Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drove F450 Today...Should I wait?

Old 08-08-2010, 12:32 AM
jaybread
Senior User
jaybread is starting off with a positive reputation.
Drove F450 Today...Should I wait?

I drove F450 built June, 2010, and really want it.

My 08 F350 DRW has been great, but the AC seats, LCD display, dead quiet motor, etc... are awesome.

I am just wondering about the new Job 2 flash, and if there might be more reasons to delay until after the new year, to see what else Ford might change?

Any thoughts?

Old 08-08-2010, 06:44 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.
You are correct about everything, the '11's are very desirable. I did'nt wait, the 10HP flash will be cool and I don't really think we need it but it will be avail. soon.

If you get the price you want I say go for it, might even be a small way to get some bargaining leverage. Tell 'em the job 2's are coming out so you'll take this junky job 1 off his hands.

Old 08-08-2010, 07:15 AM
senix
senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
There won't be an frame changes to the F450 with the job 2's.

The F350 dually is suppose to get a 1K bump in towing and some in payload. They are strengthing one of the crossmembers for that one.

Old 08-08-2010, 07:17 AM
rickatic
Postmaster
rickatic has a great reputation on FTE.rickatic has a great reputation on FTE.rickatic has a great reputation on FTE.rickatic has a great reputation on FTE.
I am sure happy with my new truck. If I found a truck I liked, I would not wait for a Job 2. Especially if I was buying a 450. The good dealers are having trouble keeping them in stock. Except for a minor fan clutch issue my new truck has been perfect. The more I drive it, the more I like it.

Regards

Old 08-08-2010, 10:45 AM
sammy77
Postmaster
sammy77 has a spectacular reputation.sammy77 has a spectacular reputation.sammy77 has a spectacular reputation.sammy77 has a spectacular reputation.sammy77 has a spectacular reputation.sammy77 has a spectacular reputation.sammy77 has a spectacular reputation.sammy77 has a spectacular reputation.sammy77 has a spectacular reputation.sammy77 has a spectacular reputation.sammy77 has a spectacular reputation.
Our F450 has 7k miles on it with ZERO issues thus far. It has 20k lbs hooked up to it all day long!! Very nice truck. Still waiting for those "much improved mpg's" though...

Old 08-08-2010, 03:45 PM
Troy Buenger
Postmaster
Troy Buenger is a splendid one to beholdTroy Buenger is a splendid one to beholdTroy Buenger is a splendid one to beholdTroy Buenger is a splendid one to beholdTroy Buenger is a splendid one to beholdTroy Buenger is a splendid one to beholdTroy Buenger is a splendid one to beholdTroy Buenger is a splendid one to behold
Unless your current truck is problematic, I wouldn't purchase a first model year. Why take a chance! I was convinced I was going to have to unload my 6.0 psd and purchase a 6.7, but buying a first model year made me very nervous.

Old 08-08-2010, 04:31 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
rickatic has a great reputation on FTE.rickatic has a great reputation on FTE.rickatic has a great reputation on FTE.rickatic has a great reputation on FTE.
Cmon Troy, jump in. The water is warm, the bottom sandy and the waves gentle...

Old 08-08-2010, 05:21 PM
Troy Buenger
Postmaster
Troy Buenger is a splendid one to beholdTroy Buenger is a splendid one to beholdTroy Buenger is a splendid one to beholdTroy Buenger is a splendid one to beholdTroy Buenger is a splendid one to beholdTroy Buenger is a splendid one to beholdTroy Buenger is a splendid one to beholdTroy Buenger is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by rickatic View Post
Cmon Troy, jump in. The water is warm, the bottom sandy and the waves gentle...
I know... That's usually how it starts out until the big bad storm comes up from behind you and slams you before you knew what hit you! My 6.0 oil leak is ok for now so I think I'm going to hand tight for a little bit.

I guess these 6.7's are oil drip free so far?

A few things got me concerned:
1. Injector pumps knocking noise (Ford saying its normal, but investigating)
2. Oil drain plug
3. Ford has already improved power and fuel economy by 2% after about 6 months (which is a good thing).

Old 08-08-2010, 05:46 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Troy

Then you go surfing

The new power was not only inevitable but expected. Ford designed the engine with reserves to combat one upmanship. They have already floated some trial ballons that there is more, maybe...

I have not heard any of the techs or other people in the know discuss this injector pump issue you mention, I am interested. Where did you hear about it?

I have heard some talk about the new oil plug but I think it is a tempest in a teapot. I watched the diesel tech do my oil change. He was quite impressed with the new quarter turn plug. He was not impressed when the oil shot over the top of his drain feet and hit the floor 4 feet away. It looks like it will work just fine. I would like to see a Fumoto developed though for my own service work.

I have 2 questions for you. Do you think there were any similarities in the development programs and design goals for the new 6.7 and the previous 2 Navistar engines? Do you think the 6.7 was rushed to market without proper vetting like the 6.0 was?

Regards

Old 08-08-2010, 06:00 PM
senix
senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
I don't like the drain plug either. Looks problematic to me.

I hear of a few that have quirks with the programming for the trans. Stuff like putting it in drive and having nothing. Shut truck off, restart and you are fine.

I'd wait a bit yet.

Old 08-08-2010, 06:13 PM
Troy Buenger
Postmaster
Originally Posted by rickatic View Post
Troy

Then you go surfing

The new power was not only inevitable but expected. Ford designed the engine with reserves to combat one upmanship. They have already floated some trial ballons that there is more, maybe...

I have not heard any of the techs or other people in the know discuss this injector pump issue you mention, I am interested. Where did you hear about it?

I have heard some talk about the new oil plug but I think it is a tempest in a teapot. I watched the diesel tech do my oil change. He was quite impressed with the new quarter turn plug. He was not impressed when the oil shot over the top of his drain feet and hit the floor 4 feet away. It looks like it will work just fine. I would like to see a Fumoto developed though for my own service work.

I have 2 questions for you. Do you think there were any similarities in the development programs and design goals for the new 6.7 and the previous 2 Navistar engines? Do you think the 6.7 was rushed to market without proper vetting like the 6.0 was?

Regards
wierd ticking noise - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Also one 6.7 owner has reported oil venting out of the dip stick and spraying oil on the engine.

I don't know what where the design goals for the 6.0/6.4 (other than emission compliance & hp/torque & B50 which alot trucks won't make) but I'm sure the 6.7 goals was to address the issues from the 2 previous engines and the develpment program new this was a do or die project for the future of the Super Duty product.

Ford had to develop the 6.7 in a very agressive rate which doesn't mean the design goals weren't met, but I do believe to a certain degree the customer is the test bed for new products. Thats what we call continuous improvements!

Old 08-08-2010, 06:23 PM
MyFordSTX
Junior User
MyFordSTX is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Troy Buenger View Post
Unless your current truck is problematic, I wouldn't purchase a first model year. Why take a chance! I was convinced I was going to have to unload my 6.0 psd and purchase a 6.7, but buying a first model year made me very nervous.
first model year quirks are a thing of the past Troy. my '09 F150 STX was ABSOLUTELY reliable. not a single thing even loosened or wore down. 23k kilometers and not even a rattle.

Old 08-08-2010, 07:06 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Troy,

Thanks for the link. I read the whole 2 pages. It seems to me Ford has addressed the question. This engine is so quiet I am sure guys are hearing things they never heard before. I do not understand the oil plug fears. It is a posi lock(my term) quarter turn plug. You really can not overtorque it. Well, you could by why would you. It is a composite plug which mates with a composite pan. I am truly interested in the failures that are being worried over. Maybe I am missing something. I have not heard of the tranny programming issues. Maybe Cheezit can sneak up here and let us know what he is hearing on the tech hotlines. In the only dipstick flying incident I heard about the owner said he had it happen one time right after he had checked the oil. He said he may not have seated the dipstick fully as it had not happened again.

Regards

Old 08-08-2010, 07:16 PM
Troy Buenger
Postmaster
Originally Posted by MyFordSTX View Post
first model year quirks are a thing of the past Troy. my '09 F150 STX was ABSOLUTELY reliable. not a single thing even loosened or wore down. 23k kilometers and not even a rattle.
MyFordSTX,

What model year did Ford prevent first model quirks from occurring with the customer? For the 150 world look how long it took Ford to correct the spark plug spitting out of the heads problem, and the cam phasers, I'm not sure are really fixed! Yes the 09 F150 were pretty trouble free, but there's not one single ground up new engine in it's lineup!

Old 08-08-2010, 09:42 PM
Scorpion67
Elder User
Scorpion67 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
@jaybread, you know all 2011's (except chassis cabs) are eligible for the power upgrade right? From Sept 1, 2010 all 2011 Super Duty owners can get the 400/800 power upgrade at the Ford dealer. So job 2 won't change anything except an additional cross member on the F350 DRW. Everything else is the same I believe. Hopefully the word on the free power upgrade gets around, because it will only be free for 12 months apparently.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Drove F450 Today...Should I wait?

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: