old 09-02-2010, 06:32 AM
POS-F500
Senior User
everything you own is a POS eh? Our cars are going nowhere ...
Yes.

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - View Single Post - I might be picking up another truck...

my username on a couple of shoebox forums is: POS57tudoor

it became kind of a theme..

Old 09-02-2010, 08:24 AM
Tomget
Posting Guru

Welcome Lobsterbak

Cool looking truck. nice photos/thanks

Goodluck/you'll get lots of answers here

Old 09-02-2010, 11:40 AM
lobsterbak
New User
Thanks guys Going up today to tune up the I6, then possibly looking at a flathead v8 tomorrow.

Old 09-03-2010, 06:46 AM
lobsterbak
New User
Been trying the search here, but it seems like it sucks

Can anyone shed some light as to how weird F1 Fenders would look on the truck? Are they that much smaller that a 16" wheel would look odd or not fit at all?

How much work is it to swap in a 1950 Flathead V8?

I'm picking up a new Master Cylinder from Advance today to try and get some brakes and maybe take her for a cruise around the yard

Old 09-03-2010, 10:25 AM
Corner Gas
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
You need 25 post before you can use the search function here. Try using google it usually leads you back to posts here. The cabs on these trucks are the same F1 - F8 and the wheels on the f1 are 16" just the wheel opening is smaller or the f1 also, the back fenders on the F2 & 3's are narrower then the F1.

Old 09-03-2010, 05:20 PM
dans 51 f2
Cross-Country
your 51 f2

would you be interested in selling the wheels?? i am looking for a set of ori ginal 51 f2 16" 8 bolt wheels. you can e-mail me @ spike51ford@yahoo.com.

Quick Reply: New Owner - 1951 F2