Oil & Lubrication  

Havoline

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 10:18 PM
jagabom
Tuned
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Havoline

In the last few months Havoline changed their oil container. The container now says that it contains Deposit Shield. Anyone know what that means?

Jim
77 F150
CYWG

Old 08-19-2010, 09:04 AM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
The Deposit Shield recipe has been in Havoline since early 07.
Maybe it now has Chevron/Oronites new GF-5/SN OLOA 55501 ad pack in it ????

I noticed the 5qt jug at WallyWorld had increased some in price the last time I was in there, a month or so ago.

It has been speculated that the new GF-5/SN will require a GP-3, or maybe a GP-2+/3 blend base oil & a better ad pack to meet the new spec, so some price increase is to be expected.

The first licensing under the new spec is set to begin Oct 2010, but blenders have been permitted to market their new recipe under their GF-4/SM license, since early this year & several jumped on that band waggon early on & I'm thinking Ultra & Edge.

GM's Dexos-1 spec is said to be a little tighter still & will likely require all GP-3 base stocks to meet it's specs, so some have re-formulated to meet GF-5/SN & Dexos.

Will be interesting to see how it all shakes out & who knows where Havoline will be positioned in all of this, as
their new GF-5/SN OLOA 55501 ad pack doesn't state if it also meets the GM Dexos spec or not!!!!

Old 08-31-2010, 12:27 PM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It is looking like Dexos I will be full synthetic and priced accordingly. I dont see the Havoline brand much anymore out here. O'rilley has a few cases on the floor, but no regular shelf space. Chevron is regular stock there and at PepBoys.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:09 AM
Ed
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Same thing here in the Sacramento, CA area as well, Jim. Great post Paw Paw, I enjoyed reading your thoughts on this subject. I can't help but wonder if the current Havoline and Chevron Supreme oils is one in the same?... In other words, I don't see where one of them would actually be the better product? Seems with both oils having a long and storied legacy (prior to the Chevron - Texaco merger) I don't think one oil would be superior over the other? Pure speculation on my part. Probably the same scenerio played out with Mobil motor oil & Exxon Super-Flo as well as the Shell - Pennzoil - Quaker State motor oil(s)...

Old 09-14-2010, 09:05 AM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
Chevron has been trying to align its merged brands, Gulf, Texaco, Havoline, etc. without the success I would have hoped. Gulf ended up licensed to American Refining for a NE regional market only. Originally I was told by a Chevron marketing person that Chevron would be the fuels brand and Havoline the PCMO brand, dropping the others. Only in industrial lubricants has there been a clean break, with Texaco out. Aviation fuels are divided up by region, while gasoline and diesel is a mixed bag, with overlap in some regions and Chevron OR Texaco in others. Internationally, Caltex and Delo are strong brands, mostly unchanged.

Old 09-15-2010, 08:02 AM
pawpaw
Chevron & Texaco PCMO's are still on the store shelves here, in SW Va, in about the same quantity as over the past few years, but Mobil, Pennzoil, Valvolene, Texaco/Chevron, in about that order, are the most stocked.

Ed, there was a discussion over on Bob is the oil guy a few years ago, on whether Chevron Supreme & Havoline were the same recipe or not & at one time VOA's were showing that Havoline was carrying more Mo & someone said Chevron was saying then that Havoline was being marketed as their "premium" brand of the two, what ever that meant.

But since GF-4/SM I'm not so sure there is a difference, or that much difference anymore, as their CBEST PDS data sheets sure looked iike they were the same, or close.

Of course the PDS & an inexpensive VOA don't show All things in a motor oils recipe, but the UOA's for both Havoline & Chevron products have always turned up very low engine wear numbers & both products have earned a lot of respect for being two of the best & most consistant performing Dino lubes on the market & both are considered to be a good bang for the buck.

I don't know whats going on with Chevron/Texaco corporate wise, but I sure don't have a good feeling in my gut for their corporate health, as there seems to be so many contradictions in what they are saying on the one hand & what seems to be happening in the market place on the other!!!!

For instance Chevron/Texaco recently pulled their gasoline distribution out of 12-13 eastern states, saying in Lube Report they were retreating to states where their distributation system was more efficient & they were the strongest, yet I keep hearing from others that live in those reagions, that their products are no longer stocked, or barely stocked in stores & that there are fewer stations around selling their fuel!!!!????

I'd sure hate to see them evaporate away, as they do & have always marketed, consistant quality goods, second to none, but right now I sure don't have a warm fuzzy feeling in my gut, for their corporate health!!!!

I still seek out & use Havoline, as I have for the past 60 years, but now I'm forced by marketing circumstances, to begin again to test & look for the best mpg & performing fuels for my vehicles, as I did in the late 90's & right now I'm beginning with the locally available Top Tier gas brands!!!!

Will be interesting to see how all this shakes out over time.

Old 09-15-2010, 05:39 PM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
As a Chevron stockholder, I have no worries about corporate health, its just that the refining and marketing part that is most visible is not the most profitable. BTW the Texaco name was taken out of the corporate identity at the time Unocal was bought. The 76 brand (refining and marketing) went to ConocoPhillips while Chevron took the production (oil in the ground) part.

Texaco and Havoline were a bit "in limbo" before the Chevron merger. Aramco, Shell and Texaco shared refining and marketing business joint venture called Equilon. In Los Angeles, the Texaco refinery became Equilon and now Shell. The Texaco stations became Shell, not Chevron. There are Texaco stations in central California, but those would be served by terminals at the end of pipelines, not trucked directly from the refinery in the SF Bay area.

Shell has managed its post-merger brands better, as you dont want to screw up Pennzoil, the #1 selling brand of PCMO or Rotella, the #1 selling brand of HDMO. Shell has 24% of the US automotive lubricant market, followed by Valvoline and BP (Castrol) at 13% each. ExxonMobil, Chevron and ConocoPhillips are all in single digits.

Old 11-05-2010, 09:28 AM
pawpaw
Well it looks like Chevron has finally confirmed in Lube Report, what jimandmandy has been telling us for some time about Havoline & Chevron killing off the Texaco name.
Chevron Embraces Havoline Brand

I notice that they've finally updated their website to state that Havoline & Chevron Supreme motor oils are now API SN.

I can't open their new SN motor oil PDS, pdf file for some reason, to see whats changed.

Haven't seen any VOA's over on bobistheoilguy either, so who knows if Havoline, or Chevron Supreme are the same recipe now or not?????

I Can open the new Multivehicle tranny fluid PDS, pdf file & there is a Big difference between their Havoline Multivehicle & Chevron MerconV tranny fluid specs, when you look at VI, pour & flash points.

They reciently changed the Havoline Multivehicle tranny fluid recipe & it now has a better/lower pour point, at -63F, verses -49 for the licensed Mercon V Chevron flavor, but a much lower VI at 169, verses the Chevron at 191.

The Havoline unlicensed recipe has a better Flash Point, at 389F, verses Chevron 352F.

The Havoline Multivehicle recipe is no longer licensed to meet the Mercon V spec, but the Chevron recipe IS licensed for Mercon V.

Their tranny fluid recipes are now different, so I wonder if that carries over into the motor oil recipe as well????
Maybe someone that can open the new PDS can have a look at say, VI, pour & flash points & we'd likely know if they have the same Base Oils at least????

Just from trying to read between the lines in the Lube Report article, I get the feeling that Havoline & Supreme motor oils are now the same recipe????

Old 11-06-2010, 06:32 AM
Ed
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

Good post / information, Paw Paw. Ed

Old 11-06-2010, 08:02 AM
pawpaw
Well the Daughter was able to open & print the new Chevron Supreme & Havoline motor oil PDS files, that my MSN TV-2 player wouldn't open.

The only difference showing up between Chevron Supreme & Chevron Havoline motor oil flavors, is that Havoline now has .004%/weight of Magnesium & thus a little higher Base Number.

Supreme base numbers run from 7.7-7.8, Havoline runs from 7.8-8.0, depending on viscosity.

Otherwise all of the other numbers are the same. This from the Supreme 12-March-2010 & Havoline 22-March-2010 PDS.

So from the PDS it seems that both recipies are now very close & both seem to be using the same Base Oil.
If we can't get one, just reach for the other & sleep well. lol

Another observation, the above two PDS sheets were accessed from the Supreme & Havoline web pages, on which, Both flavors of motor oil were stated to meet SN, BUT when one opens the pdf PDS file, it says both meet SM, no mention that they've apparently been upgraded to SN, & it seems they were upgraded way back in March!!!! Of course they couldn't say SN then, as it's roll out wasn't to happen until Oct-1- 2010, but you'd think they'ed have updated the PDS file by now!!!!????

I've noticed that WallyWorld increased the price of Havoline back in the summer, maybe around the June/July time frame & it's the same price here now, as SN/GF-5 PYB, ect, at about $14/5qt jug, but the Supreme & Havoline contianers Still say API SM/GF-4!!!!

So watch/read the specs on the containers of the brand of motor oil your buying for the winter change over, so your getting what you pay for!!!!

Old 11-06-2010, 04:23 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
I can't find havoline or chevron around here at any store. The bulk lubricants place wants big money for all of it.

Old 11-09-2010, 10:59 AM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
MIKE,

You must not be in Brentwood anymore. Pepboys and Orielly in the LA area both carry plenty of Chevron Supreme at very good prices.

Old 11-09-2010, 02:10 PM
pawpaw
jimandmandy, would be intersting to know the price on qt's of Chevron Supreme, or Havoline at Oreilly or Wally World, ect, in the LA area.

In the past two years we have Oreilly's popping up everywhere here in SW Va. like toad stools!!!! lol
There are three new ones in town this year alone!!!! Good competiton for Advance Auto, which got it's start years ago in Roanoke & AutoZone, which have about 3 or 4 stores in the valley, but their prices aren't good. Maybe Oreillys will wake em ALL up!!!!

Old 11-09-2010, 05:43 PM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by pawpaw
jimandmandy, would be intersting to know the price on qt's of Chevron Supreme, or Havoline at Oreilly or Wally World, ect, in the LA area.

In the past two years we have Oreilly's popping up everywhere here in SW Va. like toad stools!!!! lol
There are three new ones in town this year alone!!!! Good competiton for Advance Auto, which got it's start years ago in Roanoke & AutoZone, which have about 3 or 4 stores in the valley, but their prices aren't good. Maybe Oreillys will wake em ALL up!!!!
Chevron Supreme, Formula Shell and Exxon Superflo are usually the least expensive name brand motor oils in local parts stores. Autozone, Oreilly (Kragen) and Pepboys are everywhere. Regular price is about $3, sale price $2 a quart. Pennzoil, Castrol and Valvoline are the biggest sellers, usually priced over $1 more. Walmart is relatively new to California, but the pricing isnt much different. TropArctic and Motorcraft are brands they tend to carry that the other stores dont.

Old 11-10-2010, 02:30 PM
pawpaw
OK, I was in my local WallyWorld today, checking for the new SN/GF-5 recipe Havoline & only PYB in 5w-30 qt & 5qt sizes had SN/GF-5 on the containers & it was now down to $12 for the 5qt size.

Every other brand was still SM/GF-4 & the same price as the PYB SN recipe!!!!

So again Read the bottle, before reaching for your favorite brand, so you get your moneys worth!!!!

Quick Reply: Havoline