Sponsored by:

What did you do to the X today?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 12:25 PM
ShelbyHauler
Laughing Gas
Received 497 Likes on 147 Posts
Originally Posted by Flyboy1100
Thank you. Using that part# I found: Genuine Oem Ford E4TZ-4676-A Auto Trans Pinion Seal E4TZ4676A for $6.25 shipped. Will be here on the 8th.

Old 01-01-2019, 03:44 PM
Y2KW57
Received 3,341 Likes on 1,749 Posts
Originally Posted by 01__Excursion
The material is masticated rubber. This was the only place that I found that offered the OE spec.
Masticated eh? Ever wondered who or what chewed it?

What do they do, scatter a bunch of old tires out in a cow pasture, let the bovines do their thing, and collect the cow patties at the end of the day and put them through a roller?

I hope you're wearing gloves.

REPS to you for the idea, the identification of the material, and for the follow up with links when asked. Your contributions to FTE are one reason why people find this place, and then make their contributions. Thank you.

Now, do you think maybe it was horses? I understand that horses have more teeth. Probably less processing time, don't you think?

Old 01-01-2019, 04:00 PM
Matt M, PA
Fleet Mechanic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 01__Excursion
The material is masticated rubber. This was the only place that I found that offered the OE spec.
Thank You!!

Old 01-01-2019, 04:56 PM
unleashd
Fleet Mechanic
Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts
Installed Hellwig sway control bars for the rear axle and replaced the steering wheel stabilizer. Both were sitting in the garage storage waiting for ~2 months to be installed Weather on this New Year's day has been awesome. Figured I should get these installed. Took me about 3 hours for both.

Old 01-01-2019, 08:16 PM
01__Excursion
Cargo Master
Received 294 Likes on 232 Posts
Originally Posted by Y2KW57
Masticated eh? Ever wondered who or what chewed it?

What do they do, scatter a bunch of old tires out in a cow pasture, let the bovines do their thing, and collect the cow patties at the end of the day and put them through a roller?

I hope you're wearing gloves.

REPS to you for the idea, the identification of the material, and for the follow up with links when asked. Your contributions to FTE are one reason why people find this place, and then make their contributions. Thank you.

Now, do you think maybe it was horses? I understand that horses have more teeth. Probably less processing time, don't you think?
Thanks, I'm just here doing my thing, and airing it out for everyone to see. Things like deteriorated splash guards and such just don't fly with me.

Old 01-02-2019, 06:04 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 822 Likes on 568 Posts
Originally Posted by ShelbyHauler
What I don't get, is why you are so worried about how much I will pay for the part, when my question was, which part. I do not go to my local Ford dealership. Most of the people there do not speak English, and I have been overcharged by them in the past. If I knew the right part, I might order it from Rock Auto, I might order it from Tasca Ford. But honestly, where I purchase the part from is not of your concern. I will thank you for your lack of help and be done with you.
Really? Sean did provide a link to his "How to" thread that includes the Motorcraft part number for the Sterling rear, both 4X4 and RWD share the same rear axles. If you consider that a "lack of help" then I'm not really sure what you would consider "helpful".

Old 01-02-2019, 06:58 AM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Received 214 Likes on 144 Posts
Ok I have a vague question. My sister has a 2000 7.3l Ex with 350K + on it and dealers have been doing the work. She is worried because they told her the cooling system is shot or there is a coolant issue. She wants to find another Ex because of this (good luck finding one). I have told her to take it to an independent and get away from the dealers. Do the 7.3l from 2000 have cavitation erosion like the IDIs did? I am hopeful the problems are radiator/water pump related. I am just looking for advise and knowledge before talking to her again

Old 01-02-2019, 07:09 AM
jdw1
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Drove the 2000 X 1000 miles in the last two days and was never more than 250 miles from home! Between Xmas travel and New Years concerts (The Blues Brothers) and party’s.
New tires last Monday(Xmas eve)and had to install a bell tensioner yesterday before we left the house, coming up on 310’000!

Old 01-02-2019, 08:06 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 277 Likes on 140 Posts
Originally Posted by Excurvelle
Ok I have a vague question. My sister has a 2000 7.3l Ex with 350K + on it and dealers have been doing the work. She is worried because they told her the cooling system is shot or there is a coolant issue. She wants to find another Ex because of this (good luck finding one). I have told her to take it to an independent and get away from the dealers. Do the 7.3l from 2000 have cavitation erosion like the IDIs did? I am hopeful the problems are radiator/water pump related. I am just looking for advise and knowledge before talking to her again
Sound piece of advice to get away from the dealer. They don't know these trucks anymore and are just taking shots in the dark. Back in their heyday, the 7.3 was well known and they could have your truck properly diagnosed and fixed in no time. Several engine generations later, the techs aren't as sharp on these trucks as they used to be.

Rudolph now has 472K on him and was bought new with 50 miles August 27th, 2001. In that time, I haven't had a problem with the cooling system other than hoses needing to be replaced, the original radiator cracking in 2015, and the water pump failing from age or the incorrect coolant.

The 7.3 has a VERY robust and over built cooling system, the only reason it over heats is because the thermostat failed closed, you simply ran the truck out of coolant, or the fan clutch failed. Even then, you REALLY have to try to get it to overheat.The DI 7.3 doesn't have cavitation issues unless you simply don't maintain the cooling system. Green coolant stayed in my cooling system until 2010 when I switched to Ford premium gold. The green stuff kept eating water pumps every two years right on the money. As soon as I switched to Gold and then Red ELC, I haven't had a problem with the pump failing. The only time it failed is because pressure was building in the cooling system from a leak.

Old 01-02-2019, 09:03 AM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Received 214 Likes on 144 Posts
Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel
Sound piece of advice to get away from the dealer. They don't know these trucks anymore and are just taking shots in the dark. Back in their heyday, the 7.3 was well known and they could have your truck properly diagnosed and fixed in no time. Several engine generations later, the techs aren't as sharp on these trucks as they used to be.

Rudolph now has 472K on him and was bought new with 50 miles August 27th, 2001. In that time, I haven't had a problem with the cooling system other than hoses needing to be replaced, the original radiator cracking in 2015, and the water pump failing from age or the incorrect coolant.

The 7.3 has a VERY robust and over built cooling system, the only reason it over heats is because the thermostat failed closed, you simply ran the truck out of coolant, or the fan clutch failed. Even then, you REALLY have to try to get it to overheat.The DI 7.3 doesn't have cavitation issues unless you simply don't maintain the cooling system. Green coolant stayed in my cooling system until 2010 when I switched to Ford premium gold. The green stuff kept eating water pumps every two years right on the money. As soon as I switched to Gold and then Red ELC, I haven't had a problem with the pump failing. The only time it failed is because pressure was building in the cooling system from a leak.
Thanks TD..Too late, I just found out that she took it to the dealer yesterday, she thinks it is the radiator. I gave her the name of my independent. I relayed everything from your post to her. She loves the truck, it just needs some love.

Old 01-02-2019, 01:10 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 929 Likes on 677 Posts
Originally Posted by WE3ZS
Sean did provide a link to his "How to" thread that includes the Motorcraft part number for the Sterling rear, both 4X4 and RWD share the same rear axles.
No biggie Tom, I should have just posted the pic of the Ford part # from the thread. Will do so next time.

Old 01-02-2019, 01:41 PM
ShelbyHauler
Laughing Gas
Received 497 Likes on 147 Posts
Originally Posted by WE3ZS
Really? Sean did provide a link to his "How to" thread that includes the Motorcraft part number for the Sterling rear, both 4X4 and RWD share the same rear axles. If you consider that a "lack of help" then I'm not really sure what you would consider "helpful".
Originally Posted by wpnaes

No biggie Tom, I should have just posted the pic of the Ford part # from the thread. Will do so next time.
Sean, your post did not say that the 2x4 (mine) and the 4x4 (which you were doing) had the same rear from 2000 to 2004. And as I was being provided options, 10.25" and 10.50". There could have been a difference for all I knew. In my original request, I did state I was looking for the part # for the 2x4. You could have simply said the 2000 4x4 pinion seal is the same as the 2004 2x4 pinion seal and is the same part in your thread, instead of getting all snippy about me searching for, where I was purchasing from, and how much I was paying for the seal. Again, I thank all involved for what help was provided and I will not perpetuate this particular topic any further. Feel free to comment/say what you must, but I did get the FORD part that was suggested, though different than the one in Sean's thread. It could just be a superseded part #, and I got it for less than 1/2 of what Sean stated he paid. Though as mentioned, price is not always a factor when getting a quality part, but I do always look for a good deal.

Old 01-02-2019, 01:55 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 929 Likes on 677 Posts
That’s great news, sorry I wasn’t of more help.

Old 01-02-2019, 04:42 PM
Sevendog7
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I put new OEM recommended, road force balanced, 16 inch tires on her OEM slotted mag rims. Changer her oil at 156K miles, new air filter and washed and waxed her.

Keeping her in pristine, stock condition. She is such a good girl! I talk to her ya know, she treats me right and I return the favor.

Next, I am going to flush the tranny, replace the filter and follow the advice of this forum as I have always been taught not to change the fluid of a high mileage transmission. Gunna trust this forum, why? Because I don't know everything and you guys have a lot more Ex experience than I do.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
01 Excursion V10 165K miles / 92 F250 7.5L (man) 315K miles / 2011 F-150 5.0 100,100 Miles / 2011 fusion 136K miles FORDS ROCK!!!

Old 01-02-2019, 08:17 PM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
The Seat Shop has a special...

Ordered the full front row for the EXPY, and I got $125 off.

Last edited by Nicmike; 01-03-2019 at 04:32 PM. Reason: clarification of deal being offered

Quick Reply: What did you do to the X today?