1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Advice on a good regulated return system?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 10:53 PM
Chris Karsseboom
Senior User
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Advice on a good regulated return system?

So far I have found the driven kit for 575.00, the sinister kit which also delete the fuel bowl for 700.00 or the riffraff kit for 200.00? Those of you who have experience with any let me know thanks.

Old 02-04-2016, 11:27 PM
duck fan
Because racetruck

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts
If you are wanting to delete the bowl go with the Strictly Diesel kit, if you are keeping the bowl go with the FRx. One isn't better than the other when it comes to the regulated return portion, only difference is the Strictly kit that keeps the fuel bowl comes with larger fuel lines, but you can do that same thing with the FRx and save about $300. I have run both and love the simplicity of the Riffraff kit and that it does the same for under $200.

Old 02-05-2016, 12:56 PM
DISLFVR
Locomotive breath

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Riff Raff kit for me as well..does what it says.

Old 02-05-2016, 04:08 PM
holeshotwalt
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Riff Raff here also; I thought I wanted a full RR system, but unless you're going for a full out horsepower rig, the FRX does it well and cheaper!

Old 02-05-2016, 05:59 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris Karsseboom
So far I have found the driven kit for 575.00, the sinister kit which also delete the fuel bowl for 700.00 or the riffraff kit for 200.00? Those of you who have experience with any let me know thanks.
I like the factory system myself. Has worked quite well for me in my personal trucks as well as all our fleet trucks. The factory system has a regulator in the bowl that returns the fuel back to the tank. I ran an FRX in my personal trucks and the one in my wife's truck almost wore a hole through the hose due to rubbing up against the HPOP hoses. Luckily I caught that in time.

I put both trucks back to stock. Haven't noticed any ill effects since then.

Old 02-05-2016, 06:11 PM
holeshotwalt
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shake-N-Bake
the one in my wife's truck almost wore a hole through the hose due to rubbing up against the HPOP hoses.
Sounds like something that should have been caught/prevented upon installation...

Old 02-05-2016, 08:06 PM
jhl3
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There are a ton of positive aspects to the factory setup. Simplicity, cost effective maintenance, and about the smallest number of connections possible which equates to fewer leaks in the long run hopefully. The factory setup does return fuel to the tank but only from the fuel bowl and nothing from the heads unless you have really bad injector o-rings.

IIRC, you have an e99. If you go with the SD kit and you still have your factory up pipes then you may as well plan on adding an hour or two to the assembly time because you'll have to remove a considerable amount of metal from the collector on the DS just to get the fitting started in the head....that little tidbit of info is mentioned somewhere in the fine print.

I would talk with Clay at RR to see if the same applies to his FRx.

If you don't have an e99, then this does not apply because on the L99 and up, the collector is located farther away from that fitting.

I think you'll like the FRx and it will be all you will need unless you are wanting to push huge HP numbers. You can have it installed in about two hours on the first try, including a few breaks.

Have you done the Hutch and Harpoon mod?

Old 02-06-2016, 12:35 AM
Chris Karsseboom
Senior User
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jhl3
There are a ton of positive aspects to the factory setup. Simplicity, cost effective maintenance, and about the smallest number of connections possible which equates to fewer leaks in the long run hopefully. The factory setup does return fuel to the tank but only from the fuel bowl and nothing from the heads unless you have really bad injector o-rings.

IIRC, you have an e99. If you go with the SD kit and you still have your factory up pipes then you may as well plan on adding an hour or two to the assembly time because you'll have to remove a considerable amount of metal from the collector on the DS just to get the fitting started in the head....that little tidbit of info is mentioned somewhere in the fine print.

I would talk with Clay at RR to see if the same applies to his FRx.

If you don't have an e99, then this does not apply because on the L99 and up, the collector is located farther away from that fitting.

I think you'll like the FRx and it will be all you will need unless you are wanting to push huge HP numbers. You can have it installed in about two hours on the first try, including a few breaks.

Have you done the Hutch and Harpoon mod?
I ordered the hutch mid and should be here today.

Old 12-14-2020, 08:51 PM
Big Adventure
Cross-Country
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If the connections are flair fitting there’s no need for dope. You only need dope for male treaded pipe connections. They are low pressure too. You don’t have to crank the stuff to tight.

Old 12-27-2020, 12:37 PM
ngng
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I have used Form-A sealant with good success on threads. Doesn't dry hard either.

Old 01-06-2021, 09:23 AM
flumpydog
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The good folks at SPE sent me an email and have done some changes to their CP4 Disaster kit. They have changed up some of the fittings, so that you no longer need to use teflon tape to seal up the threads.