Notices
Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to the X today?

Old 06-19-2019, 09:19 PM
wildstang
VT Chapter Ldr
wildstang has a superb reputationwildstang has a superb reputationwildstang has a superb reputationwildstang has a superb reputationwildstang has a superb reputationwildstang has a superb reputationwildstang has a superb reputationwildstang has a superb reputationwildstang has a superb reputationwildstang has a superb reputationwildstang has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by WE3ZS View Post
Whats it doing, or not doing to make you think it's going out on you?
The other morning I backed up, put it in drive and just reved. Put in reverse then drive and had forward again. Then later in the day I pulled into the main road from a side road and stepped on it to get up to speed and it reved up more than it should have. Been shifting weird at times, kind of flaring, intermittently. I put some Lucas trans fix. Fluid has a possible light burnt smell.

Old 06-20-2019, 06:33 PM
ArmyLifer
Elder User
ArmyLifer is a splendid one to beholdArmyLifer is a splendid one to beholdArmyLifer is a splendid one to beholdArmyLifer is a splendid one to beholdArmyLifer is a splendid one to beholdArmyLifer is a splendid one to beholdArmyLifer is a splendid one to behold
Changed my 7.3’s oil today with some Triax 5w-40. Had their 15w-40 in it the last 5000 miles and no complaints. Looks like my EVPV pedestal delete and turbo rebuild have worked so far. Haven’t had any oil under the Ex in a week!

Old 06-20-2019, 06:47 PM
Skip1970
Post Fiend
Skip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputation
thinking about washing it this year.

Old 06-20-2019, 10:23 PM
Flyboy1100
Elder User
Flyboy1100 is a name known to allFlyboy1100 is a name known to allFlyboy1100 is a name known to allFlyboy1100 is a name known to allFlyboy1100 is a name known to allFlyboy1100 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by wildstang View Post
The other morning I backed up, put it in drive and just reved. Put in reverse then drive and had forward again. Then later in the day I pulled into the main road from a side road and stepped on it to get up to speed and it reved up more than it should have. Been shifting weird at times, kind of flaring, intermittently. I put some Lucas trans fix. Fluid has a possible light burnt smell.
Check the fluid feed bolts, sooner than later!

Old 06-21-2019, 09:05 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Toreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by DidieX View Post
From mid January to March I used the Ex daily and had no issues. Then over the last few months I only used it a handful of times. It seems the Ex didn't like that and a couple of new issues popped up. After the last drive the pcv valve popped out and oil sprayed everywhere out of the hole. And the input shaft seal on the Redhead steering box finally crapped out and leaked out all the fluid on my driveway, and I mean all of it. On top of that I have a few slight weeping leaks that I never took care of, one of the power steering lines and one of the transmission cooler lines are weeping slowly at the hose to hard line crimp. And on both sides of the top of the radiator I'm getting some seepage as well.

I'm wondering when to call it quits and just get a late model f250. I know these are mostly small and easily fixable issues, maybe the steering box is the costliest, but I'm just getting a little tired of repairing something else every few months. And the rockers aren't getting any less rusty either.....

Has anyone tried replacing the input shaft seal on the steering box?

Edit: these issues are besides the passenger side header that's barely hanging on (been like that for years already) and the brake line running to the rear that's getting pretty crusty.
I've gone though alot with Rudolph and he was purchased new August 2001. Here lately he was leaking oil, coolant, and transmission fluid. So much so that the garage I park at for work left me a violation notice.

The oil leak was the dipstick o-ring that was worn out. -New Viton o-ring = no more leaking
The transmission leak was the lines rubbing together and wearing a hole, then it was the front fitting from not being tight enough. -Between tightening it and replacing the lines, that fixed that leak
Coolant leak was coming from the heater core connections. I had a fun time breaking those stubborn quick connects off. Once I put hose on them instead of quick connects, the leak finally stopped. It also didn't help that the radiator cap failed.
On the way back from a meet, my Stage I injectors started failing. It took some time, but El_Coqui had some stock injectors laying around so I swapped them in and am back on the road.

All of this happened within the last two months.....

What do I learn from all this? To "count it all joy" because:

1. I know how to fix it and am not at the mercy of a Diesel Mechanic. (costs time and money)
2. Both my trucks are paid for and still run good.

Rudolph will be 20 next year in October, but I'll keep on trucking with him. He needs love every now and again, as the 6.0 will too, but I'll take no car payment over a $900-1500 truck payment.

Originally Posted by DidieX View Post
I bought the Redhead about 4 years ago, we had a group buy. I checked their website, warranty is only 12 months. It never felt right from the beginning, had more play then I thought it should for being a "premium" product. Save yourself the cash and just get an auto parts store rebuild, I'm sure it's not that much worse. I'm going to try to just replace the input shaft seal, it's only $10. If that doesn't work I'm going to swap it for the cheapest one I can find.
I bought into that too and went through a local rebuilder, come to find out I should've stuck with the lifetime warranty box from O'reilly. I only have to buy it once and warranty it out when it starts to get too loose or fails.

Old 06-21-2019, 11:19 AM
wildstang
VT Chapter Ldr
wildstang has a superb reputationwildstang has a superb reputationwildstang has a superb reputationwildstang has a superb reputationwildstang has a superb reputationwildstang has a superb reputationwildstang has a superb reputationwildstang has a superb reputationwildstang has a superb reputationwildstang has a superb reputationwildstang has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Flyboy1100 View Post
Check the fluid feed bolts, sooner than later!
what are those and where are they?

Old 06-21-2019, 11:27 AM
Gunnie357
New User
Gunnie357 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Didnt do it today but over the weekend I built storage drawers for the tank. They are the same height as the third row when folded and 22W and 24D.

Old 06-21-2019, 11:40 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
WE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by wildstang View Post
what are those and where are they?

This post discusses them and has pictures of them, inside the trans. Pan off, valve body removed and there they are.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...into-gear.html

Old 06-21-2019, 01:07 PM
EXSwap
Elder User
EXSwap is a splendid one to beholdEXSwap is a splendid one to beholdEXSwap is a splendid one to beholdEXSwap is a splendid one to beholdEXSwap is a splendid one to beholdEXSwap is a splendid one to beholdEXSwap is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Gunnie357 View Post
Didnt do it today but over the weekend I built storage drawers for the tank. They are the same height as the third row when folded and 22W and 24D.
Nice!!

What type of drawer slide did you use? And did you put dividers in the drawers? I'd love to see the overall construction....

And what's with the ram???

Old 06-21-2019, 01:30 PM
Gunnie357
New User
Originally Posted by EXSwap View Post
Nice!!

What type of drawer slide did you use? And did you put dividers in the drawers? I'd love to see the overall construction....

I used 24 ballbearing drawer sliders 100# rated. The box uses 3/4 MDF for everything else. I made it roughly 10 tall so it wouldnt hinder my ability to put lumber or other large items in. Now that its even with the third row I can simply fold it and the second and slide it in on top. Overall its 44x26x10. Took two sheets of MDF and roughly a box of screws. Ended up costing about $150 for supplies oh and a few barley pops. Drawers are completely open but they will hold standard ammo cans height wise with several across. Thus I can store the things I want in those and label them.

Old 06-21-2019, 01:33 PM
Gunnie357
New User
Originally Posted by EXSwap View Post
Nice!!

Also I lucked into the Excursion from a large dealership locally which has three different dealers the one that had it was Jeep/Dodge /Ram it had a Jeep front plate for months.

Old 06-21-2019, 01:39 PM
EXSwap
Elder User
EXSwap is a splendid one to beholdEXSwap is a splendid one to beholdEXSwap is a splendid one to beholdEXSwap is a splendid one to beholdEXSwap is a splendid one to beholdEXSwap is a splendid one to beholdEXSwap is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Gunnie357 View Post
Also I lucked into the Excursion from a large dealership locally which has three different dealers the one that had it was Jeep/Dodge /Ram it had a Jeep front plate for months.
Well done! A tool box is on the list for me as well. I think I may shoot mine with bedliner once complete as well. Might be a good place for the doggies to relax while on road trips and I wouldn't want them sliding around. Dog bed or a blanket should stick right to it.

Old 06-21-2019, 02:20 PM
Gunnie357
New User
Bedliner is kind of what Im thinking as well was going to carpet it but thats both a pain and expensive.

Old 06-21-2019, 07:37 PM
TheGageinator
Senior User
TheGageinator is starting off with a positive reputation.

About to start this job yuck. Trying to find some headers.

Old 06-22-2019, 06:50 AM
Excurvelle
Posting Guru
Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.
This weekend is get the Ex and camper set for a 2000 mile week starting Friday. Appointment today at Discount Tire for a balance and rotation, got to get the kayak racks on, fuel up and clean interior.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What did you do to the X today?

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.