6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

What's everyone doing for 60K transmission maintence?

Old 08-18-2010, 06:43 AM
capt caper
Fleet Mechanic
Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts
What's everyone doing for 60K transmission maintence?

I'm at 60K time for trans serviceing. I am surprised no one is talking on how they do it. Lot's of posts on fuel filters. Back at the 7.3 fourm I use to see lot's of info on doing it yourself.
How much is a flush now? or can we take the lines off like I did on the 02 I had?

Old 08-18-2010, 07:44 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,400 Likes on 997 Posts
At 60K all i will be doing is the flush. You really need to go back to the dealer for this one.

Inquire before hand and make sure they have the heated flush machine. The machine needs to be able to heat the fluid so that it will flush the fluid in the Torque converter as well as all the over components.

This one is not something you can do yourself.

Old 08-18-2010, 07:58 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
just had mine done.. expected them to change the filter.. they said it looked ok, so just a flush..

mine says (20% off coupon from flmowner.com site)

Trans Flush - Labor - 66.85
Trans Flush Kit - 44.70
ATF Synthetic Fluid -104.45

Sam

Old 08-18-2010, 02:02 PM
capt caper
Fleet Mechanic
My dealer told me around $150 with filter. Another dealer told me $250. The parts guys at local Ford dealer says Mercron SP isn't made anymore and LV is being used instead. He checked the computer while I was there and repeated that LV is replaceing SP.
I checked FordParts.com For Motorcrafts LV it says " Not for use in applications where MERCON® V, MERCON® SP, Continuously Variable Chain Type Transmission Fluid, Motorcraft® Premium Automatic Transmission Fluid, FNR5 Automatic Transmission Fluid or Type F Automatic Transmission Fluid is recommended".
I may wait a bit until I find out more.

Old 08-18-2010, 03:53 PM
capt caper
Fleet Mechanic
I googled and found info on these diesel sites that LV has replaced SP. First it was used in just 09 up but now they included 2003 to 2010 after lot's of testing,etc. A tsb was sent to techs telling them this.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:03 PM
esaycho
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll second the LV replacing the SP, I work for u-haul and on all our E-450's they are saying to fill all 5r110's with LV even if it previously called for SP

Old 01-10-2013, 11:54 AM
Racecarhauler
Senior User
Just bought an '08 at 67,000mi.
Bringing this post "back from the dead"...so you can see I've been searching.

The previous owner WAS going to get me service records, then he came clean and admitted he's been using the local dealership diesel tech "under the table" - so no records, I'm kinda irked over this one. Nice guy, super nice truck...guess he had to come clean at some point.

Anyway, Mercon LV is the fluid to use, this changed a few years ago and the last service I did to my 6.0 used LV.

Here is my question, I've searched a bit but found two answers, I think...

On my 6.0 there was a toilet paper roll filter for the trans. up by the radiator, and one in the trans. that everyone says you don't change.

I have a 2008 6.4 now, if I'm buying filters, what should I buy? IS there an external filter? I found two posts that stated such, and others that talk about an internal filter.

Sorry if the obvious answer is out there, I've been looking...wanted to clarify.

Thanks!

Old 01-10-2013, 12:06 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Early job 1 have the external filter and a small internal. It is right in front of the trans.

Later builds is just a bigger internal filter only.

Old 01-10-2013, 02:03 PM
GHeTTo JOe
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so both internal and external should be replaced correct? should the external be replaced more often then the internal?

Old 01-10-2013, 02:09 PM
senix
Super Moderator
you will need to consult the owners manual to be sure of the service intervals based upon your particular tranny.

I do believe the external filter is somewhere around 30K for replacements.

Again look at the book.

Old 01-10-2013, 05:58 PM
wp6529
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
LV was back qualified to replace the previous fluids. The external filter does have a much shorter maintenance interval and is generally inferior to the later larger internal filter. Only the early builds have the external filter, so if you're lucky you don't have one.

The internal filter should be replaced at 60k along with the fluid replacement. Most dealers do not have the heated fluid exchanger and instead use your truck for the lunch run to warm it up and then do the exchange with a regular unheated machine. This will not exchange all the fluid since the thermostat will close pretty quickly as the cooler fluid hits it. If you are doing the service on time or early and the existing fluid is in good shape I think the partial exchange is probably good enough. Shoot for 50k intervals and you're probably good.

Old 01-13-2013, 10:07 PM
blue turd
Senior User
Not sure if my dealer had heated machine or not. They did a drain and fill on mine. Said internal filter looked fine and changed external filter. I bought truck used with 50k on it so don't know if previous owner changed fluid or not. I changed it at 60K.

Old 01-17-2013, 02:22 PM
SANDDEMON08
Posting Guru

I think the factory 60K service is not sufficent if you are towing alot and my opnion is base on my own oil samples and there results. Each persons use is diffrent and this is what i have come up with that works well for me and provides accetable OS results. I only post this as i fell the the owners manual provides us with a bare minimum schedule of maintance.

I have an early Job 1 build and this is my preventive maintance plan for towing a gross combo weight of around 28K to 32K 90 percent of the time. I also run the 210 tow performance tune from spartan diesel and have had ZERO issue with my trans which now has 90,000 miles on it.

I change my trans fluid every 15,000 miles which just consist of draining the pan and changeing the internal filter. I have a mag-hytec pan which holds an additional 8 quarts so is about a 16 quart change.

I have the hot trans flush done every 30,000 miles and change external filter at that time as well. If the flush is not done with a heated unit there is no point or benifet. (Few dealers have the proper equpiment to do this so it is defently worth asking at the the time of service).

Old 01-17-2013, 05:38 PM
Racecarhauler
Senior User
Yeah, I'm getting a lot of BS from the previous owner as to YES, he had the dealership keep the truck up to, "Well, er, uh, my friend at the dealership was doing all the maintenance "under the table"' - so I don't know what to believe anymore other than there's proof of an oil change at 64K so I'll change it at 69K - as for the transmission, I tow a ~10,000lb race car trailer so I won't take any chances, FULL service for the transmission.

I should've gotten the "service records" up front, rather than thinking he was a straight shooter and promising to get me all of that. All I get it hemming and hawing over it when I call and/or email now. (face palm)

I do happen to have a case of LV laying around from when I serviced my 6.0 every 30K.

Anyone need a 2003 6.0 2WD??

It's a hard sell, everyone wants 4x4.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:09 PM
Racecarhauler
Senior User
OK, so I'm reviving this thread once again...

I'm at almost 70Kmi. and just ordered $200 worth of filters from dieselfiltersonline.com (no affiliation), one of the filters being a later build (August '07) internal transmission filter. I checked underneath and could not find anything inline for an external filter, from what I understand, this is good.

I have a case of Mercon LV left over from my 6.0 days and also had an oil filter left over as well - BONUS!! I performed my first oil change at 69,XXXmi. on the 6.4, just before a ~1,000mi. trip down to Atlanta and back, 10Klb trailer in tow.

Now that I'm back I plan to do the fuel filters, drain HFCM and AT LEAST dump what I can out of the trans and do a partial fluid replacement. I am having a hard time locating a shop with a true transmission flush machine around here, although I know there has to be some...heated, now that may very well be a problem as well.

Anyway, how much fluid should I expect to come out? 5-7qts. maybe??
My goal right now is to do a minimal service, dropping what fluid drains and changing the filter as the previous owner bagged on me and wound up not providing previous service records/info. once I got the truck home. He's lucky he's 3hrs away...or he'd have a front stoop visitor.

I have a few trips to make here soon and not much time so the partial fluid replacement and filter swap will have to do. When I return I'd like to address the rear differential and transfer case - is there any good advice on servicing these units? On my 6.0 I used Amsoil 75w-90 and Ultra-Grey for the gasket, worked like a champ, sold it a few weeks ago with 161Kmi. on it, running like a champ.

This is my first 4x4 so I have little to no clue what's involved with the transfer case...is there a good aftermarket lube suggestion? ...or is factory/Motorcraft products the way to go? Same for differential??

Shoot, just realized I have a FRONT DIFFERENTIAL now as well! DUH.

I'll do some searching but thought I'd put my thoughts here, prior to searching for the other info.

If anyone from the Hampton Roads area knows of a reputable shop to refer me to with a heated transmission fluid exchange machine, I'm all ears.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What's everyone doing for 60K transmission maintence?