Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to the X today?

Old 09-16-2012, 10:58 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
i took mine out to run across town but i also checked out to see what if any damage this latest wind storm brought. nothing at my house but there is power outages, flooding, downed trees across town.

took this heading up the hill on a back road.
9/16/12 wind/rain storm, Anchorage, AK - YouTube

Old 09-16-2012, 11:06 PM
Karlsgems
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
[QUOTE=AlaskanEx;12278547

took this heading up the hill on a back road.[/QUOTE]

The soundtrack on your video was hilarious. Sorry about the weather, tho. That is NOT funny. At least no power outage this time.

Karl

Old 09-16-2012, 11:09 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
I know perfect song right...thanks Carrie Underwood haha! luckily i did not loose any power or have any trees down.

Old 09-17-2012, 06:03 AM
Jigger2020
FTE Legend
Received 5,131 Likes on 1,682 Posts
SF thx for the info..

AL X glad you made out OK this time

Old 09-17-2012, 07:25 AM
fordboy67
Cargo Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Washed up my X yesterday, and of course woke up this morning to rain

Old 09-17-2012, 07:45 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 275 Likes on 138 Posts
Replaced the belt on mine, it hadn't been replaced since 2008 and needed it bad after looking at it.

I also replaced the (somehow) leaking Engine Coolant Temp sensor. I went to O'reilly and bought the more expensive of the two only to find that it doesn't work.

It turned out the cheaper of the two available sensors is the one for the dash gauge and the more expensive one is for the PCM.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:05 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel
Replaced the belt on mine, it hadn't been replaced since 2008 and needed it bad after looking at it.

I also replaced the (somehow) leaking Engine Coolant Temp sensor. I went to O'reilly and bought the more expensive of the two only to find that it doesn't work.

It turned out the cheaper of the two available sensors is the one for the dash gauge and the more expensive one is for the PCM.

I could never figure out why vehicle manufacturers use two sensors for the same fluid like mentioned instead of just one. I mean if you are looking for places to save money, weight, and complexity wouldn't reducing multiple sensors be a good one?

One sensor for the PCM/ECU/EFI unit and then from there the electronic engine control unit can send a signal to the gauge or whatnot. Same with radiator fans, why not just use the PCM sensor that is already there and have the PCM trigger a relay to turn the fans on. Not a whole extra wire, relay, sensor system.

Old 09-17-2012, 02:13 PM
Stebs
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Snowseeker
I could never figure out why vehicle manufacturers use two sensors for the same fluid like mentioned instead of just one. I mean if you are looking for places to save money, weight, and complexity wouldn't reducing multiple sensors be a good one?

One sensor for the PCM/ECU/EFI unit and then from there the electronic engine control unit can send a signal to the gauge or whatnot. Same with radiator fans, why not just use the PCM sensor that is already there and have the PCM trigger a relay to turn the fans on. Not a whole extra wire, relay, sensor system.
Im guessing redundency... Lets say your PCM sensor goes out. You still have the guage one to tell you when you're ok and when you're overheating. Then again lets say your guage one goes out, you still have a good one feeding info to the PCM.

Old 09-17-2012, 02:45 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
boring storm forsure.

Old 09-17-2012, 03:47 PM
Nosedive1
Junior User
Installed power/heated/signal towing mirrors in place of the paddle mirrors and did the 6.0L tranny cooler upgrade. She's really ready to tow now

Old 09-17-2012, 08:54 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Stebs
Im guessing redundency... Lets say your PCM sensor goes out. You still have the guage one to tell you when you're ok and when you're overheating. Then again lets say your guage one goes out, you still have a good one feeding info to the PCM.

Well if there was just one sensor for the PCM and gauge I guess you would know by the gauge when that one sensor is bad.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:38 PM
king-david
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pulled mine into the driveway... Finally took off the junk yard paint letters on the window.... Tried and tried and tried to get the tow hitch loose. I guess it's fire to the rescue.

Old 09-17-2012, 11:07 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 275 Likes on 138 Posts
Originally Posted by king-david
Pulled mine into the driveway... Finally took off the junk yard paint letters on the window.... Tried and tried and tried to get the tow hitch loose. I guess it's fire to the rescue.
That and some penetraing oil....PB Blaster works best when you let it sit for a few hours.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:00 AM
AndrewWV
Senior User
Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel
That and some penetraing oil....PB Blaster works best when you let it sit for a few hours.
(bold mine)

I've heard PB Blaster recommended a lot, and had pretty good results with it myself, so I was surprised by some test results I found posted at FIFTH AVENUE. (I found that link in a thread on Penetrating Oil Test - Bob Is The Oil Guy.) According to this test, PB Blaster was only slightly better than WD-40 for loosening rusty bolts.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:10 AM
WADE MMT/PSD
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by AndrewWV
(bold mine)

I've heard PB Blaster recommended a lot, and had pretty good results with it myself, so I was surprised by some test results I found posted at FIFTH AVENUE. (I found that link in a thread on Penetrating Oil Test - Bob Is The Oil Guy.) According to this test, PB Blaster was only slightly better than WD-40 for loosening rusty bolts.
WOW!!! That is interesting. I've always used the PB because A it works and B it seems easier to spray into tough places (and I can see it creep). I have been hearing Kroil mentioned more and more in variouse threads for all manner of applications. If I come across it one of these days, I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the info Andrew, that is a good article.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What did you do to the X today?