2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I have $1100 to spend on my toy.

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 11:31 PM
Prangsta
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have $1100 to spend on my toy.

Do I save up some more and get a Dynatech header system with Magnaflow hi-flow cats (as sold by Troyer Performance) and a Flowmaster exhaust?
Or do I spend it on a couple things, like an Edge CTS tuned by Power Hungry Performance, a Spectre Air Intake and something else?
I have also considered the idea of going to a Flex-a-lite electric fan.
I am willing to do most mods, but no supercharging because it costs too much and I couldn't afford the gas anyways! Please don't talk me into this.. unless you really want to.
I am looking for anything and everything, performance, cool sound and fuel economy. My truck looks cool, but now it needs the sound and performance.
Part of me thinks it would be cool to get the programmer first so I could keep track of the effects the other mods make. And part of me thinks those headers look pretty.

Lastly, I recently changed my front rotors to aftermarket and they rusted up pretty bad. Are there any that rusts very little or not at all?

06 F150 Lariat screw 5.4 3V 4X4 - no performance mods whatsoever, 6" suspension lift, 20" rims and 37" tires.

Old 08-15-2010, 11:59 PM
Coskid
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wouldn't spend the money on the intake not much of an advantage for the cost in my opinion. The exhaust and tuner are good ideas as is the e-fan.

As far as the rotors they all are going to rust I think its just the nature of the product.

Old 08-16-2010, 04:57 AM
shotgunz
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Coskid
I wouldn't spend the money on the intake not much of an advantage for the cost in my opinion. The exhaust and tuner are good ideas as is the e-fan.
What he said. If you just had to mess with the intake, I guess you could spend the $15 for the Gotts mod.

What about stocking up on oil, oil filters, and air filters?

Maybe these will help your rusting rotor issue.

Old 08-16-2010, 05:40 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
With the lift and tire combo your running, mpg suggestions are moot.

I'd do the smartest thing and re-gear both axles, if not already done.

Old 08-16-2010, 06:31 AM
Coskid
Postmaster
Originally Posted by tseekins
With the lift and tire combo your running, mpg suggestions are moot.

I'd do the smartest thing and re-gear both axles, if not already done.

I missed the last line of the original post somehow. I agree with tseekins with that lift and tires you would get the most gain out of upgrading to 4.56's in your gears. Another member did running something similar to your setup and he ended up getting like 17 mpg's again with the new gears and the tuner he has. Worth the money.

Look for a post review of my gears in this forum and that will give you most of the information.

Old 08-16-2010, 09:21 AM
Prangsta
Freshman User
Thanks folks! I am taking advantage of this nice weather and staining the deck right now. I will look into the gearing and whatnot tonight as I am not 100% sure how that works.

Old 08-16-2010, 11:52 AM
Coskid
Postmaster
Link to a thread that talks about the 4.56 gears and how they have helped his truck

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...the-gears.html

Old 08-16-2010, 01:00 PM
OptimusF150
Senior User
I agree with everyone on here I would check out the gears also check on the tuners. There are places that custome tune to your truck. A couple of guys told me about this place called 5 Star they are on the site as a sponsor.

Prangsta I also have a question about your lift and what you did suspension and all. How big did you go with a lift in order to fit 37's. I want to do the same thing to my truck.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:01 PM
Prangsta
Freshman User
Shotgunz.. I replaced my brake pad with ceramic, the dust isn't a problem anymore.. I guess they would cover up the rotors so you wouldn't see them, but the dust covers themselves look ugly as well. Does anyone have a picture of them on their truck?

Coskid, I read that link. It seems he got some better fuel economy, that's cool, but is there any HP and torque recovery in doing this as well? $1400 for better mpg is pricey up front.
Also fyi, I have a 6" BDS suspension lift kit. Use this link and put in your info to find the right kit. Select Your Vehicle for a BDS Suspension System Mine is an '06 and they are a tight fit. You may also want to look at the price difference between 35s and 37s.. I have considered downsizing because 37" ATs are very limited and when you do find them they are easily over $2000 for a set of 4.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:11 PM
Coskid
Postmaster
Gears aren't just a MPG gain you would see a big difference in other areas as well. The larger gears will increase your towing capacity and should give you more torque.

If you can remember what your truck drove like before the lift then imagine that with the 6" lift and larger tires and that is what the gears will do for you.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:45 PM
Prangsta
Freshman User
Is it just me or does everyone else agree that the CS is a nicer looking unit than the CTS because it actually fits into the pod instead of hanging on the front of it? I guess with a black interior like mine a black pod and tuner wouldn't look as bad, but I think I will save some money and go with the CS.

I am going to put off the gears for at least another 2000kms. Then my extended warranty is done and I won't have to worry about voiding it.

Is the flex-a-lite a good e-fan, or are there others that are better for the f-150?

Old 08-16-2010, 11:23 PM
OptimusF150
Senior User
Thanks Prangsta I think you just helped me out with what size tires to go with those 37 are expensive. I guess I will just stick with the 35's. Plus I can always do just the leveling kit and add 35's until I add the suspension lift.

I like the idea of changing the gears on my truck but I'm worried if it will hurt the tranny. I am also concerned about the speedometer being off after changing the gears along with the bigger tires.

Old 08-16-2010, 11:31 PM
Prangsta
Freshman User
Yeah that will be another benefit of the tuner. I will know how fast I am going.. they have a tire size compensator if I am not mistaken.

Old 08-16-2010, 11:46 PM
OptimusF150
Senior User
Yeah well that 5 Star will ask you all kind of questions about your truck so they can custome tune the programmer to match the motor exhaust tire size gears and all.

Old 08-24-2010, 07:08 PM
baitmaster
Posting Guru
I have had a big dual fan Flex a lite on my 72 390" ford. It can sit in traffic all day in 110 degree weather without the heat gauge moving. 7 yrs and no probs.

Quick Reply: I have $1100 to spend on my toy.