HAS ANYONE TRIED TO............. - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

HAS ANYONE TRIED TO.............

Old 08-17-2010, 12:18 PM
okc painter
Freshman User
okc painter is starting off with a positive reputation.
I would epoxy prime the inner area good, let it cure, get some Kent spray leak check (P50087) to seal all joints, let it cure, then use Kent Rigid Acoustucal Pillar foam (KT13672) Expands 10X. Then per instructions on the foam, "If foam is used in an area that needs to be water tight, coat fully cured foam with Spray Leak Check to seal the surface. This foam is used in 100 % of the cars being built today and rust is not an issue with it. You will probibly spend around 100 bucks on the foam.

Old 08-17-2010, 12:33 PM
sdetweil
Post Fiend
sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.
how do you 'seal' inside a closed area with a water entrypoint on one side.

Sam

Old 08-17-2010, 07:15 PM
okc painter
Freshman User
The sealers I use in the body shop have a long flexable wand with a 360 degree nozzle. it creeps in and seals. Have used it around wheel houses on cars, and cowl areas, anywhere I could not reach with convential seam sealers.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:24 PM
sdetweil
Post Fiend
sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.
yeh, its sealing the foam I have trouble with..

you put foam in those cab corners and there is NO way you're getting anything down there that will do a decent coverage job, of the foam, or anything else..

Sam

Old 08-17-2010, 08:24 PM
okc painter
Freshman User
If you seal the area good, then put in the foam, then seal the exposed foam, no moisture should be able to get in to it. There are many ways to seal areas up, to rust it takes bare metal, moisture and oxygen. Yhe way I suggested would seal the area up, and fill a void so dirt, trash etc cannot collect and hold moisture. Sometimes it is easier to do than explain.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:00 PM
sdetweil
Post Fiend
I hear ya.. just don't think you can get sealed here.. personally

Sam

Old 08-18-2010, 04:24 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
55 f350 is a splendid one to behold55 f350 is a splendid one to behold55 f350 is a splendid one to behold55 f350 is a splendid one to behold55 f350 is a splendid one to behold55 f350 is a splendid one to behold
been contemplating this myself due to all the unique lil' items i found in mine ..... they are full of glass that was put in in 1974 when it last had bodywork and i got a new set of outer's { rear cab corners } and got two very small holes on the inside to fix . was thinking about making some sort of cover and putting a small drain tube , hidden in each one in the bottom . the cover would've had to be removable ..... still haven't quite gotten that far . too busy trying to get it running under it's own power again .

Old 08-18-2010, 10:56 AM
AXracer
Post Fiend
AXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud of
Personally, I would not fill it. I'd make a removable metal or plastic cover for the area, and install it by laying a sheet of plastic wrap against the cab, and placing a bead of silicone caulk on the back of the cover, then attach in place. after a couple days curing time remove the cover and the plastic wrap, and you'll have a perfect fit silicone gasket on the back of the cover. I'd treat the sheet metal inside with rust converter then paint it with one of the brush or roll on bedliner products (not the spray can stuff it's just textured paint). Remove the cover once a year or so and clean the inside. That area was not sealed from the factory for a reason and lasted 60 years, so don't "improve" it by making a pond out of it.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:09 PM
ZOOT
Elder User
ZOOT has a good reputation on FTE.ZOOT has a good reputation on FTE.
What about Rust Encapsulator from Eastwood ? I've used on lots of problem areas. It's not expensive, it's compatable with any paint of plastic filler and can be topcoated like a primer. It's worked great for me.