1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Can I remove the cat on a 96 Ranger 2.3 without problems??

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 03:15 PM
390Highboy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can I remove the cat on a 96 Ranger 2.3 without problems??

Hey, I have a 96 ranger 2.3 5spd and the converter has a rattling noise inside. I want to just take it off because I don't have the money for a new one. But I noticed that there is an O2 sensor behind it. Is that going to cause a computer issue? I dont care if the cel is on, I just don't want a rough running rich or lean burn issue. Anyone have experience with this?

Old 08-09-2010, 03:47 PM
kawa
Postmaster
Talking

The short answer is:

It's a Federal offense to remove the cat!
]
Rog

Old 08-09-2010, 04:33 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Removing it can cause your computer to lean out...dangerously lean out your fuel mixture. There might be a O2 sensor emulator that you can purchase online if you decide to go forward with removing it.

Old 08-09-2010, 04:50 PM
BrockwayMT
Senior User
Originally Posted by kawa
The short answer is:

It's a Federal offense to remove the cat!
]
Rog
Yes it is but so it taking cigarettes across state lines.

That said the cat for that truck is relatively cheap. $205 for the direct fit unit from rockauto.com. It's not worth screwing around with emulators for for that kind of money. Your fuel trim will never be right with an emulator and stock ECM.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:16 PM
kawa
Postmaster
Talking

[quote=BrockwayMT;9200625]

Yes it is but so it taking cigarettes across state lines.

I think the crime with the cigarettes is only if the transportation is to avoid paying taxes. All of which has absolutely nothing to do with he removal of the catalytic converter.

Rog

Old 08-09-2010, 06:49 PM
390Highboy
Senior User
Yes, I happen to know about the federal law thing. But I live in a hole in the road town where there is never any checks or emissions testing around here. I know that some people have used a spark plug non-fouler on the O2 sensor with good results on some vehicles, but I wasn't sure about these trucks. I know $200 doesn't sound like much money, but I simply dont have that much to spend on it. Would an aftermarket cheapie work?? I know summit has some for around $60.

Old 08-09-2010, 07:10 PM
jecsd1
Senior User
obd2 cats are different from obd1 cats. a cheapy will likely not work for long w/o problems. you will do more damage by removing it than you will by living with the noise. go get 4-6 two inch long self tapping screws and run them into the cat at different locations to secure the element until you can afford to fix it right!

Old 08-09-2010, 07:27 PM
Red2003XLT
Senior User
Amazon has a universal convertor that will fit your truck for $57

Old 08-10-2010, 10:21 AM
KhanTyranitar
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Look, first off, the cat failed for a reason. Chances are its not running right and you've overheated the cat as a result. Get a complete tuneup first, otherwise your new cat won't last very long.

Next, you need a cat that is really made for OBD-II systems. The simple fact of the matter is your are not going to find those cheap. If you put a cheap cat, it might work for a little while, but even with a properly tuned engine the cheap cats kick the bucket after a few months, maybe a year or two if you get lucky.

This is a good cat that will last.

Item Details

The reason the cheaper cats cost less than this one is they do not have the precious metal content, and they do not have the quality or the technology.

The non fouler trick alledgedly works by isolating the rear O2 sensor from the exhuast stream. The problem with the approach is while it produces a steady waveform, it also produces a low voltage. Low voltage equals high oxygen level equals non-functional converter equals your check engine light comes on.

Run without a cat, the engine will not scavenge properly. Without proper scavenging, your low end torque and fuel economy will be less than it could be.

I can't really tell you what you can and cannot do with your truck, but I have found in my experience with vehicles, that every single time I did something the wrong way because it was cheaper, it came back around and bit me. Anything from costing more to fix than doing it right the first time, something else breaking because the first thing wasn't right, or just having to do it again.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:32 AM
grandmas77f150
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know lots of guys that take cats of their Rangers without problems. It's your truck, go for it.

If you can get out of inspections (like I can) then you should be alright.

Old 08-10-2010, 01:27 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 963 Likes on 762 Posts
I'm not going to point the finger at anybody but there is a lot of bad info in this thread concerning the operation of the EFI system without the cat and rear O2 sensor. Bottom line is the motor will run perfectly fine without a cat as long as the front O2 sensor/s are in the exhaust and connected, the rear sensor has zero effect on engine operation it's just there to monitor catalytic effectiveness and trigger the CE light if the cat deteriorates, in other words it's a smog nanny. The rear sensor can also be replaced with an O2 simulator which should keep the CE light off.
For the record I don't condone removing the catalytic system, universal cats sized for this truck are cheap and can be swapped in relatively easily in most cases.. though some apps will require welding.

Old 08-11-2010, 02:29 PM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Conanski
I'm not going to point the finger at anybody but there is a lot of bad info in this thread concerning the operation of the EFI system without the cat and rear O2 sensor. Bottom line is the motor will run perfectly fine without a cat as long as the front O2 sensor/s are in the exhaust and connected, the rear sensor has zero effect on engine operation it's just there to monitor catalytic effectiveness and trigger the CE light if the cat deteriorates, in other words it's a smog nanny. The rear sensor can also be replaced with an O2 simulator which should keep the CE light off.
For the record I don't condone removing the catalytic system, universal cats sized for this truck are cheap and can be swapped in relatively easily in most cases.. though some apps will require welding.
Thanks for this info. I just broke that sensor behind the cat while taking the trans out. My CEL light is on and was wondering if it would hurt anything and reading these post, I started to worry about this. Where can I get a O2 simulator from?

Old 08-11-2010, 03:58 PM
KhanTyranitar
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You can't get a simulator from anywhere, they are illegal. Also to even make you you still need a functional sensor.

The least expensive and most reliable solution is to replace the cat after you figure out and repair what screwed it up in the first place.

If the cat is just rattling, leave it along for now and wait to you can afford to fix it right.

Old 08-11-2010, 04:05 PM
miggun
Junior User
I had removed the cat in my Dodge Ram V10 8.0 without any problems, but in Germany the laws are very hard and every 2 years the car go to the TÜV. If there are no cats in the car they forbid you to drive with the car! So I install 2 racing cats which don't retain the exhaust gases. The different between stock and the racing part is great!

Old 08-14-2010, 01:32 AM
amiprez
New User
Thumbs up

CAt Removal is NOT a Fedaral law... Its state law !!
I live in PA only certain county's require Emissions like Monroe does NOT there for you can run w/a test pipe and take out the cat !!
check your local county emissions ..96 will run fine w/test pipe...

Quick Reply: Can I remove the cat on a 96 Ranger 2.3 without problems??