2011 Super Duty tranny problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 09:44 AM
RaceTec
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by countrycars70
Try this test....when the transmission is hot just before you stop in drive shift to netural and give it a little gas and see if it jearks....that is how mine acted before it failed...also pay attention to reverse and see if it feels like it is binding...
Now that you mention it I have had it bind when putting it into reverse! Damn, all of these symptoms sound more like mechanical failure than a programming issue to me. Sounds as if there are clutch packs or a sprag binding... I have not been in the transmission industry in more than ten years but this sounds like a typical mechanical failure. Slightly off topic, and I will search for other threads, but anyone have any lifter type noise at all? I am getting nervous now!!!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>

Old 11-17-2010, 05:38 PM
Ricohman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RaceTec
Now that you mention it I have had it bind when putting it into reverse! Damn, all of these symptoms sound more like mechanical failure than a programming issue to me. Sounds as if there are clutch packs or a sprag binding... I have not been in the transmission industry in more than ten years but this sounds like a typical mechanical failure. Slightly off topic, and I will search for other threads, but anyone have any lifter type noise at all? I am getting nervous now!!!fficeffice" /><O></O>
My buddy is having this issue when going from drive to reverse. He was told that he was probably creeping the truck while not holding enough brake pressure?
We are going for a ride on Saturday as I want to feel this in person. I would lose my mind if a service writer told me that.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:57 PM
countrycars70
New User
Truck is fixed !

Today I received a call from my dealerships service dept. telling me my truck was fixed....They told me they would deliver the truck to me 80 mile round trip....They did install a new transmission and told me the foward clutch as well as the overdrive clutch was badley scored.....also had a bearing and thrust washer that was bad.....they didnt have a clue as to why......This truck shifts better than it ever has since I have owned it. My guess is the up shifts at high rpm in the mountains with the trailer is what got it....only time will tell ! GOOD JOB FORD.... Keep ya posted.

Old 11-20-2010, 01:33 PM
socapots
Senior User
Originally Posted by countrycars70
Today I received a call from my dealerships service dept. telling me my truck was fixed....They told me they would deliver the truck to me 80 mile round trip....They did install a new transmission and told me the foward clutch as well as the overdrive clutch was badley scored.....also had a bearing and thrust washer that was bad.....they didnt have a clue as to why......This truck shifts better than it ever has since I have owned it. My guess is the up shifts at high rpm in the mountains with the trailer is what got it....only time will tell ! GOOD JOB FORD.... Keep ya posted.
Good to hear you got it done up right man. nice that they drove it out to you as well. not alot of places will do that.

Old 11-24-2010, 12:40 AM
mar66tin
New User
for all truck built before 1 september, new pcm update a available to fix some tranny and engine probleme. and now from last week, all part are available to tranny repair.
i need to go to dealer for mine, sometime, my tranny try to start in 3 or 5 gear at light .. and when i move 2-300 ft,it's downshift in first . and sometime when it's shift from 1 to 2 it's make neutral for 1 second rpm go up to 3-4000.
next monday, i return to dealer to fix that, and other probleme like cab bushing knock (recall) driver windows make noise (wind) over 30mph and exaust sound on left side, like maniflod .... i got 1000 miles on my f250 (6.2)

Old 11-24-2010, 05:19 AM
eticket
Cross-Country
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by mar66tin
for all truck built before 1 september, new pcm update a available to fix some tranny and engine probleme. and now from last week, all part are available to tranny repair.
i need to go to dealer for mine, sometime, my tranny try to start in 3 or 5 gear at light .. and when i move 2-300 ft,it's downshift in first . and sometime when it's shift from 1 to 2 it's make neutral for 1 second rpm go up to 3-4000.
next monday, i return to dealer to fix that, and other probleme like cab bushing knock (recall) driver windows make noise (wind) over 30mph and exaust sound on left side, like maniflod .... i got 1000 miles on my f250 (6.2)
...TSB for cab bushing knock? Do you have the # or info?

Old 11-24-2010, 11:11 PM
mar66tin
New User
BT
10-7-3
REFERENCE
CODE

Old 11-24-2010, 11:12 PM
mar66tin
New User
Old 11-25-2010, 08:46 AM
tcrowls
New User
2011 Shifting issues

just checking in my 2011 gas is showing same shifting issues, tranny gets confused, picked it up in May have not had it back yet, only 2500 miles but i will be going back to see about updates

another thing i noticed is on 2 occassions I had to get into the trottle and got no trottle response at all, as i pushed pedal further and further nothing then all of a sudden a down shift and acceleration? not a good feeling

otherwise pretty happy so far, had 2000 SD 5.4 gas and 2008 5.4 gas all with good luck, also do not see much fuel economy imrovement with 2011 over the earlier ones

Tom

Old 11-25-2010, 03:47 PM
mar66tin
New User
on web site i see 15% better fuel economy with *
the * comparate with dodge 2010
my father have f150 lariat 2010 with 5.4 and me f250 2011 with 6.2 and both run at 13.5 mpg at all
I'm more rough with mine, hard acceleration and drive faster.

Old 11-26-2010, 06:05 PM
butch50
Freshman User
Man you guys are making me really nervous with these trannie problems. I'm about 10 weeks (dealer thinks) out on my new truck and now I'm seeing some having trannie problems. How come the diesel boys aren't having problems any more. I know they had some problems but it seems to have been corrected when they flashed the diesels for the 400HP/800 torque and from what I read they did change the trans software at the same time. Is it not the same transmission in both the 6.7 and the 6.2? If there were problems with the 6.7 what makes Ford think that the same problem isn't with the 6.2 trans and offer a software update for it also?

Old 11-26-2010, 08:57 PM
davidm253
New User
Hmmm?

Alright, I picked my truck up two weeks and 500 miles ago. From day one the transmission has acted goofy when shifting from 2nd to 3rd. It only acts up when the transmission is cold. 1st to 2nd is smooth but 2nd to 3rd is slow with considerable engine rev. This happens every single time the truck sits for several hours. Yesterday after leaving a family Thanksgiving feast the truck had only sat for a couple of hours and it shifted 1st, 2nd, 3rd and then had hesitation and then dropped down to 1st. This is a job 2 truck as it was built the first week of November. I guess I will call my dealer who is two hours away on Monday and see what they have to say. I had saw somewhere that this was a progressive tune transmission and thought it might smooth up the more I drove it but that is definatly not happening. Other than this issue I LOVE this truck. I went from a 1996 F-250 with a 460 to this beast. What a differance 14 years can make, lol!! People flock around this thing when we are out and about to check it out.

Old 12-03-2010, 06:45 PM
davidm253
New User
Update

I talked to my dealer this week and he had the service manager call me. He said there is a TSB for a reflash available for 6.2's built before November 1st. This is to correct rough shifting between 1st and 2nd gear. He told me to keep driving my truck since it just had 600 miles on it just to see if it smooths out any. It seems to be shifting a little smoother now but is still not right. He said if I want to bring it in he will clear the computer because it is hard for it to forget bad habits. We will see what happens I guess. Still loving the truck!!

Old 12-03-2010, 09:24 PM
Beach_Bob
Senior User
Originally Posted by davidm253
I talked to my dealer this week and he had the service manager call me. He said there is a TSB for a reflash available for 6.2's built before November 1st. This is to correct rough shifting between 1st and 2nd gear. He told me to keep driving my truck since it just had 600 miles on it just to see if it smooths out any. It seems to be shifting a little smoother now but is still not right. He said if I want to bring it in he will clear the computer because it is hard for it to forget bad habits. We will see what happens I guess. Still loving the truck!!
Thanks for the update. I'm going to have to get mine back to the dealer for the reflash.

Old 12-06-2010, 12:30 PM
RaceTec
Freshman User
I am very disappointed in the Sync Vehicle Health report also... I had my worst transmission issue while driving home Friday. I then ran a vehicle heath report while still driving home... Got the report, it says there is nothing wrong? I love my truck but was so pissed off with the last freewheeling transmission problem I feel like flooring it and blowing it up! I have had a ton of issues with my transmission now and will be dropping it off to the dealer tomorrow night. I hope they don’t give me a run around and just replace the thing!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>

Quick Reply: 2011 Super Duty tranny problems