Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1988 f150 aftermarker stereo

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 09:04 AM
TheQuackKid
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1988 f150 aftermarker stereo

Hey ford fanatics, new guy here, I want to put in an aftermarket stereo on my '88 f150, its an XLT Lariat if that makes a difference, anyone out there with experience on how I should go about this? I can barely read the display on my current one anymore haha, thanks!

Old 08-19-2014, 09:45 AM
volfireman07
New User
I just put a Pioneer head unit in mine last night I bought at a pawn shop (in a 1988 XLT Lariat). I bought a wire kit and used the power wire plu but the speaker plug did not fit. I also bought an install kit that I didn't use.

I took the rear support and side supports off the old unit. I didn't need the mounting sleeve that came with the Pioneer unit either.

I found the right holes on the side of the new head unit and mounted the side supports (I only got 1 screw in each) and I found a screw to mount the rear support.

I think it took about 45 minutes total - start to clean-up. I tested the side mounts in a couple different holes to get it in the right spot.

It looks like a factory install. No gaps or holes.

Old 08-19-2014, 10:52 AM
jas88
Lead Driver

Received 355 Likes on 285 Posts
Those are very easy to do IMO. Just grab the bezel that goes around the radio and a/c controls and pull toward you. Remove the Ford radio and then put the sleeve that comes with your new radio into the bezel (you may have to trim it a bit). Use the white plastic hanger that is on the back of your Ford radio and put it on the new unit. For wiring, if you want the easiest setup, get an adaptor that will let you plug into the factory Ford wiring. They are readily available at WalMart and such.

If you are uncomfortable with this, I recommend you get your new head unit at Crutchfield. They will give you the wiring adaptors and instructions and such for free.

Old 08-19-2014, 11:04 AM
whiteboyslo
Posting Guru
Stereo installs on our trucks are real simple.

1. Pull the trim panel off from around the stereo/HVAC controls

2. Remove the 4 screws holding the stereo in (8mm or 10mm, I think)

3. Remove the stereo; remove the wiring harness/antenna

4. Wire the wiring harness for your new stereo into an adapter like this one: Metra Part # 70-1770 | Ford wire harness | Metra Online. You can wire directly to the vehicle's harness, but this is much simpler/quicker and allows you to not make a mess of your vehicle's wiring.

5. Install the stereo 'basket' (comes with the new stereo). I've done this two ways, both with good success. The first is to buy an install kit. This will give you a piece that attaches to the basket and allows you to secure the stereo using the original 4 screws. However, it should also be noted that the install kits for our trucks usually require you to remove a gazillion other tabs meant to work with the five bajillion other vehicles the kit is meant to work with. Therefore, I've instead started to use the method of installing the basket to the trim panel removed in the first step. It can be a tight fit, but a bit of patience and/or some time with a file makes for a nice fit. The only 'downside' to this is that the unit sticks out a bit further, but not so much that it looks out of place. As for re-mounting the white hangar on the back of the unit that slides along the 'tang' in the radio slot, I don't bother. I've owned 4 bricknoses and have installed aftermarket stereos in all of them. Not re-installing that piece on the back of the new stereo has never created an issue for me.

6. Install the stereo into the basket, then install the stereo into the truck using the adapter harness you created.

Stereos are cheap nowadays, and getting cheaper. I just put a new Pioneer stereo in my truck that cost me about $100 on Amazon, and it has all the bells and whistles I could ever want (including Bluetooth, which actually works great even in my very loud cab). This one doesn't even have a CD drive, which makes the unit very small and light. I pretty much only listen to music by streaming via BT from my phone (Pandora or Spotify), so it's great for me.

Mike

Old 08-19-2014, 11:19 AM
TheQuackKid
New User
Okay okay. thanks for the input guys, I was thinking about buying this one, but I am kinda wanting to get a bluetooth ready stereo as well...
Boss 612UA Single-Din Digital Media Receiver w/ USB and Aux

Old 08-19-2014, 11:36 AM
whiteboyslo
Posting Guru
Any single-DIN stereo will fit in our trucks, so you're fine there. Brand and features is mostly a personal preference, but I'm a big fan of the Bluetooth in mine.

Here's the link for mine:
Amazon.com : Pioneer MVHX560BT Digital Media Receiver : Vehicle Cd Digital Music Player Receivers : Car Electronics Amazon.com : Pioneer MVHX560BT Digital Media Receiver : Vehicle Cd Digital Music Player Receivers : Car Electronics

Mike

Old 08-19-2014, 11:56 AM
TheQuackKid
New User
Gah so many options but I dont wanna spend a whole lot haha, college kid ya know, plus hunting season is coming up soon

Old 08-19-2014, 05:17 PM
Fastback460
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I would recommend getting the head unit from Crutchfield: Car Stereo, Speakers, Home Theater, LED LCD TV, Cameras They will sell you everything that you need to make it even easier.

I've installed head units and speakers that I got from them in a 99 Taurus, 93 F350, 97 F250, and two different 93 Thunderbird's without the slightest problem.