1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Stupid question

Old 08-13-2010, 12:47 PM
ZOOT
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Stupid question

I've got a 289 with a performer edelbrock carb. I only drive it in nice weather and the fuel evaporates between. So my stupid question is what is the best way to prime the carb? I hate cranking the engine waiting for the carb to fill. Stock fuel pump. Any ideas?

Old 08-13-2010, 12:53 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
Either add an electric pump or you can fill fuel bowl through carb vent with a small funnel.

Old 08-13-2010, 01:01 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
rebuild the carb. If it is going dry the gaskets have shrunk or the needle and seat are leaking. It shouldn't go dry any more than the gas tank.

Old 08-13-2010, 01:03 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Letting the diaphragm on the fuel pump and carb dry out is really bad for them! I might be tempted to start the truck up a little more often, or install the electric pump as Jeff recommended.

Old 08-13-2010, 01:53 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Originally Posted by AXracer
rebuild the carb. If it is going dry the gaskets have shrunk or the needle and seat are leaking. It shouldn't go dry any more than the gas tank.
The gas tank isn't bolted onto 500 lbs of hot metal! I don't remember if 289's have an exhaust crossover in the intake, but I'd bet they either have that or a water passage under the carb area to prevent icing in the winter. It will boil the carb out in 1/2 hour after shutdown on a warm summer day.

You could try doubling up on carb-to manifold gaskets to reduce heat into the carb. If your pump's check valves are in good shape, it shouldn't take very much cranking to refill the carb, but it will take some. An electric pump with regulator is likely the most satisfactory solution.

Old 08-13-2010, 02:10 PM
Fomoko1
Received 1,344 Likes on 1,104 Posts
I feel your pain, I have an early 68 Mustang with a 289 and the same problem.
I`ve recently replaced the fuel pump with a new rebuild and it has helped some what, less cranking to start it now.

Old 08-13-2010, 02:21 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
The gas tank isn't bolted onto 500 lbs of hot metal! I don't remember if 289's have an exhaust crossover in the intake, but I'd bet they either have that or a water passage under the carb area to prevent icing in the winter. It will boil the carb out in 1/2 hour after shutdown on a warm summer day.

You could try doubling up on carb-to manifold gaskets to reduce heat into the carb. If your pump's check valves are in good shape, it shouldn't take very much cranking to refill the carb, but it will take some. An electric pump with regulator is likely the most satisfactory solution.
Sorry, but I don't agree, otherwise every carbed engine in the south would suffer from the same malady any time the vehicle was driven and parked for 1/2 hour, stock or modded. set a cup ful of gasoline on top a hot engine, even on a hot day and see how long it actually takes to evaporate even in an open container. Be sure to have a chair and a few cool drinks handy, you are going to be there for quite some time. The carb would need to be leaking liquid gas to go dry in 1/2 hr or even several weeks since it is essentially a seal container if in good condition.

Old 08-13-2010, 03:46 PM
ZOOT
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks guys,and gal, It will turn over after cranking around a couple of times, but all I can think about is the start up wearing on the engine. It's a new carb from edelbrock with only 10,000 miles on it. I've been disconecting the fuel line and connecting a rubber hose with a funnel to fill the carb bowl. It starts in a heart beat. Just a pain and don't like the risk. Just looking for an easier way. Thanks again

Old 08-13-2010, 06:21 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Have you tried stepping down on the gas pedal a time or two before you crank it over? I know this may sound stupid but I got use to driving a fuel injected truck and then bought a carbed truck. It took me a couple times to remember to hit the gas pedal before cranking it over.

If you do add an electric fuel pump make sure to add a fuel pressure regulator. Even if the pump has one built in. Carbs can be sensitive to too much fuel pressure.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:13 PM
Fomoko1
Received 1,344 Likes on 1,104 Posts
I remove the air cleaner top and very carefully squirt a little gas in the carb from an enclosed ketchup squeeze bottle replacing the air cleaner top before attempting to start the Mustang.
I certainly wouldn`t do it with a hot engine tho.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:18 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
and they make spray starter fluid to help in these situations..

sam

Old 08-13-2010, 07:20 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Yea but a small electric fuel pump is a lot less hassle in the long run.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:36 PM
Walston
Cargo Master

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
I put an electric fuel pump on the 292 Y-block in our 60. It sits some times for a couple months at a time. I turn the key on, wait a few seconds to let the pump pressure up, 2 pump of the gas pedal and it starts instantly EVERY time. I recommend the electric pump. However, electric fuel pumps can be dangerous in a wreck, keep pumping out fuel, so you also need to add a collision shutdown. Ron Francis sells them.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:40 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Have you ever checked that the float bowl is actually going dry by opening it up? Have you ever looked into the carb throat with the air cleaner off before trying to start it and looking for a squirt of gas to shoot into the carb when you quickly move the throttle linkage manually to full open? Also check for signs of seepage all around the carb, fuel lines and fuel pump. Smell the oil on the dipstick for gasoline odor after sitting for a period of time. Make sure the PCV valve is working.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:58 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by ZOOT
Thanks guys,and gal, It will turn over after cranking around a couple of times, but all I can think about is the start up wearing on the engine. It's a new carb from edelbrock with only 10,000 miles on it. I've been disconecting the fuel line and connecting a rubber hose with a funnel to fill the carb bowl. It starts in a heart beat. Just a pain and don't like the risk. Just looking for an easier way. Thanks again
Just a couple side notes to add.

First, I also have an Edelbrock carb. I know my Carter fuel pump is good, but if I don't drive the truck for 4 or more days, the same thing happens, the gas seems to back flow to the tank.

Sometimes there is enough left in the bowl to get a squirt out of it from the accelerator pump if I floor the gas pedal before starting.

But if your concern is grinding the engine over for a little longer to get the gas up to the carb to start it up, don't be concerned. If your starter and charging system are working properly, it is probably BETTER that you are turning it over a little longer after sitting for awhile.

That 20 extra seconds also pre-oils the engine (sends oil up where it hasn't flowed for awhile) and is much better for your engine after sitting that to have it fire right up.

As a matter of fact, I deliberately wired my starter button to be able to turn over the engine without the ignition on just for that purpose.

Best start up procedure is to floor the pedal while pulling out the choke cable half way, then release the pedal and crank it up. If that doesn't work then floor the pedal a second time the next time you start it up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stupid question