48-50 Rear Cab Mount Question - Page 4 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

48-50 Rear Cab Mount Question

Old 08-21-2010, 06:14 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Post Fiend
GreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Mervy49 View Post
You will, ( maybe) have some problems getting the inner fenders, running boards to fenders etc, to fit properly since you raised the rear cab mounts up on the frame.
Perhaps, but that's why I decided three inches was too high and went with roughly one inch or less. The height didn't change up front so front/inner fenders should not be a problem and nothing attaches to the cab in the rear so I doubt if running boards will be a problem either...

Old 08-23-2010, 06:47 AM
hotrodbob51
Senior User
hotrodbob51 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ordered all new mounts hardware and dogbones the new type. Minw where shot. The cab looks great. Took it off the frame for now going to paint the frame under the cab and the bottom of the cab.

Old 08-26-2010, 01:38 PM
GreatNorthWoods
Post Fiend
GreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to all
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1 View Post
Could you take a picture from the side?
Ross, here's the picture I promised...

Old 08-26-2010, 10:09 PM
Mervy49
Posting Guru
Mervy49 is a splendid one to beholdMervy49 is a splendid one to beholdMervy49 is a splendid one to beholdMervy49 is a splendid one to beholdMervy49 is a splendid one to beholdMervy49 is a splendid one to beholdMervy49 is a splendid one to behold
In this pic the cab/box proportions seem to be fairly close.....

Old 08-26-2010, 11:32 PM
ALBUQ F-1
postin' fool
ALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputation
Is the bed bolted down yet? Looks a little far back, but height is correct.

Old 08-27-2010, 06:34 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1 View Post
Is the bed bolted down yet? Looks a little far back, but height is correct.
It's not finally bolted down but it's where it will be when it is. It is bolted into the stock frame holes. Actually, I'm pretty satisfied with the spacing now even though it's a little wider at the bottom. At least the cab and front bed panel aren't touching like they were...

Old 08-27-2010, 08:12 AM
WMF6
New User
WMF6 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Don't know if this is a common problem with Bonus Builts but could the frame be sagging? Just wondering if the truck had previous owners who habitually overloaded it.

Old 08-27-2010, 01:59 PM
GreatNorthWoods
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by WMF6 View Post
Don't know if this is a common problem with Bonus Builts but could the frame be sagging? Just wondering if the truck had previous owners who habitually overloaded it.
That's quite possible. It's a 61 year old truck. At that age we all sag a bit...

Old 08-27-2010, 02:38 PM
ALBUQ F-1
postin' fool
ALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by GreatNorthWoods View Post
That's quite possible. It's a 61 year old truck. At that age we all sag a bit...
Refer to the Dagmar thread for more on that....

Old 08-27-2010, 11:53 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all
Plus we get our "Batman" wings with age.

Old 11-14-2017, 11:14 AM
yosemite98
Senior User
yosemite98 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by rb48f6 View Post
Vern~
Here are 2 pics I just took of the right side cab underside front to back and then back to front. It's a '48 F6, F1-F6 all mount the same as far as I know. And this cab (to best of knowledge) has not been taken off the frame in 62 years........ (And it's all that's on the top side of the frame now.)
Good post and info here.

Mine looks the same, image below. Now that the truck is running, I'm going back to what I was doing 4 months ago, making the ride a bit smoother and fixing the hole in my floor pan. However, I noticed the hole in the floor pan is likely partially due to the entire cab sitting on the frame so I need to fix that before I get to the floor pan, no wonder it's such a rough ride!

I think I'll start with the rubber pads kit from either midfifty or macs to see if that helps as the rubber in rear is missing, and the front mounts are clearly barely there. If that doesn't raise it I may have to figure something else out.

1948-52 Ford F-100 Cab Mount Rubber Pad & Washer Shim Kit 48-52 Front & Rear (no Bolts) - 7C-5400-SS

https://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_t...1-thru-f3.html

Attached Images  
Old 11-14-2017, 12:51 PM
GreatNorthWoods
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by yosemite98 View Post
Good post and info here.

Mine looks the same, image below. Now that the truck is running, I'm going back to what I was doing 4 months ago, making the ride a bit smoother and fixing the hole in my floor pan. However, I noticed the hole in the floor pan is likely partially due to the entire cab sitting on the frame so I need to fix that before I get to the floor pan, no wonder it's such a rough ride!

I think I'll start with the rubber pads kit from either midfifty or macs to see if that helps as the rubber in rear is missing, and the front mounts are clearly barely there. If that doesn't raise it I may have to figure something else out.

1948-52 Ford F-100 Cab Mount Rubber Pad & Washer Shim Kit 48-52 Front & Rear (no Bolts) - 7C-5400-SS

https://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_t...1-thru-f3.html
Thanks Yosemite! I asked that question 7 years ago but late is better than never! That truck was finished and sold in 2014.

Old 11-14-2017, 03:37 PM
yosemite98
Senior User
yosemite98 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks Yosemite! I asked that question 7 years ago but late is better than never! That truck was finished and sold in 2014.
Haha, yeah... I was just looking into fixing my floor pan and saw the cab was on the frame and likely caused some the floor pan issue to begin with, and then found this post when trying to figure out what it's supposed to look like. Even 7 years later it's good info!

Hopefully you have a new project.