1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

OT - The Winds of Change

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 03:39 PM
BlueOvalRage
Cargo Master

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
OT - The Winds of Change

Well, I closed a chapter of my life today. It's a day I never really thought would come. I sold my Harley. Part of me is relieved that it's gone and part of me is a little sick about it. We've been through a lot together and been to a lot of places, but I just haven't been riding her like I used to. The whole biker scene was a blast and I was passionate about it when I was in my 20's, single, and had more money than good sense. Now I'm staring at 40 and married with 3 active kids and a mortgage. It was spending way too much time collecting dust in the garage. 500 miles last year and about the same this year doesn't even justify the plates and insurance. The good news is that now I've got a nice nest egg tucked away for the truck. At least the whole family will be able to enjoy that. (sigh) I really miss the good old days. This whole responsible, mature adult gig really kinda sucks sometimes.

Old 08-16-2010, 03:49 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by BlueOvalRage
... (sigh) I really miss the good old days. This whole responsible, mature adult gig really kinda sucks sometimes.
indeed.!!!! I feel your pain.

I am staring at 60!!.. absolutely not ready..

Sam

Old 08-16-2010, 03:55 PM
Old F1
Cargo Master

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
The good news is that after the kids have grown up and left home (well, kind of) and when you are having your mid-life crises (and you will) you can go and get another bike, or a least pretend that you are going to. I did some freeway car driving yesterday and it is dangerous enough with a tin crush zone, didn’t envy the bikers at all.

Old 08-16-2010, 04:03 PM
HILLBILLY BOB
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
I gave up riding mine when i was 60.When i moved to florida i was really happy that
that i had given up the bike.The old people (not me) cant drive & the young ones
are always either texing or on the phone.I still miss the bike but i know that i made the
right decision.

Old 08-16-2010, 05:03 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,833 Likes on 1,833 Posts
Blue,
I've had a bike since I was 13, got my motorcycle license at 14, long before a regular drivers license and I've had a bike ever since. I used to pedal my bike down to the local Harley store and dream about those big road bikes. I'm 45 now and I got my first Harley a few years ago. Got a sweet deal on a 94 Road King with 5000 miles on it.

When I was 28 I started college with 2 kids and a mortgage. I promised myself that when I graduted I was going to buy myself a brand new Harley. Well, when the time came I couldn't justify spending that kind of money on a toy for myself. Sometimes life just happens. Later on when I had some free money I ended up buying a travel trailer...something the whole family could enjoy...lol

I've always had a bike and probably always will. Some years it doesnt get as many miles as others but I can't imagine not having one.

The important thing is that you made a decision that was right for you and your family and that you are OK with. Someday when the kids are older you might find a bike in your garage again.

Bobby

Old 08-16-2010, 05:08 PM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 332 Likes on 256 Posts
Originally Posted by BlueOvalRage
Well, I closed a chapter of my life today ....... This whole responsible, mature adult gig really kinda sucks sometimes.
At almost 57 my three kids are raised and gone, with families of their own. The '07 Shelby GT I was able to buy last year makes up for some of the sacrifices in the past.

I don't regret anything I have given up for my wife and kids..... only saying that sometimes it does get to be your turn. You're right to do the responsible thing - way to go Dad!!

Old 08-16-2010, 05:09 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Originally Posted by Old F1
The good news is that after the kids have grown up and left home (well, kind of) and when you are having your mid-life crises (and you will) you can go and get another bike, or a least pretend that you are going to. I did some freeway car driving yesterday and it is dangerous enough with a tin crush zone, didn’t envy the bikers at all.
Yeah, the Dark Days lasted about 15 yrs for me, then got back into it. Just as well to have a break, sit back and plan out what you'll get down the road. Although these days, you can't guess what a 2030 Harley would look like -- probably electric

Old 08-16-2010, 05:11 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Growing up sucks - thats why when I realized that I was growing up I went into regression - I don't wanna, You can't make me.

Old 08-16-2010, 05:25 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 4tl8ford
Growing up sucks - thats why when I realized that I was growing up I went into regression - I don't wanna, You can't make me.
Ya what he said.

Old 08-16-2010, 05:26 PM
BlueOvalRage
Cargo Master

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I appreciate all the encouragement. I'll be OK with it in a few days. I just keep looking out in the garage right now and when I see that empty spot my heart sinks a little bit. Our kids and the other drivers are really what made the decision for me. My buddy, another biker, pulled out in front of a couple on a bike in June with his SUV. The guy will never walk again and is still in the hospital fighting for his life. His wife had a month's worth of surgery to rebuiild her pelvis and replace all the skin and muscle that got left on the highway. They have two little kids. Three other people on two bikes were mowed down last week by a DRUNK ON-DUTY COP (.19 - over twice the legal limit) going to a call in Indianapolis. One dead and the other two are screwed up pretty bad. When you can't even count on the cops and other bikers to watch out for you, it's a bad situation - let alone all the aforementioned blue hairs and texting kids. One of those kids cost me a new car trailer earlier this year because he was diddling with his phone.

I don't doubt that I'll get the urge to ride again after the kids are gone. I really needed a bigger bike anyway if I was going to keep riding. Right now I've got to worry about the family and what would happen if I wasn't here. In the meantime, the Falcon and the trucks will do a pretty good job of keeping me busy and easing the pain. The proceeds of the bike sale will go a long way to getting them done.

Old 08-16-2010, 06:13 PM
eman92082
Cargo Master
Received 34 Likes on 12 Posts
I rode both street and dirt bikes in my early years. When the kids came along I decided to give it up telling myself that when they left home and got bump-started I'd get another bike. Now the kids are in their 30s and I live in a rural town with beautiful two-lane roads that stretch for miles. Our little town is a favorite pit-stop for bikers of all catagories and I want to get on one again. We also average about two fatalities each weekend in the surrounding area that are for the most part simple accidents rather than misbehaving. I know I can "buy the farm" regardless of what I drive but now that I'm older, I'm not as keen to sport road-rash.....

I still dig nice bikes though.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:11 PM
Lakotas53
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been riding some type of bike for the last 35 years. For my 50th birthday last June I rode from Alabama to Montana, hit 14 states in about 9 days. Had a ball, but I did just like you about 8 years ago, I married a lady with 2 kids and decided it was time to stop riding. Sold a brand new Honda Valkyrie Interstate with less than 2000 miles on it. Every time I saw a nice bike the wife would comment on it and how she knew I missed mine. I never said anything but finally she told me she wanted me to get another bike and that she wanted one too! That absolutely shocked me! Last 4 years we have rode all over this country and I hope we keep riding for many years to come. So you might just get another one down the road. Plenty of time left for ridin!

Old 08-16-2010, 09:49 PM
fatfenders56
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I am 63, my youngest (a son) is almost 25 now and I have the damndest urge to build a long front, fat tired, 100 HP widow maker. Years ago, I promised my wife no bikes after my 1/2 bro was almost killed on a Harely that I built for him. I think the best thing I can do for all concerned is to finish this 56, it is already in my will for Tim Jr. I have written a complete history of "15016" for him. My 31 Vicky goes to my wife. After years of wrestling with these issues, I think I made the right decision. Oh yeah, I gave up sprint cars too. Not trying to sound sappy here but we get comfortable with our decisions although for some of us it takes a little longer.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:09 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
I haven't had one since the late 70's...don't miss the broken bones and road rash but I do miss the lifestyle. I yeah, I guess I miss the hair too!

Attached Images  
Old 08-17-2010, 04:12 PM
BACAGrizz
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
I hear you B.O.R. I recently sold my spare bike that I bought new back in '86. It was like losing a limb. It was the first bike I had ever bought brand new. Come to think of it, it was the first vehicle I had ever bought brand new.

I am planning to use the money for the front end conversion on the '56 when the weather gets cooler so, maybe it won't feel so weird only having one bike now.

P.S. My granddaughters love going for rides in their neighborhoods on Grandpa's current Harley.