1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Got a recall in the mail the other day...should i get it done?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 04:30 PM
deemac
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got a recall in the mail the other day...should i get it done?

So i got a recall in the mail the other day for some "Speed Control System Modification" number "09S09".
My question is, should i take my truck in and get it done or just leave it? I dont have alot of confidence in some of those mechanics out there. What is this system anyways? Is it for cruise or...?

Old 08-21-2010, 05:17 PM
merccougar93
Senior User
Sure, it dont cost you a dime, why not, the ford dealerships are usually pretty good at fixing a known problem, but when it comes to finding one, sometimes, its like askin me to do calculus, i can only take a wild stab in the dark, and hope that i come close(when it comes to the diesels anyway)

Old 08-21-2010, 05:44 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
If you don't get it done the truck can start itself on fire. It doesn't matter if the key is on or not. It's a 2 minute repair.

Old 08-21-2010, 05:58 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
If you don't get it done the truck can start itself on fire. It doesn't matter if the key is on or not. It's a 2 minute repair.

Have you heard about this happening on any diesels Mark? We've all seen pictures of the gas motors that caught on fire, but I don't recall ever hearing about a diesel.

Old 08-21-2010, 06:01 PM
Mark250
More Turbo
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Yes you should get it done because of the fire hazard. The service manager at my dealer said several months ago when I called for an appointment: "come on in at lunchtime & we can do it then" So I showed up on my lunch hour & guess what - no service techs around. So the SM said he would go ahead & do the recall & I pulled the truck in by the service desk. After watching him hunt for a couple of minutes, I had to show him where the harness was!

Anyway, if your tech knows where the harness is, it will only take a couple of minutes...

Old 08-21-2010, 06:02 PM
merccougar93
Senior User
Electrical fires dont care what kind of fuel it uses, not tryin to sound like a smarta$$, but a short can happen at anytime with the battery connected if theres a problem

Old 08-21-2010, 06:07 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by merccougar93
Electrical fires dont care what kind of fuel it uses, not tryin to sound like a smarta$$, but a short can happen at anytime with the battery connected if theres a problem
True, but when they recalled the gas motor switch several years ago Rich and a couple of others here tested their switch. The PCM for the gas motors leaves power going to the switch with the key off. From what I remember, no one found any power at the switch on our trucks. It doesn't really have anything to do with the fuel. It's the difference in our computers. The diesel PCM shuts the power off to the switch when the key is off, the gas PCM does not if I recall correctly.

Old 08-21-2010, 06:13 PM
merccougar93
Senior User
Originally Posted by F350-6
True, but when they recalled the gas motor switch several years ago Rich and a couple of others here tested their switch. The PCM for the gas motors leaves power going to the switch with the key off. From what I remember, no one found any power at the switch on our trucks. It doesn't really have anything to do with the fuel. It's the difference in our computers. The diesel PCM shuts the power off to the switch when the key is off, the gas PCM does not if I recall correctly.
ahhh, that would make sense to me now why he asked that, i was wonderin why he asked that, it didnt before, i knew nothing of the gas recall

Old 08-21-2010, 06:43 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by F350-6
Have you heard about this happening on any diesels Mark? We've all seen pictures of the gas motors that caught on fire, but I don't recall ever hearing about a diesel.
If I remember correctly Chris there was a truck that caught fire and it was one of our 7.3's. The fella came on here with pics and everything. I remember him saying he thanked god he didn't park it closer to his house like he normally does.

Originally Posted by deemac
So i got a recall in the mail the other day for some "Speed Control System Modification" number "09S09".
My question is, should i take my truck in and get it done or just leave it? I dont have alot of confidence in some of those mechanics out there. What is this system anyways? Is it for cruise or...?
I just got mine done two days ago and even started a thread on it. I was concerned too about a dealer messing with mine but I just explained I didn't want anthing else touched, reflash, OBD hookup, exct. I'm taking my wifes Expy in Monday if I can get in.

Old 08-21-2010, 08:04 PM
merccougar93
Senior User
10-4. had no idea about the gas motor issue. I guess i need to. haha

Old 08-21-2010, 09:17 PM
Fat Diesel
Logistics Pro

Received 98 Likes on 54 Posts
You joined after my brother's truck burned down so I'll hyper link you a manual. Not at all sure it burned due to any design flaw, recalled or otherwise. Just sucked.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...ches-fire.html

Old 08-22-2010, 08:14 AM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
What a bummer Andy, did your bro fix it or move on??

Old 08-22-2010, 11:07 AM
Kajtek1
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by deemac
I dont have alot of confidence in some of those mechanics out there.
Neither do I.
Few months ago I took my 1999 to Walnut Creek Ford for CC wire recall. Not only they hold me for over 1 hr on 90 seconds job, but without my authorization made 15 points check.
The results? Dropped air filter clamp destroyed the turbo and since I didn't drive the truck for few days and noticed it later, they denied any responsibility not even notifying me about the 15-points inspection till I pulled the records.
Never, ever let the truck out of your site when you go to a dealer.

Old 08-22-2010, 11:28 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 790 Likes on 602 Posts
Originally Posted by Kajtek1
Neither do I.
Few months ago I took my 1999 to Walnut Creek Ford for CC wire recall. Not only they hold me for over 1 hr on 90 seconds job, but without my authorization made 15 points check.
The results? Dropped air filter clamp destroyed the turbo and since I didn't drive the truck for few days and noticed it later, they denied any responsibility not even notifying me about the 15-points inspection till I pulled the records.
Never, ever let the truck out of your site when you go to a dealer.
I remembered your experience when I took mine in for that recall.
First thing I did was pop the hood for an inspection.
Fortunately for me there was nothing amiss.

Old 08-22-2010, 02:20 PM
Fat Diesel
Logistics Pro

Received 98 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by big poppa
What a bummer Andy, did your bro fix it or move on??
Unfortunately he moved on. I think he got five grand for it.

I watched while the service guy did the recall work for my truck in the parking lot. It took him a minute or two.

Quick Reply: Got a recall in the mail the other day...should i get it done?