Sponsored by: DP Tuner

99 7.3 psd will not start without a shot of starter fluid

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 03:29 PM
jwiseman
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 7.3 psd will not start without a shot of starter fluid

ok i have a 99 7.3l turbo diesel and i have recently been having alot of trouble getting it started. i know that starter fluid is bad for diesel so before everyone tells me..i already know..i have checked the hpop..not the problem, gpr, not the problem, glowplugs...not the problem. i know i have a slight fuel leak from the check valve that drains the water from the fuel..could it just be low fuel pressure? but when i shoot it with starting fluid or wd-40 it starts right up and runs perfect. o..and the check engine light randomly pops on only while im driving tho and especially when i punch the pedal...please helppp!!

Old 08-23-2010, 03:31 PM
onelionhunter
Laughing Gas

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Codes

If the CEL comes on, you should have some codes stored. Know anyone with Auto Engenuity or a code reader that can pull your codes? that should be a good starting point.

Old 08-23-2010, 03:38 PM
jwiseman
New User
i know a guy with a snap on code reader the really good one but he wont help me out...a normal code reader like the ones at autozone wont pull up anything

Last edited by megawatt00; 08-25-2010 at 06:25 AM. Reason: remove profanity
Old 08-23-2010, 03:39 PM
onelionhunter
Laughing Gas

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Reader

Yeah, teh cheap code readers can't handle our trucks. Where are you located, might be a member near by that could read your codes?

Old 08-23-2010, 03:39 PM
mongo75
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like your HPOP reservoir is leaking back into the crankcase. I believe the standpipe that regulates the height of oil in the res has an o ring at it's base, and once that starts leaking, over the period of a few hours your oil will drain back causing excessive cranking times for the lo press oil pump to build the supply back up. I'm guessing that once you shut it down, it'll start right back up right? Not sure how much you know about hte 7.3's but the injectors are oil press fired, which is why with no oil, no start. It's not the best design, but it's better in that you CAN'T blow the engine from losing oil pressure like yo ucan with just about any other engine in the world.

Old 08-23-2010, 03:40 PM
mongo75
Postmaster
BTW- welcome to FTE!! Stick around a while and you'll go faster (probably due to a lighter wallet LOL)

Old 08-23-2010, 03:44 PM
jwiseman
New User
no after i shut it down no matter if its hot or not it will not start at all without a shot of starter fluid. i even checked the oil level in the hpop, it was about an inch from the top, i recapped it and cranked it for about 15-25 seconds and then checked the oil level and it was still exactly the same...i let it sit for a few hours and checked it again...still the same level

Old 08-23-2010, 03:45 PM
jwiseman
New User
BTW i live near akron ohio in a little town called lodi

Old 08-23-2010, 04:31 PM
tdpower
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is a good "No Start" trouble shooting guide.
__________________________________________________ _____________________________

Originally posted by Dave (Golfer) on PSN 01-20-2010 Thanks Dave

its nevvvvver the oil pump...seriously.

I see sooooooooooooooo many guys (dealerships included) that see "no ICP" or some ICP codes in a scantool...and toss HPOP's on truck after truck...when it is either an IPR or an injector (poppet valve) issue.

If you hook up the scantool, and monitor ICP (psi) while cranking...you'll see IPR% (duty cycle) climb & climb 15% key on..20, 30, 40, 55%, higher..the increase in IPR% means that the PCM is requesting ICP pressure to increase...

so ALSO watch ICP(psi) and if it comes up to only 180-250psi or so and stays there...then it's the IPR hung open (bypassing oil back to the oil pan through the front cover) such that only minimal psi can be made.

If the ICP is VERY low...like under 60psi...then it could be injector (poppets) pissing oil (under the VC's)..which is typical for injector with more than 180-200k miles.

if ICP climbs above 550-600..then it will probably climb much higher (15-1800+) and it is most likely going to be an electrical issue.

If his scantool will not connect then its a PCM or chip issue (remove the chip if you have one & haven't removed it yet)

if the scantool connects AND you have >600ICP then look at the datastream for a RPM reading.

if the scantool picks up an RPM signal and it seems accurate....then the CPS is good.

If no RPM on the scantool, replace CPS.

If you have RPM (on scantool, not just on dash)...AND have ICP >600, then run an (key on, eng off) injector "buzz test"...

the buzz test is nothing more than a continuity test from the PCM, through the IDM, and to & from each injector solenoid.

LISTEN to each inj buzz....do they all sound the same? nice & crisp?

if the test passes (and you audibly heard them all)...then wiring is good, IDM is good, HPOP is good...CPS is good...then it could be a fuel issue. gasoline, water, etc...

I wouldn't mention it if I haven't seen it myself numerous times...

any chance this no start began with 10-20miles after a fillup?

holler if you need help troubleshooting. take care~ Dave
__________________________________________________ ______________________

Hears some good info also:

7.3L Powerstroke Starting Requirements:
Battery voltage a minimum of 10.5 volts while cranking
RPM at least 100 while cranking. If no tach movement suspect CPS
If you have a scan tool ICP should be 500 PSI ± 25 PSI and fuel
pulse width should be 1 to 6 milliseconds.

The above requirements assume the following:

Correct oil level, oil type and pressure
Correct type of fuel
Correct fuel pressure (53 PSI per Ford spec)
Sufficient air supply (clean air filter & unobstructed intake)
Proper oil level in HPOP reservoir (1 to ¾ inch from top)
Proper glow plug relay and glow plug operation (in cold weather)
Proper injection timing (PCM controlled)

Old 08-25-2010, 01:18 AM
jwiseman
New User
the truck has been hard to start ever since i bought it, it used to only have a problem starting when the engine was completely cooled down. i think it started dooing THIS shortley after i changed the oil actually...which was maybe a month after i changed the glow plugs...i know that i have the correct oil and correct amount in it, so i dont really think that has anything to do with this though. if it were an injector wouldnt i notice it while i was driving?when i crank it over the RPMs are at around 200..its getting fuel, and the battery is giving it plenty of juice. could a clogged catalityc converter be the problem? could something have happened when i changed the glow plugs??

Old 08-25-2010, 07:00 AM
hammer65
Posting Guru
"THIS shortley after i changed the oil actually...which was maybe a month after i changed the glow plugs.."

I would have to go through the glow plug circuitry again.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:26 AM
megawatt00
Hotshot
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When it is running, how does it run? Rough? smooth? Is your WTS light coming on? How long have you been starting it with starting fluid? Is there any smoke coming from the tail pipe when you crank it over?

Old 08-25-2010, 09:05 AM
1996pwrstrk
Cargo Master
Before you go any further you need to get those codes read.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:47 AM
megawatt00
Hotshot
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 1996pwrstrk
Before you go any further you need to get those codes read.
I agree Dave with out it all we can do is guess............

Old 08-25-2010, 10:58 AM
rad1026
Elder User
I'm sure I read here at some time that it was not a good idea to use starter fluid in a diesel.

Quick Reply: 99 7.3 psd will not start without a shot of starter fluid