Connecticut Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

need a good tranny shop in new haven area anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 03:45 PM
hatchet
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question need a good tranny shop in new haven area anyone?

anyone know a good tranny shop in the new haven area?my tranny on my 94 250 needs a rebuilding and i want to go to tranny shop where they know what there doing.I use to go to roys transmisson shop in hamden but it went out of business.anyone know any other tranny shop in the hamden new haven north haven wallworld areas that will fix it right the fisrt time and wont take forever?I called one place they told me it could run me 2800 seems like alot some others said 2000.thanks

Old 08-06-2010, 03:51 PM
Canned Ham 450
Elder User
Jerry's Transmission in guilford i heard is good and they warranty it for a pretty long time.

Old 08-06-2010, 04:30 PM
Zookie400
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i grew up in guilford and worked in that general area most of my life, and everybody brings their stuff to jerry's. they have helped me with my parts needs when i get in a bind. i dont know about the pricing, but i would recommend them based on their work.

Old 08-06-2010, 04:38 PM
gbroehl1
Logistics Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a friend that recently used Denny's Transmission here in Bristol and was very happy with the service.

Old 08-06-2010, 06:16 PM
7.3 Rocket
Post Fiend
I'd try Camerota truck parts on Universal Drive in North haven. I'm not sure if they do small automatic transmissions but I know they will rebuild any size manual trans. We've used them for everything from Mack truck transmissions to the trans in a Chevy S10. Never tried to bring them an automatic trans to rebuild but I do know they deal in Allison autos for big trucks so who knows... Give them a call at least we've always been happy with them.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:36 PM
hatchet
Senior User
thanks guys ill check out all of those places.the truck is auto with an e40d.starting with the place in north haven since thats close by then ill take it from there if they cant do it.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:38 PM
trackspeeder
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by hatchet
anyone know a good tranny shop in the new haven area?my tranny on my 94 250 needs a rebuilding and i want to go to tranny shop where they know what there doing.I use to go to roys transmisson shop in hamden but it went out of business.anyone know any other tranny shop in the hamden new haven north haven wallworld areas that will fix it right the fisrt time and wont take forever?I called one place they told me it could run me 2800 seems like alot some others said 2000.thanks
Depending if the tranny (E4OD) has been upgraded, $2800. is good. There are lot of upgrades to this tranny. Most of the cheap builds just throw some frictions and some seals, then call it rebuilt. If you get 20 k out of it your lucky.

Ask your re builder what he puts into the tranny before you drop the $$$$.

As for a re builder. I would recommend Jerry's in Guilford.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:39 PM
7.3 Rocket
Post Fiend
thanks guys ill check out all of those places.the truck is auto with an e40d.starting with the place in north haven since thats close by then ill take it from there if they cant do it.
Camerota down by metal management and Grainger on Universal drive past where you get on 91 South. Not on universal over near the home depot. Past that.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:41 PM
hatchet
Senior User
yeah thanks ill give them a call.I also was wondering if they could put heavy duty parts in my tranny since im planing on lifting the truck and putin on bigger tires i was told they could do it buy a few people.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:42 PM
hatchet
Senior User
ok thanks ill check them out also.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:43 PM
hatchet
Senior User
Originally Posted by 7.3 Rocket
Camerota down by metal management and Grainger on Universal drive past where you get on 91 South. Not on universal over near the home depot. Past that.

yup i know about where that is i dont live to far from there.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:23 PM
trackspeeder
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
yeah thanks ill give them a call.I also was wondering if they could put heavy duty parts in my tranny since im planing on lifting the truck and putin on bigger tires i was told they could do it buy a few people.
The big change will be replacing the aluminum planet carriers over to steel. Highly recommended. The Ford updates will change the front pump to the F pump. The new gear sets will give you the updated hardened input shaft. Still more upgrades to go. Depends on what you want to spend.

The most important. Get a better tranny cooler. If you have the trailer tow package, Ford will provide a wimpy oil to air cooler. If you don't. You only get the liquid cooler. So replace the wimpy cooler, or add the oil to air cooler.