Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drove F450 Today...Should I wait?

Old 08-08-2010, 09:49 PM
jaybread
Senior User
jaybread is starting off with a positive reputation.
Drove it again today--

I went over with a friend to see it again.
I let him drive my 08 DRW to the dealer, then he drove the F450 on my test loop.

He could hardly talk due to smiling all the time. This could be the week I pull the trigger.
Only a bad trade in will stop me.

I do need to check out the seats on an F250-350 with the buckets and not the bench to see if they are more comfortable. I may order an F450 if I need to get the buckets with the AC option.

Thanks for all the info, it is helping...

Old 08-09-2010, 06:17 AM
blueheron
Junior User
blueheron is starting off with a positive reputation.
Getting hte Word Around

Originally Posted by Scorpion67 View Post
@jaybread, you know all 2011's (except chassis cabs) are eligible for the power upgrade right? From Sept 1, 2010 all 2011 Super Duty owners can get the 400/800 power upgrade at the Ford dealer. So job 2 won't change anything except an additional cross member on the F350 DRW. Everything else is the same I believe. Hopefully the word on the free power upgrade gets around, because it will only be free for 12 months apparently.
The word should get around since Ford is sending a letter to all owners.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:54 AM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
EpicCowlick has a brilliant futureEpicCowlick has a brilliant futureEpicCowlick has a brilliant futureEpicCowlick has a brilliant futureEpicCowlick has a brilliant futureEpicCowlick has a brilliant futureEpicCowlick has a brilliant futureEpicCowlick has a brilliant futureEpicCowlick has a brilliant futureEpicCowlick has a brilliant futureEpicCowlick has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by rickatic View Post
In the only dipstick flying incident I heard about the owner said he had it happen one time right after he had checked the oil. He said he may not have seated the dipstick fully as it had not happened again.

Regards
That was me and no, it has not happened again since I have been very careful to fully seat the dipstick. Towed at full power several times since then and no repeat of the blow-out. There was another guy who had a dipstick blowout but that was due to the oil being way overfilled by a dealer. The bad dipstick design fears are not being realized.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:00 AM
rickatic
Postmaster
rickatic has a great reputation on FTE.rickatic has a great reputation on FTE.rickatic has a great reputation on FTE.rickatic has a great reputation on FTE.
It is situations like Epic's dipstick story that make this site so important. It is more important to Ford than they probably understand. Epic posts his flying dipstick issue here to get feedback from peers. The issue turns out to be isolated and according to Epic, very likely operator error. It hits the internet and becomes a potential "the sky is falling" catastrophe. If any one wants to witness stupidity and brand prejudice run rampant just go to Rv.net and look in the tow vehicle section. I am thankful for this site. It provides excellent information, great product feedback and answers for the important questions we all seem to have from time to time. I need a bigger fuel tank, any answers that are not over $1000.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:40 AM
nitrogen
Posting Guru
nitrogen has a superb reputationnitrogen has a superb reputationnitrogen has a superb reputationnitrogen has a superb reputationnitrogen has a superb reputationnitrogen has a superb reputationnitrogen has a superb reputationnitrogen has a superb reputationnitrogen has a superb reputationnitrogen has a superb reputationnitrogen has a superb reputation
these trucks have been in customers hands for 5 months now, and in reality there has not been a single major problem. by that I mean a problem that is affecting a significant sample of the trucks built. if it hasn't reared its head yet to me its looking pretty safe. the 6.0 and 6.4 never made it anywheres near this amount of time andthey were falling apart all over the place. if i needed a new truck to replace my almost paid for,warranty over, getting ready to mod 05 i wouldn't hesitate to buy 1 today

Old 08-09-2010, 11:16 AM
rickatic
Postmaster
rickatic has a great reputation on FTE.rickatic has a great reputation on FTE.rickatic has a great reputation on FTE.rickatic has a great reputation on FTE.
I have the same opinion as Nitrogen. I had some dialog with Cheezit last night. He has seen almost no problems period. A repair here and there but only one major failure. He also has said the tech hotline is very quiet about 6.7 issues so far. Gee, why did I have to be the guy with the faulty fan clutch...

Still very happy with the new truck.

Regards

Old 08-09-2010, 11:25 AM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
EpicCowlick has a brilliant futureEpicCowlick has a brilliant futureEpicCowlick has a brilliant futureEpicCowlick has a brilliant futureEpicCowlick has a brilliant futureEpicCowlick has a brilliant futureEpicCowlick has a brilliant futureEpicCowlick has a brilliant futureEpicCowlick has a brilliant futureEpicCowlick has a brilliant futureEpicCowlick has a brilliant future
Gee, why did I have to be the guy with the faulty fan clutch...
LOL. Because you're a reasonable, big-picture kind of guy. Didn't you know that when you order a truck, Ford performs a psychological background check and sends the defective trucks for the good guys? They know you'll take it like a man. Screamers are too much work so they get the prime trucks.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:50 PM
Front Runner
Elder User
Front Runner has a superb reputationFront Runner has a superb reputationFront Runner has a superb reputationFront Runner has a superb reputationFront Runner has a superb reputationFront Runner has a superb reputationFront Runner has a superb reputationFront Runner has a superb reputationFront Runner has a superb reputationFront Runner has a superb reputationFront Runner has a superb reputation
I think it's too early to call the 6.7 on the reliability issue. The trucks just started rolling out 4 months ago & I havent heard of one single 6.7 owner who has over 10000 miles on their truck. Even if one 2011 owner has 10000 miles the truck is still no more that 6 months old so I think the "newness" is still there with many owners and the fact the Ford seems to be really stepping up to the plate when issues arise to correct the problem and keep customers happy. Therefore customers are less willing to come on forums like this and complain about how Ford is trying to stiff them. It's not just the mechanical issues that have pissed people off in the past but it was also bad public relations on Ford's part.

Like I stated in another forum I am glad to see them working hard to keep their customers happy but what would have happened if they would have been trying to do that over the last couple of years with previous model trucks and engines?

If they had done that they wouldnt have to do damage control with this new truck and engine because of the hits that the super duty image has taken in the last couple of years.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:47 PM
Chep
Senior User
Chep is starting off with a positive reputation.
Front Runner: I have a buddy who had an 11 in his dealership last month with 15000kms, roughly 10000 miles. No problems what so ever and the owner was very happy with the truck. This truck had been across Canada from Ontario to BC and was in for an oil change only. As for the customer service issues with the 6.0 and 6.4, my opinion is that was just a big friggin blame game by Ford and Navistar that had led us to where we are now and unfortunately the consumer was the loser on that one. It is looking like we are now the winners on this new engine, so far.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:54 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
I do not think anyone has called the deal. I have said that it is early. I am pleased that there have been very few repairs noted here and elsewhere I hang out. The last two engines were already having big trouble by now. I , however, have not seen where Ford has needed to step up to a plate with anyone for public relations purposes with this engine. Even counting the anecdotal stuff that has never been verified, there have been very few problems.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:56 PM
Scorpion67
Elder User
Scorpion67 has a good reputation on FTE.Scorpion67 has a good reputation on FTE.
Remember Ford didn't make the previous PowerStrokes. They did produce some very reliable and high tech European diesels while they were waiting to get out this Navistar contract though.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:23 AM
Front Runner
Elder User
Front Runner has a superb reputationFront Runner has a superb reputationFront Runner has a superb reputationFront Runner has a superb reputationFront Runner has a superb reputationFront Runner has a superb reputationFront Runner has a superb reputationFront Runner has a superb reputationFront Runner has a superb reputationFront Runner has a superb reputationFront Runner has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Chep View Post
Front Runner: I have a buddy who had an 11 in his dealership last month with 15000kms, roughly 10000 miles. No problems what so ever and the owner was very happy with the truck. This truck had been across Canada from Ontario to BC and was in for an oil change only. As for the customer service issues with the 6.0 and 6.4, my opinion is that was just a big friggin blame game by Ford and Navistar that had led us to where we are now and unfortunately the consumer was the loser on that one. It is looking like we are now the winners on this new engine, so far.

Good to see your buddy"s truck is running well. I hope that continues. I agree the customer was the loser when being caught in the middle of the dispute between Ford and Navistar.

The reliablity issue is still to early to call. Not enough units on the road yet with miles and time.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:30 AM
Front Runner
Elder User
The last two engines were already having big trouble by now. I , however, have not seen where Ford has needed to step up to a plate with anyone for public relations purposes with this engine. Even counting the anecdotal stuff that has never been verified, there have been very few problems.

Not so, if my memory serves me correct the 6.0 / 6.4 were not having big problems after being out for 4 months. Once again the newness was still there, and not many miles had been racked up.

Ford is going above and beyond to correct problems with this new truck, (which is a good thing I add). The bad PR that Ford had developed with the 6.0 / 6.4 is pushing the blame on the customer or just being extremely hard to deal with when "honest" warranty repairs came up. Word from negative incidents like this traveled very fast among Ford's superduty customer base and that's where the negative impressions were formed.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:50 AM
Front Runner
Elder User
Originally Posted by Scorpion67 View Post
Remember Ford didn't make the previous PowerStrokes. They did produce some very reliable and high tech European diesels while they were waiting to get out this Navistar contract though.
Correct, but they did have a hand in the development in the 6.0 / 6.4 when it applied to Ford's applications. As they did the 7.3. So Ford is not off the hook. They took some of the credit for the success of the 7.3, so they must also accept some of the blame for the 6.0 & 6.4

Look, I'm hoping for good success for the 2011 Super Duty for many reasons, but I'm also a realist. When large american companies like Ford do well it boosts the american image abroad.

But in the days of extreme tuning how is Ford going to deal with it?? Yes, the 6.0 & 6.4 had it's downsides and their share of problems w/o being tuned but when tuned the issues / problems increased exponentially which also added to the label of powerstrokes being unreliable.

So alot remains to be seen.................. but so far so good.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:12 AM
rickatic
Postmaster
I believe the incorrectly torqued head bolt issues were very early. The ambulance debacle was also early. I do agree with your last statement "So alot remains to be seen.................. but so far so good."

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Drove F450 Today...Should I wait?

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: