1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

48-50 Rear Cab Mount Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 01:16 PM
rb48f6
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The stamped ones in the top picture look like the ones on my '48 F6. And the 48-56 Parts Book shows the same part number for the most part (B5Q-5353-A) for 48-55 C-TH Series , except the 53-56 T & TH school buses. It even shows apps against the W & WH (COE) although there is some conflicting data on the COE's.

The COE's, like the F7 & F8 have a separate sub-frame between the cab and regular chassis frame to get the extra cab floor to frame height. Looking further, looks like the COE's have 2 arms on each side (mid-cab and rear), for 3 cab mount points each side. Hence part numbers for 2 arms. Maybe (Number) Bill can confirm or correct me if wrong on the COE's.

Mac's Automotive MAC's Antique Auto Parts
and NPD NPDLink | National Parts Depot
both carry cab mounts and cab mount hrdw (like the rear arm bushings), Mac's even carry shims for the front mounts.

Old 08-18-2010, 03:47 PM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
I raised the roof today...well, the cab anyway.

I removed the inside dogbone bracket and turned it upside down. What a difference! It looks great now from the outside. The cab looks level and the front bed panel is now the same distance from the cab from top to bottom.

However, this brings up another question. How far above the top of the frame rail should the cab floor be? I can slide one finger (about 3/4 of an inch) between the cab floor and the top of the frame rail at the front where the firewall comes down but I can slide three fingers (about two inches) between the frame rail and the cab floor at the rear of the cab where the dogbones mount. Does that sound about right?

Considering the cab floor was resting on the top frame rail before I raised it, it's definitely an improvement...

Old 08-18-2010, 04:46 PM
rb48f6
Senior User
Vern~
Here are 2 pics I just took of the right side cab underside front to back and then back to front. It's a '48 F6, F1-F6 all mount the same as far as I know. And this cab (to best of knowledge) has not been taken off the frame in 62 years........ (And it's all that's on the top side of the frame now.)

Attached Images   
Old 08-18-2010, 05:03 PM
Old F1
Cargo Master

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
Looks like a F600 is too high for the rust bugs to climb up to, huh?

Old 08-18-2010, 05:05 PM
whateg01
More Turbo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How 'bout a pic of the truck? Maybe the bed is actually not sitting level? That irregular gap seems wrong to me.

Dave

Old 08-18-2010, 06:20 PM
rb48f6
Senior User
OldF1
Yeah I got lucky / looked long and hard to find one as clean as I could. Only rust is where running boards meet the lower front fenders, and it's not real bad. It just came out of Nebraska, when I found it in Indiana.

Dave~
I was thinking the same thing, maybe some pics to see what's going on. Something is definately off if there's that much gap between cab / frame and cab / box.

Old 08-18-2010, 06:25 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Vern, were your brackets upside-down to begin with?

I have just about enough room to get a finger under my cab over the frame. When I bought it with bad bushings it would hit the frame every bump.

Old 08-18-2010, 08:23 PM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
Vern, were your brackets upside-down to begin with?

I have just about enough room to get a finger under my cab over the frame. When I bought it with bad bushings it would hit the frame every bump.
The rear cab mounts were very bad on this truck. They were very rusted and the mounting holes were wallowed out. The cab was actually resting on the frame from front to rear. According to the pictures you posted the brackets were correctly installed. Apparently, this cab has been sitting on the frame for many years as the bed had actually rubbed a hole in the back of the cab due to metal to metal contact. The spacing for the cab front sounds right (one finger) but now I can get three over the rear. It was resting on the frame front to rear before I turned the bracket upside down. It looks good to me so I'm leaving it that way for now. I really like the spacing between the bed and cab...

Old 08-18-2010, 08:36 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
I meant one finger over the frame at the rear. Is your bed's crossmember perhaps sagging?

Here's where mine sits

Attached Images  
Old 08-19-2010, 07:38 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
I meant one finger over the frame at the rear. Is your bed's crossmember perhaps sagging?

Here's where mine sits
I didn't check there yet. I'll take a look later today...

Old 08-19-2010, 08:17 AM
whateg01
More Turbo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vern, if you are happy with it, that's all that matters. Something is obviously not aligning correctly or something is bent, but you are the one the truck has to make happy.

Dave

Old 08-19-2010, 01:30 PM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
I decided to take a middle of the road approach. It was too high in the back with the bracket turned upside down (two inches between the cab and frame) even though it looked great outside. So, I turned the bracket back the way it should be but drilled two new mounting holes for it and moved it up the frame rail about an inch. Now I have one finger width between the cab and frame at the rear like Ross's truck and the distance between the front bed panel and the cab is about two inches at the bottom and about one inch at the top. I think this will work better...thanks for everyone's help!

Old 08-19-2010, 04:31 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Could you take a picture from the side?

Old 08-19-2010, 07:56 PM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
I'll try to take one in the next few days...

Old 08-20-2010, 11:21 PM
Mervy49
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by GreatNorthWoods
I decided to take a middle of the road approach. It was too high in the back with the bracket turned upside down (two inches between the cab and frame) even though it looked great outside. So, I turned the bracket back the way it should be but drilled two new mounting holes for it and moved it up the frame rail about an inch. Now I have one finger width between the cab and frame at the rear like Ross's truck and the distance between the front bed panel and the cab is about two inches at the bottom and about one inch at the top. I think this will work better...thanks for everyone's help!
You will, ( maybe) have some problems getting the inner fenders, running boards to fenders etc, to fit properly since you raised the rear cab mounts up on the frame.

Quick Reply: 48-50 Rear Cab Mount Question