1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 F250 4x4 - NOT!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 05:18 AM
Rayil
5th Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2011 F250 4x4 - NOT!

I recently took delivery of customer ordered 2011 F250 loaded truck. This has the new 6.7 diesel and overall I think the truck is great vehicle. Here is the problem.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
<o></o>
I recently was out on my land and on stone driveway and engine oil light came on (400 miles). After further investigation I found small stick, flipped up and damaged oil filter, leaking oil everywhere. I had to get the vehicle towed to Ford, local parts stores do not yet carry the new oil filter.<o></o>
<o></o>
After further looking at this, I noticed the oil filter sticks down below the engine, not guard and no skid plate, no protection at all. I was astounded, that for 50K+ I have a 4x4 with a oil filter not protected.<o></o>
<o></o>
I asked at dealer if I could buy a protection plate and was told no.<o></o>
<o></o>
If this is true - than this is NOT a 4x4 vehicle and I am one pissed off customer. If this is not true, can someone help me?<o></o>

Old 08-25-2010, 05:42 AM
Mike F250 SD
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All I can say is wow.. Stealerships at there best

Old 08-25-2010, 05:47 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
You will have to fab something is my suggestion. I also have a concern about the oil pan and drain plug on the 6.7.

Maybe you could fab a 1/8" plate to cover the area. Make it a bolt on so you could remove just like the skid plates.

Old 08-25-2010, 06:16 AM
Rayil
5th Wheeling
fab

Yea, I know but for 50K I think Ford should get the act together and find a fix for this. I can't beleive the call this a 4x4 when oil filter stickout in the wind with no protection

Old 08-25-2010, 07:46 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by Rayil
I can't beleive the call this a 4x4 when oil filter stickout in the wind with no protection
It's called a 4x4 because the engine is capable of supplying power to all 4 wheels. My wife's CR-V is called "4x4" on the window sticker.

I have to admit that I'd be pretty upset if this happened to me, but put this in perspective. Have you ever seen a vehicle with every single underside component protected from the factory? Heck, there are all kinds of spots that could be damaged by objects off-road on every truck I've ever seen.

If it weren't the oil filter it may have been the oil pan, transmission pan, radiator hoses, etc. That stick poked through a METAL oil filter; this could have happened to any number of components.

How long did you run with low oil pressure? Is your engine okay?

Old 08-25-2010, 07:52 AM
Rayil
5th Wheeling
Cool 4x4 NOT!

I understand all this. Most 4x4 come with skid plates to protect most engine parts that could be struck by dirt, mud, bottom-out, etc. I figured ordering the snow package I would have this. Well no, so I even said well this is dump, please order me skid plates. Ford says there are none.

I have to totally dis-agree with you, a 4x4 should sustain some off road use and be protected, not have a very thin oil filter sticking down below the engine without any protection. This is just a stupid design, and complete failure on part of ford.

The engine light came on and shut it off, no damage.

The oil filter is not like the old ones, it's the same as on any car, think metal that a pen could poke through.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:19 AM
DavidB
Elder User
Old 08-25-2010, 08:29 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
I understand all this. Most 4x4 come with skid plates to protect most engine parts that could be struck by dirt, mud, bottom-out, etc. I figured ordering the snow package I would have this. Well no, so I even said well this is dump, please order me skid plates. Ford says there are none.

I have to totally dis-agree with you, a 4x4 should sustain some off road use and be protected, not have a very thin oil filter sticking down below the engine without any protection. This is just a stupid design, and complete failure on part of ford.

The engine light came on and shut it off, no damage.

The oil filter is not like the old ones, it's the same as on any car, think metal that a pen could poke through.
Fx4 models come with the skid plates. Do what I did. I ordered a set from Ed @ www.partsguyed.com.

Put them on myself.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:41 AM
Rayil
5th Wheeling
No 2011 listed?

Old 08-25-2010, 08:43 AM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Fords skid plates only protect the gas tank and the transfer case, nothing else.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:22 AM
Ace!
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So your four wheel drive quit working when the oil filter was damaged? That's crazy. I wouldn't buy a new truck if the four wheel drive system were related to the oil filter. Can you return it and get a Subaru or something?

Old 08-25-2010, 09:28 AM
Franko72
Molon Labe
Originally Posted by Ace!
So your four wheel drive quit working when the oil filter was damaged? That's crazy. I wouldn't buy a new truck if the four wheel drive system were related to the oil filter. Can you return it and get a Subaru or something?
Your kidding right.....

Old 08-25-2010, 09:33 AM
rickf92592
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, it should be protected but its not and you're not going to get Ford to do anything about it.
Option 1: Look into a remote filter adapter. There's probably not a kit but all the parts exist and a clever shop can put one together.
Option 2: Go to a PROPER off-road fab shop (one that builds race cars) and see if you can get them to fab something for you.
Hint: Sell them on the idea of producing a kit for the new trucks and you might get yours for free.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:53 AM
Ace!
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Franko72
Your kidding right.....
Yeah, I was kidding. Kind of like these must be jokes, "I figured ordering the snow package I would have this. (skid plates)" and "If this is true - than this is NOT a 4x4 vehicle...(a oil filter not protected)". I've seen a couple posts recently from consumers that are pissed at Ford or the dealership (or anyone but themselves) because of their own lack of research and planning.

OP, come on, if you wanted a "real" 4x4 for offroad you should have looked at this stuff. Tell me you looked at the air intake so you know how deep of water you can go through, or the breather lines on the differentials, transmission, etc before you bought your truck. You checked all the electrical "boxes" too right to make sure you knew where they were, waterproofed them too? You have a skid plate on your gas tank and transmission/transfer case, right? You had a place install lockers front and rear too, and put on more aggressive tires too. Or if you didn't do all of this and more it's Ford's fault, or the dealership, or even maybe my fault because I read about it online...but not your fault, right?

So Franko, yeah, I was joking, being sarcastic, facetious, something. I can't believe someone is so upset that they don't have a 4x4 (is that somehow a subjective term...or do they really have a 4x4) because their oil filter is in the wrong place (again subjective, because an engineer put it where it goes and the consumer doesn't get to pick a spot and have Ford design it that way).

Old 08-25-2010, 10:12 AM
Franko72
Molon Labe
Originally Posted by Ace!
Yeah, I was kidding. Kind of like these must be jokes, "I figured ordering the snow package I would have this. (skid plates)" and "If this is true - than this is NOT a 4x4 vehicle...(a oil filter not protected)". I've seen a couple posts recently from consumers that are pissed at Ford or the dealership (or anyone but themselves) because of their own lack of research and planning.

OP, come on, if you wanted a "real" 4x4 for offroad you should have looked at this stuff. Tell me you looked at the air intake so you know how deep of water you can go through, or the breather lines on the differentials, transmission, etc before you bought your truck. You checked all the electrical "boxes" too right to make sure you knew where they were, waterproofed them too? You have a skid plate on your gas tank and transmission/transfer case, right? You had a place install lockers front and rear too, and put on more aggressive tires too. Or if you didn't do all of this and more it's Ford's fault, or the dealership, or even maybe my fault because I read about it online...but not your fault, right?

So Franko, yeah, I was joking, being sarcastic, facetious, something. I can't believe someone is so upset that they don't have a 4x4 (is that somehow a subjective term...or do they really have a 4x4) because their oil filter is in the wrong place (again subjective, because an engineer put it where it goes and the consumer doesn't get to pick a spot and have Ford design it that way).
OK, Just making sure. I was starting to worry about you.

Quick Reply: 2011 F250 4x4 - NOT!