What did you do to the X today?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 03:56 AM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by AlaskanEx
as they say... opinions are like *******s everyone has one haha

only real time it stays outside is the 8 hours at work a day. when i go in the garage in the morning most if not all of the runoff that came off the truck is dry. ofcourse our winter air is soooo dry your going to see condensation you will see the same if you get in and take off. your windows will ice up from the inside due to breathing.

that said, i've never noticed any significant amount of moisture inside or out when pulling out/in or there after.

the were talking about the garage trapping condensation due to the melting making for a humid enviroment inside the garage

Old 10-12-2011, 06:03 AM
Jigger2020
FTE Legend
Received 5,139 Likes on 1,684 Posts
I always have my trucks under coated with Rust Check, it helps alot

Old 10-12-2011, 07:12 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by b-uno
Parking on grass or dirt or melting snow or ice is a big no no for undercarriages, i think if its in the garage long enough to dry it completely then it would be good, but still you go from 70 to below freezing in a matter of seconds when you pull out so the condensation on interior door panels and inside the body has got to be signifigant.

Garage vs Outside - Car Talk

"Parking in a heated garage will accelerate the rusting process, so I would advise against putting a car in a heated garage. "

I have lots of experience with rust so I will tell you my opinion.

I agree 100% with the parking over grass, water, ice, dirt, etc. I have seen it destroy my 89 first hand! The grass makes a cool damp environment under the vehicle constantly which keep the vehicle wet all the time. BAD!

The salt: "Sigh...." What I see happening in winter is the newer liquid salt gets in everywhere in a vehicle! Your vehicle may as well be dipped in a salt bath if you drive in winter. Where the salt/water mix runs to in the vehicle is areas that the factory did not coat with anything. In all the cracks, nooks, holes, between panels, in panels, etc., you name it or can think it the salt finds it. Now if that wasn't bad enough that the salt is everywhere in your vehicle but add heat expanding cracks, sealant, panel joints, etc. Also melting any frozen water and letting it run down to more places. All this stuff added up = junk vehicle. The constant heating and cooling of a vehicle when using a heated garage in winter just puts the vehicle threw this process over and over again all threw winter. Putting salt in areas that even car washes won't get it out. Then once it hits those spots not coated with anything much like the bottom inside of the doors of super duties or the rear wheel wells where ford only put great stuff it starts rust, instantly! Once the rust starts its all over, the rust holds salt, rust expands joints letting in more salt, and its all downhill.

Now leaving a vehicle in the cold helps some against these problems but the rust is still inevitable. What happens when leaving a vehicle out in the cold all winter is lots of places like the bottom of the doors, nooks, crack, and joints, get snowpack in them or ice over blocking some salt out from the exposed areas. Never thawing out this snowpack or ice by leaving the vehicle outside all the time helps it keep that ice barrier most of the winter. All the joints, crack, nooks stay shrunk and never open up or expand when left outside in the cold all the time.

Anyhow, you drive something in the winter on salted roads it will rust apart. That is why I drive junk in winter and store the nice things away. I am very tempted to send the bill for a new car to my state because my last one rusted away because of their salting. I didn't ask for salt, I can drive threw snow just fine, quit ruining my vehicles! Makes me so angry! I have to stop now before I get out of hand.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:13 AM
Jigger2020
FTE Legend
Well said Snow, I hate salt too & I love Rust Check under coating

Old 10-12-2011, 11:35 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 275 Likes on 138 Posts
In commoration of 10 years and 322,000 trouble-free, "never left me on the side of the road" miles: I called Clay at Riffraff and ordered her some of these: Riffraff Diesel: Stage 1 Single Shot Injectors

I almost as excited as the the day I got her new!!!!!!

Once I get paid, I'll order some of this stuff to get her and the fleet ready for winter: http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...roduct_Count=2 AND http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...roduct_Count=7

Old 10-12-2011, 11:52 AM
TXtinct
You'll shoot your eye out

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's pretty cool... I want.

Old 10-12-2011, 12:29 PM
beefcake
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sold it......

Old 10-12-2011, 12:33 PM
TXtinct

Originally Posted by beefcake
sold it......
Congrats...

Old 10-12-2011, 01:45 PM
TXtinct

Tried to figure out how to take this off, no luck.

Old 10-12-2011, 02:18 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
i think it comes off from inside the rear hatch panel

Old 10-12-2011, 03:14 PM
jasonodsky
Fleet Mechanic
Received 154 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by TXtinct
Tried to figure out how to take this off, no luck.
Remove lower interior trim on the liftgate
Disconnect the latch arm from inside (little green lock holding the arm)
Remove lock assembly
Remove 6 or 8 nuts holding the part from the inside of the liftgate

Here is a linky to my backup camera install that notes the steps and has some picutres.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post10408744

Old 10-12-2011, 03:43 PM
TXtinct

Originally Posted by jasonodsky
Remove lower interior trim on the liftgate
Disconnect the latch arm from inside (little green lock holding the arm)
Remove lock assembly
Remove 6 or 8 nuts holding the part from the inside of the liftgate

Here is a linky to my backup camera install that notes the steps and has some picutres.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post10408744

You rock!!! Tried to rep you but couldn't... So here you go...

Old 10-12-2011, 03:48 PM
Jigger2020
FTE Legend
Thats ok TX, I repped Jason for ya.................

Old 10-12-2011, 04:41 PM
gr8scott72
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just changed the oil and flushed the transfer case. Refilled the transfer case with just over 2 quarts of Mobile 1 ATF.

Getting her ready for a 1500 mile round trip from Jackson MS to Chicago IL starting on Sunday. Heading back up there for work and the wife wants to go with me this time.

Old 10-12-2011, 04:48 PM
fordboy67
Cargo Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowseeker
I have lots of experience with rust so I will tell you my opinion.

I agree 100% with the parking over grass, water, ice, dirt, etc. I have seen it destroy my 89 first hand! The grass makes a cool damp environment under the vehicle constantly which keep the vehicle wet all the time. BAD!

The salt: "Sigh...." What I see happening in winter is the newer liquid salt gets in everywhere in a vehicle! Your vehicle may as well be dipped in a salt bath if you drive in winter. Where the salt/water mix runs to in the vehicle is areas that the factory did not coat with anything. In all the cracks, nooks, holes, between panels, in panels, etc., you name it or can think it the salt finds it. Now if that wasn't bad enough that the salt is everywhere in your vehicle but add heat expanding cracks, sealant, panel joints, etc. Also melting any frozen water and letting it run down to more places. All this stuff added up = junk vehicle. The constant heating and cooling of a vehicle when using a heated garage in winter just puts the vehicle threw this process over and over again all threw winter. Putting salt in areas that even car washes won't get it out. Then once it hits those spots not coated with anything much like the bottom inside of the doors of super duties or the rear wheel wells where ford only put great stuff it starts rust, instantly! Once the rust starts its all over, the rust holds salt, rust expands joints letting in more salt, and its all downhill.

Now leaving a vehicle in the cold helps some against these problems but the rust is still inevitable. What happens when leaving a vehicle out in the cold all winter is lots of places like the bottom of the doors, nooks, crack, and joints, get snowpack in them or ice over blocking some salt out from the exposed areas. Never thawing out this snowpack or ice by leaving the vehicle outside all the time helps it keep that ice barrier most of the winter. All the joints, crack, nooks stay shrunk and never open up or expand when left outside in the cold all the time.

Anyhow, you drive something in the winter on salted roads it will rust apart. That is why I drive junk in winter and store the nice things away. I am very tempted to send the bill for a new car to my state because my last one rusted away because of their salting. I didn't ask for salt, I can drive threw snow just fine, quit ruining my vehicles! Makes me so angry! I have to stop now before I get out of hand.

Living next door to ya here in MN, I agree with you 100%. My father-in-law actually DID send the state of MN a bill, for rust repair on his Super Duty. They sent him a nice little rejection letter stating something about safer road conditions bla bla bla

Quick Reply: What did you do to the X today?