cam gear? newbie needs help - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

cam gear? newbie needs help

Old 09-04-2010, 10:02 PM
Postmaster

F-250 restorer has a good reputation on FTE.F-250 restorer has a good reputation on FTE.F-250 restorer has a good reputation on FTE.
Well s..t! If I had known you were going to post that, I wouldn't have wasted all my time posting my how-to.

I think I'll just post a third, more detailed how-to to really confuse the guy!!
Old 09-04-2010, 10:09 PM
New User

kc8yhk is starting off with a positive reputation.
wow guys! THANK YOU! your write up's will really help me along! Who knows how many other people it will help if/when this turns up in a search.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:08 PM
Super Moderator

Ford_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputation
Just make sure not to set the press behind the plate, it will break. I think just about everyone who has changed a timing gear set has broken at least one plate.......
Old 09-04-2010, 11:58 PM
Posting Guru

86sixbanger is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'll save you a world of hurt......Get a bolt on type puller and run some coarse thread lag bolts through the puller and drill them right in to that fiber gear. Worked for me after breaking a bunch of chunks off of that gear trying to pull it off. I didn't have to pull the cam out....
Old 09-08-2010, 08:11 PM
New User

Well guys I figured I would give you all an update. I have a pile of parts on the floor of the garage and the cam is hanging half way out. I am back out on the road for 2 weeks so I will have to finish it up when I get back.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:24 PM
Postmaster

F-250 restorer has a good reputation on FTE.F-250 restorer has a good reputation on FTE.F-250 restorer has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc8yhk View Post
Well guys I figured I would give you all an update. I have a pile of parts on the floor of the garage and the cam is hanging half way out. I am back out on the road for 2 weeks so I will have to finish it up when I get back.
There's never going to be a better time to do yank the engine and rebuild it, or just install a nice Comp Cams 260 and kit, c. bearings, port the head, roll in new bearings, new oil pump.

Sorry to tell you how to spend your $.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:27 PM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-250 restorer View Post
There's never going to be a better time to do yank the engine and rebuild it, or just install a nice Comp Cams 260 and kit, c. bearings, port the head, roll in new bearings, new oil pump.

Sorry to tell you how to spend your $.

haha actually I have considered it, can these engines be bored out at all for any decent gains?
Old 09-08-2010, 08:33 PM
Postmaster

Quote:
haha actually I have considered it, can these engines be bored out at all for any decent gains?
Yes, they can be bored, but the real gain in hp would come from mainly porting the head, helping the engine to breathe. Add to that, a cam, to open the valves a bit more to allow in more mix, 4v carb, intake manifold, a bit higher compression, improved exhaust (breathing again), and upgraded ignition, and you will be amazed at the difference.

Unless, of course, you have an EFI engine. Then you'd have to rethink any hp stuff.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:40 PM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-250 restorer View Post
Yes, they can be bored, but the real gain in hp would come from mainly porting the head, helping the engine to breathe. Add to that, a cam, to open the valves a bit more to allow in more mix, 4v carb, intake manifold, a bit higher compression, improved exhaust (breathing again), and upgraded ignition, and you will be amazed at the difference.

Unless, of course, you have an EFI engine. Then you'd have to rethink any hp stuff.
Yes its an EFI engine. This truck is a dog (last time it was running) To be honest I don't know what the stock hp/tq ratings even are. It is 2 wheel drive reg cab short bed with a 5speed and 2.73 rear end, yes it really is 2.73 I double and triple checked the axle code.

I am thinking about pulling the engine shortly after its running and installing a new powerplant and using the 300 for another project. But I need to find out how much the 300 weighs, ect. Correct me if I am wrong but I think its hard to find a cam that is compatible with the computer.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:56 AM
Postmaster

You should be on the forum for that year truck to find out about hp improvements. You would find the 300 quite peppy with the right rear end. Most of the guys say the 3.50 ratio is the way to go with a 4.9.

The Isky 256 cam is c. compatible, as are several others. You have to go to the co's sites and read about them.
Old 09-18-2010, 10:09 AM
New User

Figured I would post an update.

I got home from being on the road and got the cam all the way out. Took the cam into town to a shop to get the old gear pressed off and the new one pressed on, When I showed the guys the cam they said "well we can't promise you that the thrust plate won't break when we do this, do you still want us to try?" I said yes to go ahead..

Sure enough the thrust plate shattered (grrr). They gave me back the cam and didn't charge me because they broke the plate. I couldn't find a new thrust plate ANYWHERE except a junk yard but I wasn't about to pull ANOTHER cam out myself just for the plate so I went by the ford stealer and ordered one for $30. It should be here Tuesday but I will be back out on the road again for another 2 weeks before I can put this thing all back together.

It feels like I'm never going to get this thing done!

Thanks for all your help so far guys!
Old 11-10-2010, 03:20 PM

AbandonedBronco has a great reputation on FTE.AbandonedBronco has a great reputation on FTE.AbandonedBronco has a great reputation on FTE.AbandonedBronco has a great reputation on FTE.AbandonedBronco has a great reputation on FTE.AbandonedBronco has a great reputation on FTE.
Just stumbled upon this thread doing a search for cam install information. The writeup on how to remove and reinstall the cam was great. I've had a very difficult time tracking down information on which way the cam spacer goes on (even my original 81 Ford shop engine manual doesn't say).

Ford 6 cylinder inline engines Cylinder head bolts / fasteners

For anyone who needs it, that site has the thrust plate, and a kit that includes the cam key, spacer, and new thrust plate bolts.

I figured I'd forgo the whole frustration with the fiber gear and just bought everything new since I was putting a new cam in anyway. Put a new spacer, thrust plate, and timing gear on my new cam. Take the old one out and chuck it all in once piece.

Ever get your project finished kc8yhk?
Old 11-10-2010, 08:45 PM
Postmaster

AB!!! If you're replacing the t.gears, buy either Cloyes or Comp Cams gears. I went another brand and tear apart the front of a new engine because they knocked. It scared the crap out of me. I hope it doesn't happen to you. A little extra $ is well worth it.

You owe me a cold one.
Old 11-11-2010, 03:33 PM

AbandonedBronco has a great reputation on FTE.AbandonedBronco has a great reputation on FTE.AbandonedBronco has a great reputation on FTE.AbandonedBronco has a great reputation on FTE.AbandonedBronco has a great reputation on FTE.AbandonedBronco has a great reputation on FTE.
Heh, no worries. I have a new set of Comp timing gears sitting in my garage. I figured if I'm going to do the work, I want quality!

Definitely owe you a cold one anyway! Planning on trying my hand at making it this winter as is.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:48 AM
New User

ww0au is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ford newbie cam gear removal

Quote:
Ok so I picked up a dirt cheap 1994 F-150 sport with a dead inline 6 300 (174k miles). I trust the guy I bought it from, he says the cam gear is shot.

While I know how to turn a wrench, this engine is new to me. I own a couple dodge/cummins and can do about anything I want on those. I just don't know how hard of a job it is to change a cam gear on this 300.

I would appreciate any help you guys can offer me. If its more work than its worth I might just drop in a 12 valve cummins I got sitting around for fun
kc8yhk. You do not need to pull the cam from the engine. To much work. To get the gear off. You will need a 3 arm puller(gear). It will probably break the gear into pieces. If it`s a composite gear. You will be left with a metal sleave aroung the end of the cam. Try pulling this off. It that don`t work loosen the thrust plate and grab that. It will probably break but, you will have plenty of metal on the sleave to grab with the puller and remove it. The new gear can be pressed on with a 7/16 inch bolt,nut and washer.