Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Cruise control stuck on, wouldn't turn off when stopped

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 10:56 PM
mechelement
Cargo Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise control stuck on, wouldn't turn off when stopped

My wife drove the truck to her mom's house yesterday morning and set the cruise at 43mph in 4th gear. She came up to a red light and tried to shut it off, but it wouldn't turn off. She tried the brakes and it wouldn't shut off. She finally took it out of gear, came to a complete stop and the RPMs were at 1800 just like they were when going 43mph. She tried to get it to quit doing that and finally the light turned green. As soon as she put it in gear, it quit. Of course she fails to mention this to me yesterday and I find out this evening.

Would that have anything to do with the Ford Dealership fix on the cruise control switch? Or just coincidence? It never did this before. Truck specs in sig. Thanks.

Old 08-17-2010, 11:01 PM
WA.Ranger
Postmaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mechelement
My wife drove the truck to her mom's house yesterday morning and set the cruise at 43mph in 4th gear. She came up to a red light and tried to shut it off, but it wouldn't turn off. She tried the brakes and it wouldn't shut off. She finally took it out of gear, came to a complete stop and the RPMs were at 1800 just like they were when going 43mph. She tried to get it to quit doing that and finally the light turned green. As soon as she put it in gear, it quit. Of course she fails to mention this to me yesterday and I find out this evening.

Would that have anything to do with the Ford Dealership fix on the cruise control switch? Or just coincidence? It never did this before. Truck specs in sig. Thanks.
Very curious. Mine did this to me about 4 weeks ago, I got on the brakes and she just spooled the turbo I think I hit the "set" button or something, and she came out of it. I didn't give it a second thought after trying it several more tries on my way home and it was working flawlessly. I also have the "new" switch on the master cylinder. I'll be watching where this goes.

Old 08-17-2010, 11:05 PM
camodown
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Is it possible the Clutch position switch is bad? Does the truck start without the clutch pedal? That should not allow cruise to engage. Additionally, there are three fail safes in the cruise cancel system. The first is the brake light switch, which cancels cruise when power goes to the brake lights. Second is the clutch switch which is 'supposed' to cancel cruise if the clutch is pushed in. Third is a brake pedal pressure switch which under pressure cancels the cruise. It may take a hard application of the brake pedal to set off the pressure switch... Those are the three areas I would look at

Old 08-17-2010, 11:19 PM
WA.Ranger
Postmaster

In my case, it's a slushbox. I've never had to do more than a gentle tap on my brakes before, and the time that happened, the truck literally started to spool up to fight the brakes.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:09 AM
itsjustdan26
Elder User
YIKES!

Glad your wife is alright for starters, and glad that you two are alright as well... I would call the dealer and see if any of them have had anything come back to them...That scares the living hell outta me.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:56 AM
jc8825
Posting Guru
The cruise control cable could be binding in the housing.

Old 08-18-2010, 01:16 AM
SSSimon
Posting Guru
Sounds like some Toyota germs got in there somehow !

Seriously though, glad everyone got out of it with no more than just a surprise!

Old 08-18-2010, 07:13 AM
mechelement
Cargo Master
Update: When she was stopped at the light, she couldn't figure out how to kick the idle back down with the clutch depressed and stomping on the brake pedal, so she put it in 1st gear and it finally kicked down to idle.

WA.Ranger, I tried to make the truck do that last night and it wouldn't. It worked flawlessly every time.

I will try to start the truck w/o depressing the clutch today.

Where is the cruise control housing? If all three switches wouldn't cut off the cruise control, I think this sounds like a good place to start, but I could be way off.

Old 08-18-2010, 09:38 AM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by jc8825
The cruise control cable could be binding in the housing.
There is no "cruise control cable" on these trucks.

The cruise control is all done electronically in the PCM, and there is no mechanical "linkage" at all.

Pop

Old 08-18-2010, 12:57 PM
mechelement
Cargo Master
Ok I'm way off.

How do you diagnose the switches? Ohm test each one?

Old 08-18-2010, 02:37 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
Originally Posted by mechelement
Ok I'm way off.

How do you diagnose the switches? Ohm test each one?
I would replace the pressure switch on the master cylinder regardless of what you find.
The diaphram might be leaking internally and hydrolocking the switch.
Seen that sort of thing before for MANY years on hydraulic brake light switches.

Old 08-18-2010, 05:42 PM
piotrsko
Elder User
another place to look is under the horn/airbag housing for zip ties shorting out the wiring to the steering wheel. the ECM seems to get confused as to what it should do with multiple inputs. Mine used to honk the horn when it engaged and turn left for disengage.

Old 08-18-2010, 06:21 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Maybe dirt or dust under the cruise on and off buttons., had to say it, wouldn't hurt using some compressed air and blowing in between the cracks.. but what do I know. Glad to hear no one got hurt..

Old 08-18-2010, 07:01 PM
danskool
Go Bills !
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Two years ago. I was on the thruway. Went to get off on the ramp.. hit the brake/hit the off.. Nothing. Kept on chugging. I proceeded on the thruway trying to get it off Cruise.. brake mashing and Off button pounding for 5 more miles.. Then it went off.. I never could get it to repeat. Always been a mystery to me...

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...ing-ideas.html

Old 08-18-2010, 07:03 PM
mechelement
Cargo Master
Master cylinder pressure switch... Is that what they jury-rigged at the dealership?

Quick Reply: Cruise control stuck on, wouldn't turn off when stopped