1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

neals pedal box bushing install (pic heavy)

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 11:40 PM
ccarrier
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
neals pedal box bushing install (pic heavy)

well neal called me today to help install his pedal box bushing so i headed over....

step 1: remove pedal box assembly (due to lots of cussing and kicking,there will be no pics here)

here is what it looks like after the box is removed

heres the box out of the truck

new parts!

remove the nuts on both sides

remove spring

remove pedal

remove shaft

old bushings

old out,new in

last step: putting the box back in.... just as much kicking and cussing.

Old 08-12-2010, 01:01 AM
RubberDuck
Logistics Pro

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Excellent writeup. Good job.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:02 AM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for posting this. The pics turned out great. It is a pretty straight forward process. Just the kicking and cussing is up to you.
The pedal box comes out and at times it seems to be like magic. Because it doesn't look like it will come out or even go back in for that matter. As you can see the universal joint had to be taken completely off then the steering shaft can be slid thru the firewall to get it down and out of the way. The brake booster has to be pulled out of the firewall and the clutch master cylinder slid forward also. Then the box can be removed.

FYI, I would not recommend doing this job by yourself. It is pretty handy to have someone under the hood and someone under the dash at the same time.

Oh, and one more thing. Remove the accelerator pedal assembly prior to doing this job. It may just save you some money.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:17 AM
ccarrier
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Neal 97 250

Oh, and one more thing. Remove the accelerator pedal assembly prior to doing this job. It may just save you some money.
i learned this the hard way! but i did get lucky in the end

Old 08-12-2010, 03:41 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Good write up guys. It's really not too bad of a process. I did it in my buddy's driveway with very basic tools.

I had to change out the whole bracket, pedals, and everything on mine. It seems the brackets on these trucks are kinda weak b/c mine cracked right where the bushing is for the shaft on the clutch arm side. it cracked and would tweak everytime i pressed in the clutch.

Old 08-12-2010, 05:23 PM
ccarrier
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by strokin'_tatsch
Good write up guys. It's really not too bad of a process. I did it in my buddy's driveway with very basic tools.

I had to change out the whole bracket, pedals, and everything on mine. It seems the brackets on these trucks are kinda weak b/c mine cracked right where the bushing is for the shaft on the clutch arm side. it cracked and would tweak everytime i pressed in the clutch.
mine did the same

Old 08-22-2010, 08:54 AM
Jaaaaaaackman
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow good post and pics , my bushings are shot have the new parts waiting for a sunny day the job looks like a real bear working upside down in all is the pits.........

Say how much time did this job take start to Finish?

Old 08-22-2010, 09:26 AM
97-psd
Logistics Pro
Received 375 Likes on 268 Posts
neal, could you tell a difference with the new bushings? I need to start looking a my bushings, mine is starting to become a pain to shift

Old 08-22-2010, 08:09 PM
ccarrier
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Jaaaaaaackman
Wow good post and pics , my bushings are shot have the new parts waiting for a sunny day the job looks like a real bear working upside down in all is the pits.........

Say how much time did this job take start to Finish?
well between the bs'n and th beer drinkin... probly took us an hour-hour and a half

Old 08-22-2010, 09:43 PM
Jaaaaaaackman
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ccarrier
well between the bs'n and th beer drinkin... probly took us an hour-hour and a half

Cool 1- 1/2 hours not bad looks like it would take longer next weekend I'll be on it..

thanks jack

Reps sent

Old 08-23-2010, 03:40 AM
IDMooseMan
Postmaster
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Reps sent. I have an automatic, but there's no such thing as too much information.

Old 08-23-2010, 07:54 PM
Brown Falcon
Hotshot
Received 123 Likes on 83 Posts
Very good write-up. I'll be doing that before my manual trans swap when i get around to it.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:23 AM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 97-psd
neal, could you tell a difference with the new bushings? I need to start looking a my bushings, mine is starting to become a pain to shift
Yes I could tell a little bit of difference. But my bushings were not worn as bad as some I have seen. I could feel the brake pedal lift a little when I mashed on the clutch. Now it does not do it at all.

If you are having problems shifting then I would highly recommend fixing it before you get stuck or the box breaks or cracks like ccarrrier's did.

Originally Posted by Brown Falcon
Very good write-up. I'll be doing that before my manual trans swap when i get around to it.
I would highly recommend this fix.

You know guys, our trucks are getting some good age on them and no matter how well they have been taken care of the fact still remains that they are getting old. I have found myself more so lately just doing little fixes like this. This stuff is what will keep the truck running like new for many more years. This not that hard of a job but is necessary in order to keep these trucks on the road.

Thanks for the reps guys.
and reps to you ccarrier for posting these pics.
Sometimes I forget to rep but I gotya this time.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:28 AM
Brown Falcon
Hotshot
Received 123 Likes on 83 Posts
Originally Posted by Neal 97 250
You know guys, our trucks are getting some good age on them and no matter how well they have been taken care of the fact still remains that they are getting old. I have found myself more so lately just doing little fixes like this. This stuff is what will keep the truck running like new for many more years. This not that hard of a job but is necessary in order to keep these trucks on the road.
I realize this more and more every week that goes by. It's great not having a payment though... Cheaper in the long run.

Can't rep you, but sent some love to Ccarrier for the good writeup.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:46 AM
B Big
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks guys! There is nothing like pics to help guide ya through a job for the first time.

Quick Reply: neals pedal box bushing install (pic heavy)